Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Post by Key-Glyph »

My gosh folks, tomorrow is June! Normally we would have spent a little bit of time already considering our lists and dipping our toes into some games, so we gotta dive right into the deep end if we're gonna get moving on...

The Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2023!

The Challenge: A Quick History Lesson

Over a decade ago a forum member named SnickerD00dle began issuing an annual challenge: play through ten classic games you've never beaten over the course of the summer. The genius of the challenge is that it gives everyone the freedom to pursue their own individual lists while still guaranteeing that conversation will be lively, since each game you pick will no doubt hold a place in another participant's heart (or nightmares). It's a fantastic, collaborative way to experience beloved games of yore.

Generally speaking and simply put, a classic is a "definitive" game (or game series) that many gamers have played. I do not police lists... but @dsheinem might, so be prepared.

A great debt is owed to @alienjesus, who kept this challenge going every single summer for more years than I'm aware of. We can't thank them enough for taking this tradition under their wing for so long, rallying us all to have fun.

Difficulty Levels

Last year I introduced the idea of difficulty levels in the hopes that varying degrees of commitment would make the challenge seem more accessible to newcomers. That said, please believe me when I say no one actually cares if you set a specific goal and don't meet it -- we just want you to participate and have fun!

PEACEFUL MODE:
  • Make a list of 1-10 classic games you've never beaten
  • Try to finish 1 before the summer's end
VETERAN MODE:
  • Make a list of 5-10 classic games you've never beaten
  • Try to finish 5 before the summer's end
HARDCORE MODE (SnickerD00dle's original stipulations):
  • Make a list of 10 classic games you've never beaten
  • Try to finish all of them before the summer's end
And yes, a Nightmare Mode can exist for those of you who want to tackle 10+ games. Aim for the stars, folks. We're cheering you on.

Season Dates
  • Season Start: NOW 2023
  • Season End: September 2023
(Please note that season dates are more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. The goal is just to get active between now and the fall.)

So jump right in! Start building your lists or get right to playin'. Can't wait to see what everyone takes up this year.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Post by Key-Glyph »

Double post because here's my tentative list! I'm going to challenge myself with Veteran Mode, aiming to finish five of these before summer's end.

1. Out of This World (GEN)
2. Journeyman Project: Turbo! (PC)
3. Theme Park (GEN)
4. Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (GBA)
5. NHL Hockey '95 (GEN)
6. Lethal Enforcers (GEN)
7. Prince of Persia (Apple II)

I finally bought a copy of Out of the World last year, which I'm so excited about. It's my main summer goal. I've been wanting to play it for the challenge since 2018! I don't know much about it except that people were astounded I'd never heard of it, and also that @bogusmeatfactory said it's a "very keyglyph game" with its emotional undercurrent and emphasis on unspoken communication.

Journeyman Project: Turbo! is a game that's haunted me since it came as a pack-in CD with our first Windows computer. This will take a little bit of work to get running, but hopefully I'll be up for it. I NEED to understand this game. It eluded and terrified me as an adolescent, so of course I've been obsessed with its enigma ever since.

Theme Park is one of the few Genesis games I've owned from childhood that I've never beaten. I wrote it off as impossible back then... but maybe I can figure out how to be a better cutthroat capitalist?

I'm already dabbling with Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm really enjoying. I'm hoping that I'll get more consistent with playing it during the summer so that I can see it through. I've played several other Harvest Moons in the past -- DS Cute, Another Wonderful Life, and Magical Melody -- and this one is consistently talked up as one of the best, so I've been enjoying seeing the difference in balance and getting to know these characters that have had cameos in other titles.

Yes, I realize that NHL '94 is the super classic in the series, but NHL '95 is the version my best friend had growing up, and that's the one we played all the time. I picked up my own copy some years ago just to have that direct nostalgia line back to good memories, but I haven't tried seriously replaying it. This will be a fun, easy palette cleanser after something lengthy.

Lethal Enforcers is a game I picked up because of Nathan Barnatt and Keith Apicary, and I loved it -- but unfortunately the CRT TV I use has a slightly off-center projection, which made a certain enemy on a certain stage unshootable with my lightgun. I'm going to try again, maybe use the controller for that one level, or see if there's a Game Genie code for skipping it somehow as a last resort.

