Note
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2022

by Note Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:13 pm

1. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (N64)
2. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (Arcade)*
3. Metal Slug 6 (PS2)
4. Time Crisis II (PS2)*
5. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (360)
6. Shining the Holy Ark (SAT)
7. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)*
10. Warriors of Fate (Switch)
11. Knights of the Round (Switch)
12. Armored Warriors (Switch)
13. Battle Circuit (Switch)
14. OutRun (GEN)*
15. Kirby's Adventure (NES)

16. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

After years of being interested in Shadow of the Colossus, I picked up a PS2 copy in December of 2018. Then after a few a more years, I finally sat down with the game and gave it the time it deserved, motivated by the Summer Games Challenge. I owned a PS2 shortly after it was released, but I missed out on some of the great games for that system, so I've been making an effort to catch up and play through some of the console's best games, and SOTC is an amazing game. I wish I had played through it sooner, but I'm glad I finally experienced it.

Shadow of the Colossus is very minimal in a sense. There's no items to be collected, there's no weapon or armor upgrades, there's no towns people to talk to. It's just you, your trusted horse, your sword, and your bow. The game consists of sixteen boss battles against the colossi, throughout a sprawling world consisting of a few different types of environments. In contrast to the minimalism mentioned, the boss battles are very intricately designed and each colossus has a specific weak point (or points) that you will have to locate and manage to climb on to and attack. Some of the battles are pretty intense, but it all depends on your execution. I found this to be a breath of fresh air, as it doesn't matter if you're missing an item or an ability. You start the game with the few things you'll need for every encounter throughout the game. Another nice touch, is that if you fail in a battle, you can give it another try without having to trek all the way to that boss again.

Before each battle, you will start at a temple in the center of the world map. Even though there is nothing specific to be done here, the temple can be thought of as your hub. To locate each boss on the world map, you will have to climb on to your horse, and hold up your sword, using an ability your weapon has, which will shine a light in the direction to point you in the direction you're supposed to go in. I thought this was an interesting way to implement a feature that shows you where you should go, but doesn't give you the exact coordinates. Also, the way it's implemented fits in with the rest of the game's design, as there is not much of a player GUI. Just a health bar, a meter that measures how much longer you can grip or hold for (this is necessary to know when climbing on some of these huge bosses), and an icon representing what weapon you currently have in your hand. After you complete a boss battle, you will get a notification asking if you want to save, a small cut scene to advance the plot, and then it's on to the next one. The game's ending is also quite a ride and worthy of your efforts.

Overall, Shadow of the Colossus was a great experience. It was fun and intense in the right way. Some of the bosses were a bit tough and I was frustrated at moments, but I was able to get through it with a bit of practice. SOTC is a very unique game and I highly recommend it. Later this year, I plan to play the developer's first game Ico, also on the PS2. Give this one a go if you haven't already!
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 pm

1. Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (PC)(Action Adventure)
2. The Citadel (PC)(FPS)
3. Gothic 3 (PC)(RPG)
4. Witchaven (PC)(FPS)
5. Unpacking (PC)(Puzzle)
6. Firewatch (PC)(Adventure)
7. Perilous Warp (PC)(FPS)

8. The Ascent (PC)(RPG)
9. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (PC)(FPS/RPG)
11. Borderlands: Game of the Year Enhanced - Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (PC)(FPS/RPG)

12. Kingdom of the Dead (PC)(FPS)
13. Monument (PC)(FPS)
14. Bloodwash (PC)(Horror Adventure)
15. Dead Estate (PC)(Isometric Shooter)

16. Lost in Vivo (PC)(Survival Horror)
17. Star Explorers (PC)(FPS)
18. Dark Souls Remastered (Switch)(RPG)
19. NAM (PC)(FPS)

Have you ever thought to yourself it would be fun to take the Build Engine and try to make a reasonable facsimile of a historical war-based FPS set in Vietnam? No? Well, someone on Team TNT did. The resulting game is NAM.

In NAM, you play a soldier named Alan who has been turned into a juiced-up super soldier by the CIA. Because you're tougher than pretty much anyone else, you get sent on solo missions into the jungles of Vietnam to try and find missing units, launch seek and destroy missions, assassinate NVA military leaders, and just be a pain in the ass to the Viet Cong. The problem is, they're a much bigger pain in the ass to you, because the Build Engine has no idea how to handle what Team TNT was trying to get it to do. So you get dumb AI with hitscan weapons that become ridiculously accurate which you can't always shoot as well as lots and lots of booby traps, land mines, airstrikes from enemies, airstrikes from friendlies, and God knows how many other ways the game finds to kill you.

