Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
elricorico
32-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2022

by elricorico Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:35 pm

1. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (NS)
2. Metal Slug 3 (XBO)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)
4. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (GEN)
5. Arc the Lad (PS)
6. Rayman Origins (PC)
7. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
8. Final Fantasy IX (NS)
9. Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)
10. Mario Golf - Advance Tour (GBA)
11. Cat Quest (PC)

12. Soul Calibur VI (PS4)

I recently picked up Soul Calibur VI at a pawn shop for a whopping $5. I've been a fan of the series since playing Soul Blade on the Playstation at a friend's house. I've thoroughly played through that, and SC1 and SC2. Three and Four are in my collection, but I haven't really touched them yet. For whatever reason I recently had the urge to play a modern fighter and I went with this.

I "beat" the game by playing through all of the characters' stories in the "Soul Chronicle" mode. I also dabbled in the arcade mode and the quasi RPG "Libra of Soul" mode, but didn't play either of those to completion. I will say that I really enjoyed the fighting mechanics - not terribly much has changed with how the game plays even as far back as the earliest entries in the series, but there are some small extras and the action does stay consistently fast and fun. Moves and combos are reasonably easy to pull off, and you can play fairly successfully as a button masher, but there is also a lot to offer if you dig into a character's move list to really learn their strengths.

I will say that this game made me wish that DLC wasn't a thing. Part of the fun of late nineties/early 2000s fighting games was unlocking a bunch of characters and stages and modes, but in this game only one character was unlocked by gameplay. A quick peak at the DLC and I figured about 10 more characters had been released, but only if you want to pay for them. It took away one of the reasons I wanted to play - to see who or what I could unlock and try next. Games like Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur 2 had like 8-10 characters you could unlock through playing, and those games resonate as some of my favourite fighting game experiences of all time. I don't think that is coincidental.

Visuals are great, sound and music do the trick, the story is poor enough that I skipped through much of it. If I was to sum up how I felt about Soul Calibur VI, I would have to say: "Playing" the game is great, but the overall experience left me feeling like something special was lost.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:35 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2022!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
2. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Streets of Rage 4 (NS)
4. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest (GCN)
5. Dirge Of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
6. Darkstalkers (PS1)
7. Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device (SDC)
8. Ogre Battle 64: Person Of Lordly Calibur (N64)
9. Draogn Quest VI (SNES)
10. Batman: The Video Game (GEN)
11. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
12. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)

13. Pokemon Red (GB)

I beat Pokemon Red on the Nintendo GameBoy this afternoon!

Back in my late High School/early College days, some 20 years ago, I was actually quite big into the original Pokemon games. After some initial repulsion, a friend of mine introduced me to the series and I played both of the first two generations quite frequently. I was never a big fan of portable gaming, so when I moved out into my own place and I could play video games on a television whenever I wanted, portable gaming just kind of died. Thankfully, I have found ways to play all GameBoy and GameBoy Advance games on my televisions again, so I have become interesting in those systems now. And I figured for my first GameBoy game to revisit a game I hadn't played in about 15 years.

When I first put in Pokemon Red, the wave of nostalgia that hit me was harder than I had ever experienced in quite a while. The memories of playing the game on the GameBoy or through Pokemon Stadium were extremely vivid. Thankfully, all those memories made playing through quite a breeze and I enjoyed every moment of it. I began to remember where every Pokemon was located and which ones I wanted to add to my team. As an older gamer, I had no interest in collecting them all, so I stuck with my team throughout the entire game. I also began to realize how much of my RPG's thoughts were started when I played Pokemon. How I treated Wild Pokemon as Random Battles. How I treated my Pokemon as party members instead of interchangeable creatures. How I tried to horde the experience for the people that really mattered. Pokemon was first real RPG and I can see how it has shaped me as a RPG fan. The game is obviously not perfect, but I still really enjoyed going through that part of me.

