Mimimi Games Is Closing Its Doors

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Mimimi Games Is Closing Its Doors

Post by Raging Justice »

https://www.psu.com/news/mimimi-games-c ... inal-game/

I don't think anyone likes to hear about a game development studio shutting down. Mimimi Games was a German studio responsible for some excellent real time strategy stealth games such as Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, a game similar to the Commandos and Desperado series, and an actual entry into one of those series in the form of Desperado III.

I have a vague memory of bashing Blades of the Shogun here or maybe on some other forum out of frustration towards its difficulty. I know I've done a few silly unhinged rants about some great games here in the past out of frustration, but Shadow Tactics is actually an excellent game if you are patient and learn its mechanics well. It has a great story and plays excellent on consoles, which is where I do most of my gaming, but I imagine it plays even better with mouse/keyboard controls on a PC. I never finished Desperados III, but what I played of it was excellent. It's a slightly better playing game with the same formula as Shadow Tactics. I think Desperados III made it slightly easier to control multiple characters for advanced stealth strategies. Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew is sadly their last game. I haven't played it, but it seems to be in the same vein as their previous two games and I've seen good reviews for it.

This studio didn't make a lot of games, but the ones they did provide an experience that isn't too common these days. You take the stealth elements of ninja games like Tenchu and Mark of the Ninja and add in real time strategy and an overhead, isometric perspective and that's basically what these games are. Blades of the Shogun has actual ninjas too. They offer wide open maps featuring several enemies to stealthily avoid (or take them out if possible). You have abilities, weapons, and environmental opportunities depending on the level to help you avoid or take out enemies. You'll have some sort of objective to complete, along with optional ones should you feel like replaying each level. You also can conveniently save your progress at any time (though some optional challenges limit this feature). This is partially why the games are pretty tough, as being able to save anytime gives you a big advantage. It also encourages players to try anything. Failure just means reloading your last save.

Typically you'll control 1-5 characters depending on the stage and using their abilities in conjunction like a team makes finishing levels easier. I'd argue that's the main hook of these games actually as it's possible to freeze time and assign a course of action for each of your characters. Then when you feel the time is right, you can hit a button and the AI will have each character do whatever you programmed them to do. A simple, basic example would be one character distracting two guards as another character approaches one from behind and a third character takes out the other with a projectile of some sort.

Now is a good time to check out their games if you haven't. They said they'd keep supporting Shadow Gambit and their previous games should still be available to purchase