Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2022

by marurun Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 pm

I agree that Wii Sports is just a pretty special piece of software.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:15 pm

The fact that wii sports has some value since covid is so damn strange. I mean, didn't it come with every wii... a console that sold a shit ton.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:The fact that wii sports has some value since covid is so damn strange. I mean, didn't it come with every wii... a console that sold a shit ton.

It came with them all early on, but they changed up the pack-ins in the latter half of the system's life. So the vast majority of Wii owners have a copy, but not everyone, and I reckon a lot of those copies probably got lost since it was just in a paperboard sleeve.

Games Beaten in 2021 - 15
* denotes a replay

January (15 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23

A little over a decade ago, a quirky little RPG called Cthulhu Saves the World made its debut on the Xbox 360 Indie storefront. I didn't have a 360 at the time, but as soon as I got one about three years later, it was among the first games that I downloaded. The entire premise of an RPG in which an eldritch evil saves the world rather than destroying it was enough to lure me in, and the humor in the game was spot on. Years later, a holiday themed prequel comes along. When Limited Run Games did a physical printing of this Christmas prequel, you know I had to jump on it.

Cthulhu Saves Christmas starts with, obviously, Cthulhu waking up in this bed in R'lyeh to find a present in his room. Upon opening the present, he realizes that it's actually an anti-present of sorts; instead of getting something, his powers are magically taken. Assuming that Santa was the culprit, he sets off to slay the slovenly saint, but he soon discovers that it was not actually Santa who stole his powers but the Christmas League of Evil, a group of Christmas-themed villains who have kidnapped Santa and seek to destroy Christmas. Without Santa, Christmas will never come. Clearly, the Grinch was an amateur who didn't have the first clue about how to actually steal Christmas.

The gameplay is a throwback to classic 8-bit and 16-bit JRPGs. You explore an overworld, open chests to find items, and battle enemies in a turn based format. Each area is capped with a boss at the end, and between areas, you'll have the opportunity to do a few side events out of a sizeable list to develop relationships with NPCs, gain better equipment, and generally flesh out the humor of the story. That's really where this game most excels - the humor. The writing in this game is absolutely hilarious, and it references not only Lovecraft (obviously) but also a slew of European myths as well as 4th-wall-breaking jokes. Not every game can pull that off, but this and its predecessor are the only ones I've played that can match Neptunia for well-delivered meta jokes.

Visually, the pixel sprites are gorgeous, and the game world looks fantastic, too. The music, while not jaw-dropping or anything, is excellent and never gets stale or annoying. The game has several difficulty levels from which to choose ranging from probably-too-easy to brutally challenging. When you finish the game, there's also a New Game+ to enjoy where you keep your characters, levels, items, etc. Since you can increase or decrease difficulty in-game via the menu, New Game+ is perfect for turning up the difficulty for a replay.

Cthulhu Saves Christmas is a perfect game for the holidays as it's not too long - only five or six hours - so you can play through it at Christmas and still have plenty of time to spend with your family. If, like me, you got distracted and Christmas and are playing this a month later, it's the perfect length for a single evening or two of gaming. At $10, it's a definite step up in price from Cthulhu Saves the World, but it's also a whole leap forward in quality, and I think that's a very reasonable price for the game that you get. It's extra enjoyable if you've played Cthulhu Saves the World (which is, unfortunately, now only available on PC; fingers crossed for a port to modern consoles), but even if you haven't played that, this is a fantastic experience in and of itself. I only wish it were longer.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:44 pm

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC
6. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - PC

Siberian Mayhem is a standalone expansion to Serious Sam 4 that started off as a mod before Croteam decided to promote it to a full game. It's five levels that expand the events near the end of the game (or maybe after the game? it's hard to say and Serious Sam canon isn't exactly tight). It serves as a distillation of what draws people to Serious Sam and what we got in Serious Sam 4, without really adding anything new, but that's ok.

The game does add one new weapon, a laser blaster that heats up enemies and when they die they explode, dealing damage to enemies around them. It serves a similar purpose to the chaingun in terms of blasting hordes, but has the added advantage of ignoring the enemies with shields, which only the SBC cannon can do. They also reskinned the tommy gun as an AK, because Russia.

One thing this game does well is the third stage goes for that open world map like they did in Serious Sam 4, but unlike there here it actually has a lot of little bits you can discover if you go off the direct path to the objective marker. It gives a better idea of what they could have done when they were thinking of making Serious Sam 4 an open world game, but I do think it was a good idea to not make that the entire game, as it doesn't lend itself well to some of the major arenas that Serious Sam is famous for.

Overall, if you liked Serious Sam 4 you'll like this. And the price isn't too bad.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 pm

1. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (NS)
2. Metal Slug 3 (XBO)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)

4. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (GEN)

I beat Castle of Illusion yesterday on the Genesis; a game I've had in my collection for years and finally buckled down to beat.

One of the more well known Genesis games, Castle of Illusion is very nice to look at and controls well. It was to me a "slow and steady" type platformer, which was generally easy with just a smattering of challenging jumps or boss patterns that took some figuring. It isn't too long and every stage has a pretty different feel. Mickey is well drawn and endearing, and the design of the game seems 100% committed to playability. I did feel "tricked" by some hanging chains in a level that I assumed I could grab, but were only background decor(leading to a couple of deaths in an early attempt).

I've enjoyed this game each time I've picked it up, but only recently considered that it came out before Sonic the Hedgehog appeared on the scene. With that context I feel this game deserves every bit of praise it gets, as it has stood the test of time as a great Genesis platformer even after Sega's mascot started to dominate that scene. If you like 16-bit and you like platformers you've probably already played this. If not, what are you waiting for? The only issue is it never shows up on the Genesis compilation games, I assume due to licensing.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 16
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24

Armed 7 is proof that the Dreamcast is still getting great games in the many years following its last "official" release thanks to the folks at Astro Port. Having since been ported to Wii U and Switch as part of Shmup Collection as well as being released on Steam, Armed 7 is an exemplar of horizontal shooter excellence. As a disclaimer, all screenshots were captured from the Switch version so as to avoid having to borrow someone else's screenshots.

Armed 7 is a retro-styled arcade shmup that not only captures the feel of the 16-bit era perfectly but, in my opinion, surpasses most of the offerings from that era. The visuals are colorful with gorgeous sprite work, the music is fantastic and upbeat enough to capture the action of a shmup but not so much that it distracts the player, and best of all, the controls are perfectly tight and responsive without the slightest hint of delay. With seven stages each capped with a boss and four difficulty settings, it's approachable for newcomers but challenging for veterans. It's not quite perfect - multiplayer would have been a welcome addition - but it's damn close.

Armed 7 is one of the best shmups on the Dreamcast, and it's a welcome addition to the Shmup Collection compilations on Switch and Wii U. While most folks won't play it on actual Dreamcast hardware, it plays like a dream no matter your platform of choice. Unless you're going for the physical Wii U release of Shmup Collection from Europe, it's affordably priced and a definite must-own for any shmup fan.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 17
* denotes a replay

January (17 Games Beaten)
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24

Satazius Next, like Armed 7, is not only a relatively recent release for the ill-fated and underappreciated (at least during its life) Dreamcast, but it's also among the finest shmups I've ever played. Once again, the folks at Astro Port have produced a truly exceptional and breathtaking Dreamcast shooter and, to my infinite pleasure, seen fit to port it both to the Switch as well as my beloved Wii U. ​As a disclaimer, the screenshots here are taken from the Switch port so as to avoid having to borrow someone else's screenshots as I don't have the ability at the moment to capture screenshots from Dreamcast hardware.

Satazius Next, like Armed 7, is a horizontally scrolling shooter, but Astro Port really went above and beyond with this one. Like their other games, the sprites are fantastic and the music exceptional, and the controls are as tight as responsive as you could possibly hope for. What makes Satazius stand out, though, is the incredible level design. In most shmups, the enemies and their shots are your main danger - hence the colloquial nickname "bullet hell" - and any obstacles in the level are mostly just a minor annoyance to add a little extra challenge. While not to understate the threat that the enemies pose to you, that formula gets flipped on its head in Satazius Next. Especially after the first couple of levels, the obstacles and physical design of the levels is definitely your greatest threat while the enemies mostly serve to exacerbate that threat by limiting your movement with their shots. I very rarely died to enemy fire in this game, but the level itself killed me a LOT. There are tons of platformers with ingeniously brutal level designs and layouts, but Satazius Next is one of the few shmups I've played with equally diabolical level designs, and it makes the game feel totally different to most of the genre. With multiple difficulty levels and weapons to unlock and level up, there's a lot of replay value here, too.

Satazius Next took me over twice as long to clear on Easy as Armed 7 did just because of how difficult the levels got. Once you get to the second half of the game, the brutal levels are accompanied by some seriously damage-sponge bosses, too. It's certainly not the hardest shmup I've ever played, but it's one that poses a genuine challenge as opposed to just being generally "hard," if that distinction makes any sense. You have to memorize not just enemy patterns but level layouts, and that's something most of the genre doesn't require, at least not to this extent. It made for a refreshing (even if frustrating) experience, and I truly can't recommend this game highly enough. It's definitely in my Top 10 Shmups of All Time list now.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:41 am

Trying to catch up to my man, Elkin! Not quite there, though…With one shining exception, this last batch of Switch games was pretty rough, and I put a few of them aside for a bit. Hopefully, the next batch will be better.

….

1. Space Warrior (Switch)
2. Itta (Switch)
3. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (Switch)
4. Mask of Mists (Switch)
5. Metagal (Switch)
6. Foxyland 2 (Switch)
7. Submerged (Switch)
8. Back to Bed (Switch)
9. Thoth (Switch)
10. 140 (Switch)
11. Infinite: Beyond the Mind (Switch)
12. Ninja Striker (Switch)
13. Kid Tripp (Switch)
14. Miles & Kilo (Switch)
15. Neon Junctions (Switch)
16. Golf Zero (Switch)

Ninja Striker is a really fast, really fun action platformer in which you, a cute ninja, rack up giant combos by dispatching as many enemies and collecting as much yen as possible without touching the ground. Similar to The Messenger, striking an enemy with your sword lets you jump again, and you can air dash from one enemy to the next. You’ll quickly be jumping from one enemy to the next and racking up combos in the triple digits. (My record was a fast and furious 400+ hit combo.) Your score at the end of each level is multiplied if you finish the level quickly and if you finish without taking any damage, and a higher score earns you a higher rating. The game features 5 stages, each with four levels, and a boss battle. You can likely roll the credits on the game in under an hour, but getting a three-star rating in each level with each of the game’s four playable characters might take you months. Recommended.

Kid Tripp is a level-based auto runner that takes a lot of cues from Hudson’s Adventure Island (or Westone’s Wonder Boy). It features a tropical setting and you can throw a projectile in an arc. You also run forward automatically, but you can slow your pace. You can also stop completely if you run into a non-lethal obstacle. Each level contains a bounty of coins, and you receive a medal if you collect all of the coins in a level. The game has very pleasing pixel art, but the viewpoint is zoomed in too much, making it hard to see what coming. You also run way too fast. As a result, the game is more frustrating than fun, and I simply tolerated it until I rolled the credits. Not recommended.

Miles & Kilo is another platformer by Four Horses, which also developed Kid Tripp, and I didn’t enjoy Kid Tripp, I went in with pretty low expectations. Thankfully, however, I was very pleasantly surprised, and I ended up absolutely adoring Miles & Kilo. Even more so than Kid Tripp, Miles & Kilo is inspired by Hudson’s Adventure Island. (So much so, in fact, that if you know the patterns of certain enemies in Adventure Island (e.g., green frogs, purple frogs, etc.), you will be able to predict their movements in Miles & Kilo.) Unlike Kid Tripp, however, Miles & Kilo isn’t an auto-runner, and unlike any game in the Adventure Island series, Miles & Kilo is tremendous fun. The levels are varied and well-designed, and the game features some really stupendous boss battles, each of which sees you chasing a boss to recover a part to your damaged plane. Miles, a boy, controls really well, running, jumping, and throwing fruit, but when you reach your dog, Kilo, the game transforms into an auto-runner, as Kilo adorably pulls Milo along with his leash. (Kilo, apparently, never learned to heel.) These sections are fast, fun, and, since they aren’t so zoomed in, fair, and they add some variety to the gameplay. You receive a rating for each level based on how long it took you to complete the level, how many coins you collected, and how much fruit you had to spare at the end. Getting a “S” rank on each level is difficult, but by no means grueling, and I gleefully replayed each level until I had perfected the game. Miles & Kilo is just a really, really fun old-fashioned platformer, and anyone who has ever halfway enjoyed an Adventure Island game will surely love it. Very Highly Recommended.

Neon Junctions is a first-person puzzle game where you place blocks to complete circuits. The puzzles are very easy, and you can beat it in an hour or so. It’s not bad, but it’s pretty dull. While you should definitely play the developer’s subsequent game, Mask of Mists, you can very safely skip Neon Junctions. Not Recommended.

Golf Zero combined Super Meat Boy precision platforming with golf. That is, you run and jump to avoid swinging blades, spikes, and buzz saws before attempting to hit a ball into a hole. You get three shots, some of which you must sometimes use to hit a button or disarm a trap, and you have to get at least one ball into the hole to complete each level. Time also slows down for three seconds while you are aiming your shots, and each level usually concludes with you leaping to your doom as you fire off one last shot at the pin. It’s a compelling concept, but unfortunately, the execution is lacking. The platforming physics can be unpredictable, and whether you get the ball in the hole at the end of each level is sometimes even less predictable. Accordingly, you have to replay levels frequently despite overcoming the platforming challenges. The game is also too long, and ends up being not that fun, despite the novel concept. Not Recommended.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:47 am

THE LIST:
1. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3. Freedom Planet (Switch)
4. Aleste (PS4)
5. Gunpey DS (DS)
6. GG Aleste (PS4)
7. Dr. Mario (GB)
8. Motor Toon Grand Prix (PS1)
9. PaRappa the Rapper (PS1)
10. GG Aleste II (PS4)
11. Power Strike II (PS4)

9. PaRappa the Rapper (PS1) - this was a replay for me; I was thinking about how I'd like to replay PaRappa and Um Jammer Lammy but with "Cool" ratings for each stage and to my surprise I did that in every stage in PaRappa in one night! This game is really a lot of fun and is just the kind of oddball title that I can't imagine Sony making nowadays. I'm pretty sure it's the first rhythm game, but the gameplay isn't anything like what came later: it's kind of like a game of Simon where you copy what an instructor does but it ALSO lets you kind of freestyle/improve your raps and AFAIK that's the only way to get a "cool" rating. Once you're cool, the instructor leaves and you have to freestyle for the rest of the stage unless you do a bad job and your rank goes back down to "good". I don't know if I could really explain how to get that cool beyond "press a lot of buttons but also try to be in time with the music" but I guess that's enough! I love PaRappa, but I think Um Jammer Lammy is the better game; I'll have to revisit that one soon...

10. GG Aleste II (PS4) - Knocking off another title from the PS4 Aleste Collection. After playing it, I get why people say this one's more impressive than the first GG Aleste and I'm inclined to agree. It's a great shmup! It's more complex than the first one and features more variable difficulty. It's a game that has a lot going on but doesn't get overwhelming. As far as classic STG action on the Game Gear, it really stands out, I'm a little surprised it never came out in the US. Very glad to have played it; I still want to spend a little more time replaying it. M2 did a great job with the Aleste Collection, but while they added some nice CRT filters, I'd have liked a more specific Game Gear filter for the GG Aleste games. They feel like handheld games and playing them on a TV is just vaguely wrong. Oh well, it's still fun!

11. Power Strike II (PS4) - Yet another Aleste game! This one was only released in Europe for the SMS. I have to say it's kind of wild that even into the 90s, there were Japanese developers making great games like this exclusively for the European SMS market! This one is a tremendous improvement over the first Aleste/Power Strike - the difficulty feels much more fair and it's easier to keep track of everything on screen. There's a kind of bonkers story about how this game is set during the 1930s and your job is to shoot down air pilots around Italy. This is a top-tier 8-bit console shmup. While it isn't an absolutely perfect release, that Aleste Collection is exceeding my expectations!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 18
* denotes a replay

January (18 Games Beaten)
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25

18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25

Like Armed 7 and Salazius Next, the last two games I reviewed, Wolflame is a truly excellent Dreamcast shmup made by genius team at Astro Port. Unlike those two games, it's not included in Shmup Collection on Wii U, but it fortunately is included in the Shmup Collection on Switch. Real OGs, however, will play this on Dreamcast. As a disclaimer, the screenshots here are taken from the Switch port so as to avoid having to borrow someone else's screenshots as I don't have the ability at the moment to capture screenshots from Dreamcast hardware.

Unlike Armed 7 and Salazius Next, Wolflame is a vertically scrolling shooter. Personally, I much prefer the vertical scrolling to horizontal scrolling, so this was a great change of pace for me after playing two horizontally scrolling shooters. Like the two aforementioned games, Astro Port did a fantastic job with every aspect of this game. The sprite art, as always, is fantastic, and I personally think that this has the best music of any of their games to date (at least the ones that I've played). As always, tight controls bring an exceptionally fun and responsive shooter, and when you die, you always know it's your fault. You won't find any cheap or BS deaths here.

The only thing really keeping Wolflame from perfection are the lack of multiplayer. The difficulty curve is extremely fair, the bosses are tough but not insurmountable, and each of the three weapon pick-up types are totally distinct and have their own roles. It would have been cool to see some environmental hazards in the level design like with Salazius Next, but as a more traditional vertical shmup, Wolflame is hard to beat. Being on the Dreamcast is yet another check in its column.

Return to General Gaming