Yes, enemies are mostly hit-scanners. Sometimes they're inaccurate. Don't rely on that, because you're less accurate. As in sometimes you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if you were standing on that broadside because it hasn't been raised yet and you're using gravity to help guide your bullets while you shoot straight down at it. But this is only a sometimes thing, so sometimes your M-16 suddenly becomes a sniper rifle, which is great, because the actual in-game sniper rifle doesn't actually work. Also, most of the time, the hit-scan enemies will be hiding in trees where you can't see them or pretending to be corpses, so you can't shoot them until they jump up behind you and are unloading. Or they teleport in behind you because you triggered a flag to cause Charlie to "emerge" from the "woods" made of impenetrable walls. Which doesn't really matter anyway, because you're probably already dead from an allied airstrike, since the Air Force isn't told about secret CIA super soldiers operating on covert missions and just carpet bombs everything.

I've mentioned the M-16, but you do get an array of weapons from the Vietnam era. Your combat knife is a pathetic joke, and you're surprisingly never issued a sidearm, but you do get a nice shotgun and the M60 machinegun, enabling you to go full Rambo. You get a rocket launcher which holds 1 round only, a grenade launcher which is more accurate than the rocket launcher, claymore mines that are only useful for taking out enemies coming up from behind, which is pretty much always, and your joke of a grenade. Apparently during all the training time Alan undertook, no one actually taught him to overhand throw a grenade, so he instead gently lobs it into the dirt at his feet and lets it roll a couple of feet. It's the Duke Nukem 3D pipebomb, but without the perks of that weapon's manual control. In short, the grenade serves one real purpose: landmine clearing.

And you will clear a lot of landmines. Thankfully they show up on the map, because you'll find a lot of them. Grenades are the best way to clear them if you absolutely need to open a path, but really, the best thing to do is to simply figure out some other way through the level, because landmines will mess your world up. When I first started playing, I had no idea who kept blowing me up; now I know. Landmines.

But how are the enemies? Well, I've already told you over half are hit-scan folks. Guess what? If they haven't "noticed" you, you apparently are unable to shoot them. So you can't ever sneak up on anyone, and you're gonna waste a lot of ammo taking them out. Also, enemies sometimes die to one bullet, and sometimes they take like 20. One level in particular had two machinegun nests next to each other that proved this exact situation, as the first died on the second bullet, and the second required I empty the magazine. The few non-hit-scanning enemies are apparently a Viet Cong wheelchair-mounted rocket launcher (I wish I was kidding, it looks like it's on a wheelchair) and a tank. The tank is dumb as hell and will more than likely kill itself shooting at a wall right next to itself. Of the dozen or so tanks in the game, I only ever had to kill 2 by myself. Dumb AI handled the rest for me.

All of this is handled to the glorious soundtrack of The Rolling Stones and CCR...rip-off MIDIs. Not actual songs like "Paint It Black" or "Run Through the Jungle", but cheap wannabes that try to sound close enough. This is punctuated by occasional distant gunfire and explosions, as well as shouts in Vietnamese. Also, accessing the game menu sometimes uses the same sound effect as an enemy shooting at you, so more than once I thought I was under fire while trying to save.

In short, NAM is a mess. It does offer some massive levels, some of which are well crafted, though more often they feel like unending slogs. However, if you end up liking the game, it offers two campaigns for single player as well as multiplayer campaigns, so you can try to kill your buddy with a claymore for fun. Oh, and it randomly decides to incorporate a level based on the movie Predator, only set during the Vietnam War. That's actually less weird than the one level where you find a crashed flying saucer, because...why? That actually sums up my impression of the game pretty well: "why?"
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 48
* denotes a replay

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25
19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25
20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

February (1 Games Beaten)
21. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch - February 5

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (3 Games Beaten)
22. The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation 4 - April 9
23. Metro 2033 Redux - PlayStation 4 - April 14
24. Sakura Angels - Switch - April 26

May (3 Games Beaten)
25. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - Gamecube - May 8
26. Metro Last Light Redux - PlayStation 4 - May 14
27. Metro Exodus - Series X - May 28

June (11 Games Beaten)
28. Cyberpunk 2077 - Series X - June 11
29. Sniper Elite 5 - Series X - June 12
30. The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker - PlayStation 4 - June 15
31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - Xbox One - June 16
32. 007 Legends - Wii U - June 17
33. TimeSplitters 2 - Xbox - June 18
34. TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Xbox - June 18
35. I Saw Black Clouds - PlayStation 4 - June 19
36. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Declassified - PlayStation Vita - June 20
37. The House of the Dead Remake - Switch - June 24
38. Halo Wars Definitive Edition - Xbox One - June 29*

July (10 Games Beaten)
39. Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes - Switch - July 5
40. Halo Reach - Xbox 360 - July 6*
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - Xbox 360 - July 8*
42. Halo 2 Anniversary - Xbox One - July 9*
43. Halo 3: ODST - Xbox 360 - July 10*
44. Halo 3 - Xbox 360 - July 10*
45. Halo 4 - Xbox 360 - July 11*
46. Halo: Spartan Assault - Xbox One - July 12*
47. Space Jam: A New Legacy - The Game - Xbox One - July 12
48. Halo 5: Guardians - Xbox One - July 14*

You're a kid out with mom. "Mom, I want Halo!" you plead. "We have Halo at home," your mom says. Halo 5: Guardians is what y'all have at home. With Halo 4, 343 kicked the series in the balls and knocked it down; with Halo 5, 343 curb stomped its skull. Halo 5 more or less took everything I hated about Halo 4 and doubled down on it. That's not to say that the game is 100% garbage or anything, and I'm going to give credit where it's due, but there's a LOT that 343 screwed up with this game, and their actions since its launch indicate that they'd agree with me to some extent.

My biggest complaint with Halo 4 was the story, and that's my biggest complaint here, too. Basic synopsis is that Master Chief ignores orders from his UNSC superiors to go look for Cortana who briefly contacted him through means that honestly never get adequately explained, and his Spartan team goes with him. The UNSC then sends a team of Spartan-IVs to apprehend Master Chief and his now-AWOL team. That set-up is my first issue; Master Chief isn't truly the antagonist of the game, but he's not the main protagonist, either. He sort of floats somewhere between the two. Beyond that, I think the game's story is just plain bad in general, but the way they tell it makes it even worse. A Halo game doesn't have to have Master Chief to be good - Reach and ODST proved that - but to have Master Chief be the playable character in only like 15% or 20% of the game just feels off especially when he's positioned as an almost "bad" guy for part of the game. Swing and a miss, my dude. But at least Nathan Fillion's character from ODST makes a comeback, and he makes everything better.

Now, to be fair, the game looks phenomenal on Xbox One. However, the performance leaves some to be desired. It seems like 343 went with a "graphical fidelity over performance" approach early on with Halo. To some extent, Halo 4 showed the same thing, but the performance issues are a lot more noticeable with Halo 5. There are a lot of frame rate drops throughout the game, and most annoyingly, enemy models will drop to half the target frame rate when observed at a distance, and it doesn't even have to be that great a distance before the model's frame rate drops. It's extremely jarring once you notice it. I played on Series X, and there were still a plethora of performance issues. Speaking of, Halo 5 never got a Series X optimization patch. That's noteworthy because the Master Chief Collection did get an optimization patch, and it's a year older than Halo 5. To me, that indicates that 343 knows that Halo 5 is the weakest entry in the series because it's literally the only main series game not optimized for Series X.

Another similarity that Halo 5 has with Halo 4 that I personally found to be a negative aspect but in a completely subjective way is that it's clear that 343 prioritized the multiplayer over the single player. The multiplayer was excellent in Halo 5, although it didn't have the staying power that the Master Chief Collection had once the newness of it wore off and 343 fixed the numerous issues with which the Master Chief Collection launched. To Halo 5's credit, it definitely did a lot to energize Halo's eSports standing, but it's a shame that Halo 5 seemingly traded lower quality in the single player for higher quality in the multiplayer. Even with the strong multiplayer, though, Halo 5 is an all-around disappointing experience to long-time fans.