Overall, I really enjoyed my trip down memory lane while playing through Pokemon Red. Obviously, this is a different review as everybody has played Pokemon and this is a game I know quite well. But, even though Generation 1 is extremely unbalanced and they have made so much more improvements throughout the series, I will always have a fondness and nostalgia for the first generation of Pokemon. It was one of those games that made me interested in RPG's and one of those games that kept completely addicted. I had an absolute blast going through with my friends: Venusaur, Golduck, Hypno, Dugtrio, Raichu & Growlithe.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:29 pm

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC
6. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - PC
7. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch
8. Ni no Kuni II - PS4
9. Everspace - PC
10. PowerSlave Exhumed - PC
11. Horizon Forbidden West - PS5
12. Elden Ring - PS5
13. Shadow Warrior 3 - PC
14. Ghostrunner: Project_Hel - PC
15. Triangle Strategy - Switch
16. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - PC
17. Nightmare Reaper - PC
18. Kur - PC
19. Gundam Versus - PS4
20. BIOTA - PC
21. Chantelise - PC
22. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
23. Forgive Me Father - PC
24. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
25. Steel Assault - Switch

While I'm working on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I decided to take a short break for an indie platformer. I figured I could spend an evening with it now that I'm at the halfway point of the RPG. And Steel Assault was up to the task, though it ended up being a weird combination of hard, forgiving, and short.

Steel Assault can be summed up as "melee Contra". It's got the same sort of side scrolling with dudes spawning behind you and dudes in front of you gameplay, with most things dying in one or two hits. Instead of a gun you have a whip that extends out a short distance, but has the same eight way aiming. You have a double jump and a slide with invincibility. The whip can cancel most enemy shots, which gets used a lot for traversal (and against certain boss patterns). And then there is a grapple hook; this works quite differently from the grapple in Contra 4. When you activate it your character fires a grapple in two directions (default is forward and back, but you can go up and down or at an angle by holding a direction when firing). If both ends anchor into something before they run out of rope you will attach the two, and now you're on a rope you can traverse across its length. You can jump off this to get a boost, so you can imagine in a vertical corridor you will keep doing the sideways grapple, then jump to rise above that point and repeat. Unfortunately, it tends to only do anything in specific setpieces, like the aforementioned vertical climb or against certain boss patterns designed for them.

The game has no extra lives, but continuing puts you on the current section of the level. And when you move between sections you get a full health refill. You have infinite continues, and all of this combined makes the overall gameplay reasonably forgiving, as you never lose much progress. On the flip side, the actual action is quite difficult. You'll find that the lack of area on your attack causes you to take a lot of hits that you wouldn't normally take in a Contra game. The slide's i-frames are important to use, but the slide also has a narrow traverse and a short duration, so against attacks you're supposed to slide through you need to get the timing exactly right or you'll catch the end of the attack anyway. And the easy continuing reveals that the five levels are quite short. I completed the game in a little over an hour, and it felt like credit feeding a shmup that doesn't reset your progress. I would consider restarting the level when you die, but that might be too far on the nasty end. I think the gave would have been served with a three lives per stage system.

Overall I came away from Steel Assault disappointed. Blazing Chrome does a far better job of being a modern take on Contra, while Steel Assault has new ideas but doesn't execute them well. If you can pick it up on sale you might enjoy it, but I don't think it's worth full price.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:50 am

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC
6. Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - PC
7. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch
8. Ni no Kuni II - PS4
9. Everspace - PC
10. PowerSlave Exhumed - PC
11. Horizon Forbidden West - PS5
12. Elden Ring - PS5
13. Shadow Warrior 3 - PC
14. Ghostrunner: Project_Hel - PC
15. Triangle Strategy - Switch
16. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - PC
17. Nightmare Reaper - PC
18. Kur - PC
19. Gundam Versus - PS4
20. BIOTA - PC
21. Chantelise - PC
22. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
23. Forgive Me Father - PC
24. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
25. Steel Assault - Switch
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - Switch

In the beginning, there was TMNT II: The Arcade Game. And it was good. Then there was TMNT: Turtles in Time. And it was good. Now we have a return to those heady days of our youth, with Shredder's Revenge. It is the perfect successor to those games of our youth, and shows what a developer who truly loves the property they're working on can do.

If you've ever played a classic beat em up you know what you're in for here. There's a total of 16 levels, each taking about 5-7 minutes each, for a solid but not overwhelming runtime. You have a basic four hit combo, as well as various modified moves like charges, jump kicks, and throws. It will all be very familiar to people who have played Turtles in Time, and it all flows together extremely well. Enemies will come on screen from the sides, as well as more creative directions. You get an extra life every 200 points, with enemies being worth one, score pickups existing, and bosses giving extra points.