I don't know if I'll be able to play Prince of Persia since my Apple IIe is currently packed in the closet, but I've been trying to figure out a setup for that computer so that I can easily roll it out and use it in the office from time to time. Maybe this will motivate me to get that solidified!

Big dreams this year. Let's keep ambitious.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great list, Key! I think you’ll really like Out of This World too. It’s a stone-cold classic, and it is clearly on the “love” side of my love/hate relationship with cinematic platformers. On that note, if you can’t get the Apple II version of PoP running, you could try the NES port, which is really, really close to the Apple II version or the SNES port, which has a lot of extra content, enhanced graphics, etc. and is considered by HG101 to be the best version of the game. (The iconic Apple II version will always be definitive, though!)

I’m hard at work on TOTK, but I will need a break from time to time. Accordingly, I’m happy to participate, but my list will include a lot of short games:

Blazing Lazers - I’ve read this is a pretty good shmup, but I’ve never put in the time to get good at it.

Karate Champ - This is one of the first modern fighting games, and while it’s ROUGH, I really should try to get through it.

Legendary Axe - I’ve read this is the best classic “Rastan” game, bested only by the modern Volgarr the Viking. I go into this with a full understanding I’ll need save states to get through the last level.

Mappy - This Nampo classic is incredibly popular in Japan and is widely considered one of the greatest classic arcade games. I’ll find out why!

MERCS - This is the sequel to Capcom’s Commando, and while it wasn’t as big a hit as that game, it was one of my favorite arcade games. I’ve never beaten it, however, and I’d like to play through all of Capcom’s Commando/Bionic Commando games at some point. Accordingly, this seems like a natural fit. When I play it, I’ll probably play through the Arcade original and the Genesis and Sega Master System ports.

Metal Slug 3 - Is this the best Metal Slug game? I’ll find out!

Shock Troopers - This Neo Geo game is widely considered to be the best of the “commandos running around shooting stuff” games. It’ll be interesting to compare it to MERCS, and if I’m ambitious, I’ll add in Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad.

Trojan - This game was developed by legendary game designer Takashi Nishiyama after he left Irem. (He made it between It is more of a sequel to Kung Fu Master than either Vigilante or Spartan X2.). I’ll play through the arcade version and the NES port.

Twinkle Star Sprites - I don’t know much about this one, but HG101 put it on their greatest games list. I also have it on my Switch. I’ll give it a shot!

Windjammers - This Neo Geo game is kind of like Ping, I guess? People loved it enough to remaster it and release a lega-sequel many years later. Worth a shot! (Also, there’s a street near where I visit the beach named Wind Jammer South. The sign for it says “WindJammerS” which makes me think I need to play this game every time I visit the beach.)

prfsnl_gmr’s 2023 Summer Games Challenge List
Blazing Lazers
Karate Champ
Legendary Axe
Mappy
MERCS
Metal Slug 3
Shock Troopers
Trojan
Twinkle Star Sprites
Windjammers

…..

This thread thrives on discussion; so, please share your lists, thoughts, etc.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Metal Slug 3 is considered by some to be the worst Metal Slug game. Everything takes too many hits and the game is just WAY too long and way too hard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:Metal Slug 3 is considered by some to be the worst Metal Slug game. Everything takes too many hits and the game is just WAY too long and way too hard.

IDK…it’s at the top of many “best Metal Slug games” lists (e.g., TheGamer, GameRant, Ranking, etc.). I’ll find out, I guess. I’ve only beaten a few of these games (i.e., 1, X, Advance, 7); so, I’ll have to see how it compares.
marurun

Post by marurun »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
marurun wrote:Metal Slug 3 is considered by some to be the worst Metal Slug game. Everything takes too many hits and the game is just WAY too long and way too hard.

IDK…it’s at the top of many “best Metal Slug games” lists (e.g., TheGamer, GameRant, Ranking, etc.). I’ll find out, I guess. I’ve only beaten a few of these games (i.e., 1, X, Advance, 7); so, I’ll have to see how it compares.

