Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Re: Gamer confessions

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I don't like Souls games
I HATE roguelikes
I almost always play on the easiest difficulty; I game for a power trip, not a challenge
I detest gaming on a PC, and it's my absolute platform of last resort
Kingdom Sharts is obscenely overrated and mid-tier at BEST

Based and I mostly agree.
The original From Software Souls games are alright but 99 times out of 100 I'd rather just play a "normal" ARPG. And I don't want to play any random game that's labeled "Soulslike."
Similar situation with roguelikes. I like the old Epyx Rogue and classic Mystery Dungeon, don't care at all about derivatives because most are trash.
High difficulty doesn't do much for me. I play games to chill and have fun, not to hustle and overcome and feel like a badass. I typically stick to normal mode.
PC gaming is alright. I could never get deep into the classic FPS, WRPG, etc. scenes though. I doubt I'll ever buy a dedicated "gaming PC" ever again.
Never played Kingdom Hearts. It looks cheap and schlocky and stupid. Tetsuya Nomura is a terrible character designer too.

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:In all fairness, the mainstream PS1 games are subpar experiences.

Agreed. I use the PSX exclusively for JRPGs plus a few random 2D platformers, golf games, and puzzle games. You couldn't pay me to play Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, or Twisted Metal. So much of that era is just so clunky and janky and ass ugly. Similar situation with the Sega Saturn, though I struggle to think of "mainstream" Saturn games lol.

Hot take / confession of my own: I don't like my strategy RPGs to get any more complicated than Shining Force. Games like Langrisser and Fire Emblem cross the line into tedium.

Yeah, I like my strategy games quick and elegant. I don't believe one needs to have to choose between a thousand options to make a strategy game "deep". That's just complex. Advance Wars Dark Conflict is by far my favorite strategy game. Shining Force 2 is one of the few turn based strategy campaigns I've beaten.

Which reminds me, I have another confession to make:
While I love the main Civilization games, my favorite is actually Civilization Revolution. :oops:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:Which reminds me, I have another confession to make:
While I love the main Civilization games, my favorite is actually Civilization Revolution. :oops:

It's certainly not my favorite, but I do adore Civilization Revolution. It was my entry to the series, and I have a lot of affection for it because I'd probably have gotten overwhelmed and dropped it if my first Civ had been Civ 4 (which was the newest at the time). Revolution was simple enough that it was easy to pick up and play but genuinely Civ enough to get me hooked and let me understand the basics before jumping into the main series.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I detest gaming on a PC, and it's my absolute platform of last resort

I think I just turned this from Gamer Confessions into Gamer Hot Takes, but whatever.

QFT. I cannot stand playing games on a PC.
Granted, my PC is so old that I bet it would have a difficult time running Zork. :lol:

Some others from me:
- I don't like The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. I think it has to do with how Link swings his sword. He does this wide arch that takes a few frames to actually hit what you want to hit. Compare it to something like Illusion of Gaia where the characters does a over the head arch and swings straight ahead. I want to replay Link to the Past again as it has been decades since I played it, so hopefully my opinion will change on the game.

- I don't like Super Mario 64. This one has to deal with the camera and the controls. I never feel like I am in full control of Mario as I am always fighting with where he jumps and what the camera is pointing at. I got into Mario 64 much later after I had gotten the N64. I had already played through the Zelda games and other 3D games, so I was jumping into it rather cold. I always been hesitant of playing other 3D Mario games because of Mario 64, but I hope to cross that bridge someday.

- I love Final Fantasy X-2. Granted, Final Fantasy X is my favorite game of all time, so I have a little bias. But, I love the battle system and the dress spheres so much in the game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Super Mario 64 is the last Mario game I played.

I haven't really been into JRPGs since the PS2 era.

I mainly play PC games these days, where I can get my fill of FPS, dungeon crawlers, and a random assortment of strategy, goofy co-op, and whatever else I feel like. The "cozy game" genre that I have started to learn about has been great to me. Titles like Unpacking and Dorf Romantik really grab me nowadays and offer such a wonderful experience.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Markies wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I detest gaming on a PC, and it's my absolute platform of last resort

I think I just turned this from Gamer Confessions into Gamer Hot Takes, but whatever.

QFT. I cannot stand playing games on a PC.
Granted, my PC is so old that I bet it would have a difficult time running Zork. :lol:

Some others from me:
- I don't like The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. I think it has to do with how Link swings his sword. He does this wide arch that takes a few frames to actually hit what you want to hit. Compare it to something like Illusion of Gaia where the characters does a over the head arch and swings straight ahead. I want to replay Link to the Past again as it has been decades since I played it, so hopefully my opinion will change on the game.

- I don't like Super Mario 64. This one has to deal with the camera and the controls. I never feel like I am in full control of Mario as I am always fighting with where he jumps and what the camera is pointing at. I got into Mario 64 much later after I had gotten the N64. I had already played through the Zelda games and other 3D games, so I was jumping into it rather cold. I always been hesitant of playing other 3D Mario games because of Mario 64, but I hope to cross that bridge someday.

- I love Final Fantasy X-2. Granted, Final Fantasy X is my favorite game of all time, so I have a little bias. But, I love the battle system and the dress spheres so much in the game.

Otherwise try the A Link Between Worlds in 3DS, it feels sped up a bit.
I couldn't stand the camera in Super Mario 64 either, and I could be dyslectic or something when it comes to an analog stick. I played the game on Nintendo DS with a D-pad and it went so much better! I still never beat it :|
However, Super Mario Odyssey lets you do nifty things with your cap, like jumping on it to sequence break, and I enjoyed that so much, I finished it. Except that crazy hard bonus level. #fakegamer
And yeah, Final Fantasy X-2 is a delight! It's much faster, has better strategy during fights, and some of the character development is moving.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Hmm if I turned this into things I don't like or series this post would be longer than War and Peace. Instead just be a simple confession post.

I have never played a Pokemon game.
I have played Digimon but not because I am a fan. I'm not but the Cybersleuth games were similar to SMT and I like SMT a lot. For whatever reason Pokemon never appealed to me.
I have never emulated a game on a PC or pirated a game. I have played emulated games but through official re-releases on newer platforms.
Ninja Gaiden III Razors Edge is my favorite game in the 3D games.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Segata wrote: Ninja Gaiden III Razors Edge is my favorite game in the 3D games.

Shots fired!!