It's actually kind of hard to talk about the game, because fundamentally it's the logical evolution from Turtles in Time. Just like we saw the increase in graphical and animation fidelity, as well as attack options, when we went from TMNT II to Turtles in Time, we see the same evolution here. All the animations are smooth and pretty, you have a few more attack options and things chain better, but fundamentally it's the same game as before. I guess the biggest change is the nature of your "oh shit" attack. TMNT II didn't have one, just a short hop slash that did double damage, while Turtles in Time had a health draining desperation attack. Shredder's Revenge instead has a bar that fills as you hit enemies without being hit yourself; getting hit clears the bar. Filling the bar entirely (a 16 hit combo) keeps it from draining again and can be cashed in for the equivalent to the desperation attack, but now you're not spending health. Skilled play allows you to use these regularly.

Overall, this is a perfect recreation of my childhood and serves as the best TMNT beat em up ever made. If you have friends it supports up to six people (though that can get chaotic), and there's enough variety in enemies and locations that you won't get bored midway through. And it even has a pretty sweet remix of Krang's theme. Highly recommended.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:20 pm

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge - PS 4

The devs for this have worked on TMNT (2007) on GBA by Ubisoft Montreal and Scott Pilgrim and it shows. The gameplay feels rooted in those two titles. Michaelangelo's jump kick is literally the same move I've seen in TMNT on GBA and the leveling up to acquire new moves feel right out of the Scott Pilgrim game. Shredder's Revenge does adds its own tweaks to the game play though to feel like a different game and does forge its own identity. Combat is a bit smoother and faster paced than those games. It's overall a decent beat 'em up and it is FULL of nods to older Turtles games as well as the 80s cartoon. There's a real nostalgia overload here...which is a bad thing. Shredder's Revenge kept making me think of those older games...like Turtles in Time on the SNES and Hyperstone Height on the Sega Genesis. I consider Turtles in Time on the SNES to be the best turtles game and I wanted something that plays similar to that...and Shredder's Revenge doesn't.

Little things for example, like the joy of throwing or slamming enemies in Turtles in Time. In Shredder's Revenge, executing any kind of grapple move is SLOW. You have to get close to them, grab them, and then wait like a whole second before your turtle executes the move. In Turtles in Time, I hit a foot soldier, push up or down plus the attack button and immediately execute a Mode 7 throw or ground slam. Plus, the AI is so aggressive in Shredder's Revenge it can be hard to even get your hands on them without getting hit. In Turtles in Time, any item you strike towards an enemy is a one hit kill. In Shredder's Revenge, the street cones just do minor damage. Plus, they don't go across the screen horizontally. I also hate how you have to double tap jump to get a really high jump. That feels really un-intuitive. I could go on and on pointing out little things in Shredder's Revenge that just feel..."off" to me as an old school turtles fan. That doesn't mean it's bad...just not what I wanted. I'm not saying I wanted a Turtles in Time/Hyperstone Height clone, but I would have liked a game that builds upon the gameplay of those titles. Shredder's Revenge is being targeted to people who love those games, but it plays so differently from them and I don't feel like it's a better game than they were. In fact, the game is CONSTANTLY referencing them and copying things from them, which only serves to remind me how much more I enjoyed playing those games than I did Shredder's Revenge. They are STILL the best Turtles games...at least officially. There are also some fan games out there waaaaaaaay better than Shredder's Revenge like Rescue Palooza to name one.

I'm also getting a little tired of every new beat 'em up using the Streets or Rage 4 combo system. I hate how when you take a hit, your super meter drops down to zero. It's much easier to just spam the taunt button whenever you get some breathing room to quickly build your super meter. In fact, that tactic is so abuseable that the game can get pretty mindless. Spam taunt to build up your super meter. Destroy enemies with super moves. Spam taunt to build up your super meter. Destroy enemies with super moves. Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. Shredder's Revenge isn't balanced well

So, I don't like Shredder's Revenge, but I think many people will...and that's fine. Also, when did April learn to fight? That must be a recent development. She wasn't a fighter in the 80s cartoon.

Final Vendetta - PS 5

Generic, Final Fight, Streets of Rage clone. It's...fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It controls well, looks good, and the soundtrack is great. However, I've played Final Fight/Streets of Rage clones before and this brings nothing new to the table. Much like Kao the Kangeroo, it's uninspired, more interested in copying the past than improving upon it or establishing its own identity. Yawn. Look at Infernax. It's based on Castlevania II, but it ultimately is a much better, smarter, and more clever game. Instead of just copying the past it improves upon it. Final Vendetta is just, "Hey Look! We can do Final Fight too!"