I think it's more the 1cc players who hate Metal Slug 3.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:I think it's more the 1cc players who hate Metal Slug 3.

I am definitely not that player!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Alright! I've been waiting for this. I already started on May 20th... So because I may have cheated, I'll try for six games this year.

Here are my games for the RackeBoy Summer Games Challenge 2023 (in no particular order)
1. Illusion of Gaia (SNES) (5/29/23) - I beat Soul Blazer last summer and it has now crept into my "Favorite Games" list, so it makes sense to play the spiritual sequel.
2. Final Fantasy Legend (GB) - I saw someone do this game a couple of years ago and reading their playthrough was interesting. I recently modded another GBC and needed a game to play on it, so TAG this game is it.
3. The Lost Vikings (GEN) - I have owned this game since near the release date and never finished it. So this is the summer that I finally finish this game.
4. WonderBoy in Monster World (GEN) - Last year during the summer challenge I beat Popful Mail and loved it. Monster World was recommended to me as being similar, so that is how it made the list.
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - I wanted a platformer and since the only DKC game I beat was the one on the Wii a couple of years back, I wanted to play the original.
6. Metroid Prime (via the Trilogy on the Wii) - I played about halfway through the GC version years ago and stopped for a bit and was lost when I tried to play again so I have never finished it. I have the Wii version of the Metroid Prime Trilogy and heard that that is the best version to play.

The Illusion of Gaia (SNES) was completed on Memorial Day, and I have to say I was disappointed. The gameplay was nice, but the story was odd, made no sense, and was just offputting. I had no real motivation to play other than the gameplay was fun and the dungeon design was decent. I know this kind of game shouldn't rely on story and I should be satisfied with the good gameplay, but the story was so bad it ruined the whole game for me.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

SpaceBooger wrote:Alright! I've been waiting for this. I already started on May 20th... So because I may have cheated, I'll try for six games this year.
The Illusion of Gaia (SNES) was completed on Memorial Day, and I have to say I was disappointed. The gameplay was nice, but the story was odd, made no sense, and was just offputting. I had no real motivation to play other than the gameplay was fun and the dungeon design was decent. I know this kind of game shouldn't rely on story and I should be satisfied with the good gameplay, but the story was so bad it ruined the whole game for me.

Illusion of Gaia also has the problem that each new area is so focused on the hot new ability you just got/need to get that the other abilities are often neglected, meaning each new thing you get is quickly forgotten and made irrelevant by design decisions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

I will believe nothing until I hear the final verdict from prfsnl_gmr's own mouth. :mrgreen:

Also, thanks for those tips on Prince of Persia! I will definitely keep those alternatives in mind.

SpaceBooger wrote:2. Final Fantasy Legend (GB) - I saw someone do this game a couple of years ago and reading their playthrough was interesting. I recently modded another GBC and needed a game to play on it, so TAG this game is it.
3. The Lost Vikings (GEN) - I have owned this game since near the release date and never finished it. So this is the summer that I finally finish this game.

SO HYPED FOR THESE! Final Fantasy Legend III was a game I bought in middle school under the mistaken assumption that it was the Game Boy version of Final Fantasy III. I 1 ) was wrong, and 2 ) didn't understand the game at all. It remained a white whale for me until 2014 when I finally gave it a real go. Obviously you're playing a different installment, but I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

And Lost Vikings... just so great. That was another game I didn't understand as a kid but revisited later. My best friend had it and loved it back when we were in elementary school, but his attempts to explain it to me were very unsuccessful. Fifteen years later he let me borrow that same exact cartridge and I had an absolute BLAST with it. I hope you have the same experience! I've been meaning to actually buy my own copy for a while now... you might be inspiring me.

Also, there's no such thing as cheating on this challenge. I'm glad you already started on your own. :mrgreen:

EDIT: If no one has told you yet, you must use a 6-button controller for Lost Vikings on Genesis. I used my Nomad. Navigating the game is just way too cumbersome otherwise, and it's already a bit cumbersome in this port.

but that matt furniss soundtrack :chefkiss: (He didn't compose all the tunes, but all the adaptations bear his incredible style, and there was at least one original of his, I do believe. I 100% took dance breaks in my living room during my playthrough.)