Halo 5 is the Godfather Part III of the Halo series. The campaign's story is bad in theory and worse in execution, and worst of all, it ends on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved; 343 completely abandons this story thread about Cortana and shifts over to the Banished in Halo Infinite. The multiplayer, while good, is pretty much dead; Master Chief Collection quickly passed it in quality, and when Halo Infinite came out, that was the final nail in the coffin. If you're big into Halo lore, Halo 5 is definitely a game that you need to play through once, and if you're not into Halo at all and don't know anything about the lore, you'll probably enjoy it since you've got no investment in the lore or characters, but honestly, while it's an okay sci-fi shooter, it's a terrible Halo game. That said, it is a pretty game, and the gunplay mechanics are smooth and well-done. Just don't expect a worthy successor to Bungie's Halo games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:27 pm

Oh man, Elkin, your complaints about the story of Halo 5 (I have not played directly) are giving me flashbacks to when MGS2 came out.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:49 pm

MrPopo wrote:Oh man, Elkin, your complaints about the story of Halo 5 (I have not played directly) are giving me flashbacks to when MGS2 came out.

Confession - the only MGS game I've played is the first one on PS1. I've played Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge on NES, but the only Solid game I've played is MGS.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:03 am

I've not played any (other than a few minutes of the first NES game on an emulator), but I remember how pissed people were with MGS2 where you do Snake for the intro section, then you switch to Raiden for the rest of the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Manticore

by Manticore Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 am

Castlevania Advance Collection (PS4)
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (Wii U)
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (Wii U)
Final Fight 3 (Wii U)
Mickey and Minnie Magical Quest (Japanese GBA)
Neutopia II (PCE on PS3)
Resident Evil Director's Cut (PS4)
Twisted Metal (PSone Classics, used invincibility cheat)
Twisted Metal EX (Japanese PSone Classics)
Wild Arms (PS4)

I've been on a GBA Metroidvania kick so those are what I've been playing the most...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:34 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 49
* denotes a replay

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (3 Games Beaten)

May (3 Games Beaten)

June (11 Games Beaten)

July (11 Games Beaten)
49. Halo 4: Spartan Ops - Xbox 360 - July 17

If you read my reviews of Halo 4 and Halo 5, you'll recall that one of my biggest complaints with the games was the storytelling and the fact that there are a plethora of details that were seemingly skipped and never explained from one game to the other. Spartan Ops was a series of ten five-mission episodes that follows the Spartan-IVs aboard the UNSC Infinity as they investigate the Forerunner planet of Requiem. It takes place after the events of Halo 4, so it does serve to fill a little of the time between Halo 4 and Halo 5. That said, don't expect this to pull the curtain back fully on the events before Halo 5.

You play as Spartans with Fireteam Crimson, one of the Spartan teams providing security and helping to investigate Requiem and fighting Covenant remnants and Promethean defenses. As I said, there are ten episodes each consisting of five levels. Each episode has a cutscene to introduce the episode. These cutscenes are probably the most interesting aspect of Spartan Ops in my opinion; they're very well done regarding narrative, and the levels themselves, by and large, tend to feel pretty generic. Kill Wave 1 of enemies, press Button 1, kill Waves 2 and 3 of enemies, press Button 2, kill Waves 4 and 5 of enemies, press Button 3, kill Wave 6 of enemies, reach designated position, mission over. That's how most of them seem to play out. To be sure, some are more varied and interesting than that, but that's the typical Spartan Ops mission.

If you're into achievement hunting, there's some reason to play here; you get an achievement for completion each of the ten episodes as well as one for completing all of them. Not only that, but if you're playing on the Master Chief Collection, these missions help wrap up some of the Promethean kill achievements. These missions are meant to be played co-op, so they're probably more fun that way than solo as I played them, but they're pretty average. They do get pretty challenging, though; there was one mission that spawned a dozen and a half Hunters for me to kill by myself (thank goodness it lets you respawn).

As is the case with Halo 4 and Halo 5 in general, Spartan Ops is definitely worth playing if you're a big fan of Halo. If you're not especially interested in the greater world, lore, and events immediately after Halo 4, then you can skip this without worry. In a lot of ways, it feels like a super low budget sequel to Halo 4. That said, I love what they tried to do here; it's just a shame that's the concept so outstripped the execution. It's not nearly as offensive as Halo 5, but it's a pretty take-it-or-leave-it affair overall.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 pm

My man Elk has passed me! I really need to wrap up Elden Ring if I want to get back in the race!

…..

First 40
1. Space Warrior (Switch)
2. Itta (Switch)
3. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (Switch)
4. Mask of Mists (Switch)
5. Metagal (Switch)
6. Foxyland 2 (Switch)
7. Submerged (Switch)
8. Back to Bed (Switch)
9. Thoth (Switch)
10. 140 (Switch)
11. Infinite: Beyond the Mind (Switch)
12. Ninja Striker (Switch)
13. Kid Tripp (Switch)
14. Miles & Kilo (Switch)
15. Neon Junctions (Switch)
16. Golf Zero (Switch)
17. 198X (Switch)
18. Macbat 64 (Switch)
19. Kiwi 64 (Switch)
20. Toree 3D (Switch)
21. Toree 2 (Switch)
22. #RaceDieRun (Switch)
23. Micetopia (Switch)
24. Tomena Sanner (Wii)
25. Contra ReBirth (Wii)
26. Unstrong Legacy (Switch)
27. Quarantine Circular (Switch)
28. Infernax (Switch)
29. Cosmos Bit (Switch)
30. Ape Out (Switch)
31. Return of the Double Dragon (Super Famicom)
32. Contra (Famicom)
33. Summer Carnival ‘92 RECCA (Famicom)
34. Bionic Commando (Arcade)
35. Shinobi (Arcade)
36. Super Meat Boy (Switch)
37. Chex Quest HD (Switch)
38. King’s Field II (PSX)
39. Mechstermination Force (Switch)
40. Swords and Bones (Switch)

41. The Solitaire Conspiracy (Switch)
42. Super Cyborg (Switch)
43. Blazing Chrome (Switch)
44. Son Wukong v. Robot (Switch)
45. King’s Field III: Pilot Style (PS1)
46. Kirby’s Dreamland 2 (GB)
47. Metal Gear (NES)
48. Vampire Killer (MSX)

I beat both of these for the Summer Games Challenge, and I wrote reviews in that thread. Metal Gear is a solid NES port of a MSX classic, and Vampire Killer is a solid MSX reimagining of a NES classic. Both are by Konami, and both make you put up with a ton of BS to beat them. Still, they’re fun, and I’m glad to have them both under my belt.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:41 am

There are a few replays that I'd previously posted reviews for, so I'm just going to hyperlink my reviews for those and just post the new review here.

Games Beaten in 2021 - 53
* denotes a replay

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (3 Games Beaten)

May (3 Games Beaten)

June (11 Games Beaten)

July (14 Games Beaten)
50. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - July 18*
51. Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare - Xbox One - July 19
52. Maneater - Series X - July 20*
53. Maneater: Truth Quest - Series X - July 21*

50. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - July 18*
51. Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare - Xbox One - July 19
52. Maneater - Series X - July 20*
53. Maneater: Truth Quest - Series X - July 21*

Awakening the Nightmare is a DLC campaign for Halo Wars 2. It's actually the second story DLC the game got, but this is the first full campaign as Operation: Spearbreaker was just two (admittedly really good) missions. This, on the other hand, was a full five mission campaign. It's $20, so heads up, it ain't cheap, but it's an extremely well-done campaign.

Awakening the Nightmare has you play as the Banished in a desperate fight against the Flood. When a couple of idiot Jiralhanae commanders that Atriox sent to pillage the wreckage of High Charity, he does so with strict orders to scavenge outside the wrecked city and not to enter the city itself. One of these two Brute commanders, being an idiot, ignores this order and leads his troops into the city. Oops, you just unleashed the Flood upon the Ark. Now it's a desperate struggle to contain the infestation.

This is an extremely well-made campaign with an entirely new faction and missions with a variety of objectives to keep it from ever feeling stale. A couple of those missions are pretty damn challenging, too. The Flood don't against you like the Banished do in the main campaign; the Flood will often slam into your defenses relentlessly and seemingly ceaselessly. You know, as the Flood tend to do. Fortunately, the Banished have a defensive advantage over the UNSC in one key aspect. Unlike the UNSC turrets, Banished turrets don't have to choose a specialization; they can acquire anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, AND anti-air enhancements. This alone won't keep your bases safe, but it definitely helps as the Flood enemies begin to diversify.

Aside from a relatively short length - five missions - and somewhat high price tag - $20 - Awakening the Banished is everything you could want from a campaign DLC. You play as a different faction, you fight an entirely new faction, the story is great, the mission objectives have a lot of variety to keep things interesting, and the battles you'll fight are super epic. You do get access to some new leaders and a new Firefight game mode, but honestly, the campaign is so good that I think it alone is worth it. Remember, too, that if you've got Game Pass, you get 10% off the DLC.

Return to General Gaming