Yeah...so? I can get a ton of similar games on the Beats of Rage program and I've seen games on there that are WAY more impressive and WAY more creative and imaginative. You're not special Final Vendetta. There's like 50 Beats of Rage games that are exactly like your game or better.

I was pretty hype for these two games...and didn't enjoy them. Maybe I am getting jaded with beat 'em ups and need a break from the genre
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:27 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2022!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
2. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Streets of Rage 4 (NS)
4. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest (GCN)
5. Dirge Of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
6. Darkstalkers (PS1)
7. Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device (SDC)
8. Ogre Battle 64: Person Of Lordly Calibur (N64)
9. Draogn Quest VI (SNES)
10. Batman: The Video Game (GEN)
11. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
12. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)
13. Pokemon Red (GB)

14. Wii Sports (Wii)

I beat Wii Sports on the Nintendo Wii this afternoon!

To be honest, I didn't like the Nintendo Wii when it first came out. I thought the hype was completely over blown and the Motion gimmick didn't appeal to me at all. I thought that all games would control terrible as I much preferred holding a controller with some sort of precision. Even after both of my friends got one, I still wasn't all that excited. Eventually, the years faded and the hype died down, but the Wii kept going. Every so often, an interesting game would come out or I would play one and it wasn't just motion controls. Finally, another friend of mine offered to give me his old Wii because he didn't use it anymore and that is when I decided to take the plunge. So, while shopping for my new console, I found Wii Sports and I figured it would be a perfect game as my first Wii game.

At one time, Wii Sports was almost a weekly occurrence at my friend's house. Every now and then, we would like to go out bowling, so to do it in his basement was kind of a thrill. It was mostly just a relaxing time to talk while playing, but it was still fun to see our scores go up and down throughout the months. Bowling was when it kind of stopped, so when I played it recently, I dug more into the other sports. Bowling and Baseball were always my favorites, so I very enjoyed hitting homeruns in the training mode to see how many I could hit. Playing a game kind of lacked its luster after a bit, so I then moved onto the other sports. Golf isn't too bad, but much like every other golf game, it can be a bit frustrating. Boxing and Tennis would be the ones that gave me the most workout, so I didn't play those maybe more than once. Before playing the regular modes, I went through all of the training modes as well, which was quite fun. I always like when they condense a part of a sport into a small area and just focus on it. Either hitting in baseball or more pins in Bowling or hitting a ball against a wall in Tennis or anything like that makes it simple and fun.

Overall, I still enjoyed my time with Wii Sports. There is not much to the game, especially with no credits and not saving your Medals. But, for basically a tech demo, it is an interesting game. I don't think it is something I want to spend hours and hours playing consecutively, but it is still a fun game to play every now and then to beat my scores or even just sweat for a little bit.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:55 pm

Wii Sports (and even Resort) is a bore when alone but great fun with company, especially when drinks are involved.

Markies wrote:8. Ogre Battle 64: Person Of Lordly Calibur (N64)

I beat Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur tonight on the Nintendo 64.

[snip]

Ogre Battle 64 is an epic strategy RPG where you command units on a field trying to take over the bases of your opponent. In each map, there is a boss and after he is defeated, the battle is over and you move onto the next map. Rinse and repeat for almost 80 hours. Yes, make no mistake about it, Ogre Battle 64 is a BEAST of a game. It is one of the largest and longest games I have played since I played NIS SRPG's on the PS2. Maps take between an hour or two and then you have about 30 minutes of upkeep between battles. The game has a large pension to accidentally win, so many times, you will loose those hours on resetting. But, once you get a strategy down and you get a good team, Ogre Battle 64 became one of the most addictive games I have ever played. It is all I have been thinking about for the past month. Defeating enemies and winning the battles is such a satisfying experience. After the battles, you can customize your teams, train them, change their classes and watch them grow. I grew attached to each character and I kept manipulating my teams to optimize them more. I learned so much about the game and I just wanted to keep playing more. It takes a bit, but by the end, I felt like I had an unstoppable army.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with Ogre Battle 64. Once again, it is a BEAST of a game and not something you can beat quickly. Also, the interface is a bit clunky and its easy to loose battles if you aren't too cautious. However, if you want a deep Role Playing experience on the N64, I can't think of a better game. It stands out on the console and should be sought after by anybody who enjoys these types of games. It is definitely one of my favorite games of the genre and on the console!

Congrats on beating this! I missed this post earlier. I've long maintained that Ogre Battle 64 is the single best strategy RPG of all time, and actually I'd probably just make that any and all RPGs. (BoneSnapDeez thought so about 5th gen RPGs, but considering 5th gen RPGS are better than any that came later, I guess logically Ogre Battle hasn't been bested yet!) I remember starting a thread years ago asking for more games like it, but sadly, we got just the two.

Oh, well, a man can dream.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters is the closest we've gotten to Ogre Battle since 64. It's the same sort of army building and combat, but unit movement is turn based on a grid, rather than real time.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 am

Thank You!

It's hard because Final Fantasy X is my favorite game and I absolutely loved Streets of Rage 4 before I even played it. But, if I had to pick my favorite game that I played this year that was completely new to me, it would be Ogre Battle 64. I played that game for a bit over a Month and that was all I thought about. That game was my full attention and I thought about it quite often when I wasn't even playing it.

I have been looking for Soul Nomad for so many years. It was high on my want to buy list. It is one of the few NIS/Atlus titles that I don't own. Now that you associate it with Ogre Battle 64, I want it even more!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:04 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 26
* denotes a replay

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25
19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25
20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

February (1 Games Beaten)
21. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch - February 5

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (3 Games Beaten)
22. The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation 4 - April 9
23. Metro 2033 Redux - PlayStation 4 - April 14
24. Sakura Angels - Switch - April 26

May (2 Games Beaten)
25. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - Gamecube - May 8
26. Metro Last Light Redux - PlayStation 4 - May 14

26. Metro Last Light Redux - PlayStation 4 - May 14

Metro: Last Light is a direct sequel to Metro: 2033 and picks up after the end of that game. In its original release, Last Light took on a much more action-oriented approach compared to 2033’s more horror-focused gameplay, but the Redux remaster of the two allows you freely choose between the more ammo and more action focus of Last Light and the less ammo and more horror focus of 2033 for both games. I, of course, being a violence and carnage loving American, chose the former in both games.

The story picks up one year after the end of 2033. After Artyom defeats the Dark Ones and destroys their nest, he goes off doing badass Spartan Ranger stuff until he hears a rumor about a single surviving Dark One. Miller, commander of the Spartan Rangers, sends Artyom out to kill this last Dark One with his daughter, Anna, tagging along for sniper support. Khan, Artyom’s cryptic mystic friend from the first game, urges Artyom not to kill the Dark One and encourages him to try to communicate with it instead. While conflicted, Artyom sets out to accomplish the mission assigned to him by Miller, opting to take a “cross that bridge when I come to it” approach on whether or not to kill the Dark One.

Obviously, things don’t go exactly to plan (there wouldn’t be much of a game otherwise), so Artyom is once again trekking across the Metro and leaving mountains of mutant, Nazi, and communist corpses in his wake. As far as the overall feel of the game, Last Light feels a lot more fast-paced than 2033 if you’re playing the original releases, but the Redux remasters do a good job of keeping it feeling pretty on-par with 2033 if you play through them in the same gameplay style (Spartan for more action, Survival for more horror). Last Light does, however, have some much larger environments than 2033 for some awesome firefights. Visually, the game is identical to 2033 if playing the remasters and only a little more polished looking if playing the original releases, but they’re definitely nice-looking games. The stealth mechanics are extremely well done, balancing visibility in light and the effect sound has on enemy alertness. You’re also, fortunately, not required to use stealth unless you want to minimize kills and go for the good ending, so you can just kill everything if that’s more your style (something I learned the hard way - the good ending is canon, so if you go on a genocidal rampage like I did and get the bad ending, the start of Exodus will leave you confused and googling to figure out wtf is going on).

All in all, Metro: Last Light is an excellent follow-up to 2033, but it is worth noting that this isn’t just Russian Fallout; the game is still linear, and there’s a decent bit of supernatural shit going on, and unlike 2033, the supernatural shit is more out-in-front in Last Light. For me personally, that was a bit of a turn-off, but it’s by no means bad. It’s not explained very fully, but that’s part of the game’s MO - the mystery shrouding the effects of the nuclear bombs. If you enjoyed 2033, you’ll love Last Light. Personally, I found it fairly standard, but it was definitely on the upper end of average, and I have no problem recommending it. I played around with it a bit on Switch, too, and while there are some obvious graphical downgrades, it runs really well (loading times aside) and is a definite jewel of the slew of Switch ports we’ve seen.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming