Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2022

by Markies Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:22 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2022!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
2. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Streets of Rage 4 (NS)
4. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest (GCN)
5. Dirge Of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2)
6. Darkstalkers (PS1)
7. Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device (SDC)
8. Ogre Battle 64: Person Of Lordly Calibur (N64)
9. Draogn Quest VI (SNES)
10. Batman: The Video Game (GEN)

11. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)

I completed Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the Nintendo Entertainment System this afternoon!

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is a game I have had since I was a child. My older brothers are big into sports games, so I played their copy for the longest time. When I moved out, I eventually picked up a copy of my own. Even though I have played it for 30+ years, I have never beaten the game. I would always get to a certain opponent and then loose. As the years went by, that opponent got closer and closer to Tyson. As a Kid, I couldn't get past King Hippo and then it was Bald Bull and then it was Soda Popinski and then it was Macho Man. After I got to Tyson a few years ago, I only like 25 games left on my Backlog and I then decided Mike Tyson's Punch Out would be my last game to beat my Backlog. And after fighting him for more than a week, I can finally say that I beat Mike Tyson and my Backlog.

Punch Out is a fairly simple boxing game where you fight your way through an onslaught of characters to get to Mike Tyson to hopefully finally win the game. The game is fairly simple as once you have beaten the first character, you have basically seen what the entire game has to offer. What makes the game so great and memorable is all of the characters that you fight. The game basically boils down to a large boss rush, but each fighter is so memorable and will stick with you for years. Each one has its own unique fighting style and quirk that you will learn everything about them. Meeting each character is such a blast and mastering each character to beat them down is a fear all of its own. With tight controls and memorable music, the game oozes personality and really separates itself from all over boxing games.

But, man oh man, is Punch Out hard! There is a certain skill level needed to beat the game that some people do not have. At points, I wondered if I had it, but I was stubborn enough to keep pushing through. You have to be on your toes at all times and with reflexes like a cat. Each character becomes memorable because you have to fight them so many times.

Overall, despite the difficulty, I still love Mike Tyson's Punch Out. The characters, presentation and music are so iconic to me that they will always be a part of me. It is brutal and the ultimate test of reflexes, but once you get in that zone and finally able to beat that character that you were stuck on, there is no other feeling in the world! Backlog Beaten!!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:46 pm

Welcome to the club, Markies! That game is TOUGH, but it remains one of my very favorites. My journey with it is similar to yours. As a kid, I could never get past Soda Popinski. When I got back into retro games in high school, I could get to Tyson, but not beat him. I dedicated some time to it one summer in college p, though, and finally knocked him out. It was such a great feeling.

EDIT: Have you played Punch Out!! for the Wii? If not, you should. It’s a lot like the NES game (i.e., great), and if you just beat Iron Mike, you’re probably in good shape to handle it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 pm

Next stage is to start training for the blindfolded run.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:37 pm

Holy moly, congrats on clearing the backlog Markies!

Punch-Out!! is a lot of fun but I never even got to Tyson, let along beating him. That's definitely an accomplishment worthy of being the final goal of the backlog.
Any plans for what's next on your gaming agenda?
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 pm

MrPopo wrote:Next stage is to start training for the blindfolded run.

Just call me Zallard! :mrgreen:

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Welcome to the club, Markies! That game is TOUGH, but it remains one of my very favorites. My journey with it is similar to yours. As a kid, I could never get past Soda Popinski. When I got back into retro games in high school, I could get to Tyson, but not beat him. I dedicated some time to it one summer in college p, though, and finally knocked him out. It was such a great feeling.

EDIT: Have you played Punch Out!! for the Wii? If not, you should. It’s a lot like the NES game (i.e., great), and if you just beat Iron Mike, you’re probably in good shape to handle it.

I have not played any of the later Punch Out games. I would very much like to play the SNES version and then eventually the Wii version. I have only stuck with the NES version, so I am looking forward to playing more!

Nemoide wrote:Holy moly, congrats on clearing the backlog Markies!

Punch-Out!! is a lot of fun but I never even got to Tyson, let along beating him. That's definitely an accomplishment worthy of being the final goal of the backlog.
Any plans for what's next on your gaming agenda?

At the moment, I am going to enjoy the Empty Backlog! :D

Then, when I want to play games again, I am going to do some major shopping! The last game I bought was in August.
I have some new systems too (GB, GBA, PS3, Wii, WiiU and Switch), so I am going to go shopping for those systems as well.
I would also like to play games for those systems too.

Besides that, I want to replay some old favorites too.
Going forward, I want to play at a slower pace and just enjoy buying and playing games as much as possible.

Beating my Backlog was my major life and gaming goal, so I kind of just want to enjoy the rest of my time with gaming.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 23
* denotes a replay

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25
19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25
20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

February (1 Games Beaten)
21. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch - February 5

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (2 Games Beaten)
22. The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation 4 - April 9
23. Metro 2033 Redux - PlayStation 4 - April 14

One of my favorite types of games is post-apocalypse, and that’s especially true when it’s a nuclear apocalypse that leans into the “horrific mutations” trope. It’s why Fallout is one of my favorite game series. Metro may not scratch that itch for me quite the way that Fallout does, but it does fit the bill nicely with an interestingly non-American setting. Granted, April 2022 is not exactly when I’m keen on having a Russian protagonist in my game, but Metro 2033 *does* allow me to kill Nazis, communists, and mutated creatures all in one game, so I’ll deal with playing as a Russian.

Metro 2033 is based on a book of the same title by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky. The premise is that an isolated nuclear exchange in 2013 quickly expanded into a global nuclear holocaust; in Moscow, where the game takes places, only a few dozen thousand of the city’s several million residents managed to escape into the metro system that served as makeshift fallout shelters. 20 years after the bombs fell, the surface is still horribly toxic and irradiated; traversal is impossible without a gas mask, and radiation is a constant concern not to mention the monstrous mutants roaming the city ruins. As such, what human life remains is in micro-states at the metro’s various stations. You’ve got Hanza, a network of brutally capitalist trade stations, the Red Line (your obligatory Russian communists), the Reich (the also obligatory neo-Nazis), a handful of free stations, and Polis which is the headquarters of the Spartan Rangers. These Rangers are the sort of “white knights” of the metro (or as close as you get, anyway), trying to set up FOBs on the surface and reclaim what humanity once had but lost.

The game focuses around Artyom, a resident of the free station of Exhibition who finds himself on a quest to make it to Polis and deliver a message to the leader of the Rangers (which, in typical video game fashion, turns into a grander quest for Artyom). Along the way, Artyom must deal with raiders, Nazis, communists, and mutants galore. With the original releases on PS3 and 360, Metro 2033 played very much like a horror game with very scarce ammo, spongey enemies, and an emphasis on stealth. With the Metro Redux remasters on PS4, Xbox One, and Switch, however, you can swap between the horror-esque original format and the more action-oriented focus that the sequel, Metro Last Light, took. I’ve played it both ways, but I tend to prefer the heavier action for Metro. Both ways of playing are excellent, however, and you can’t go wrong either way.

Unfortunately, the remaster leaves a bit to be desired. On the plus side, the game does hit a native 1080p and a consistent 60 fps as opposed to the 720p and target 30 fps of the original release. On the other hand, using the PS5 to play it via backwards compatibility was a little underwhelming. I understand that not every game is going to have enhancements to take advantage of the power of the Series X and PS5, and that’s totally okay, but what isn’t okay is the pretty severe screen tearing that I saw in some of the cutscenes. Screen tearing is the most jarring performance issue you can have short of outright crashes in my opinion, and it really killed the experience in places. Fortunately, this is mainly an issue in cutscenes, but it did pop up here and there during the faster action scenes of gameplay.

As a whole, Metro 2033 is a fun game that’s definitely worth playing for fellow apocalypse junkies like me, but definitely play the remaster if you have the chance. It’s still not perfect with the screen tearing, but the performance and visuals are much better than the original release (plus is just a lot more accessible with the lack of the backwards compatibility that the current generation has with the older 7th generation consoles). It falls short of Fallout for nuclear apocalypse action as well as Resident Evil for survival horror, but I think it strikes a solid balance between the two that makes it worth playing as its own unique hybrid of action and horror.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:36 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 24
* denotes a replay

January (20 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22
15. Cthulhu Saves Christmas - Switch - January 23
16. Armed 7 - Dreamcast - January 24
17. Satazius Next - Dreamcast - January 24
18. Wolflame - Dreamcast - January 25
19. Metal Slug 1st Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 25
20. Metal Slug 2nd Mission - Neo Geo Pocket - January 26

February (1 Games Beaten)
21. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - Switch - February 5

March (0 Games Beaten)
wow I suck ass lmao

April (3 Games Beaten)
22. The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation 4 - April 9
24. Sakura Angels - Switch - April 26

24. Sakura Angels - Switch - April 26

When it comes to visual novels starring scantily clad and well-endowed anime women, I’m easy to please. Sakura Angels checks all of those requirements for me. As part of the long-running Sakura series (not to be confused with Sakura Wars), you pretty much know what to expect from Sakura Angels if you’ve played anything else in the series - big tiddy waifu characters, a short and fairly shallow story, and character tropes for days. For the sake of transparency, I’ll state up front that Gamuzumi sent me a Switch code for Sakura Angels for review. Thanks so much, Gamuzumi!

The premise of the game is pretty typical. A high school boy finds himself thrust into a bizarre magical-girl scenario where large-breasted magical girls end up enrolling in his school, get put in his class, and end up being his new BFFs to protect him from the mysterious evil forces that want him for some reason. It’s basically the plot of every other anime on Crunchyroll, so if you’re looking for an original or especially compelling story, look elsewhere; the story is just an excuse for the boobs here. The main characters are both straight up tropes; there’s a bubbly girl with brown hair with a seemingly-aloof-but-actually-commanding personality, and a tsundere girl with pink hair. Again, not deep or unique characters, but they’re not supposed to be. Tropes provide a comfortable context for characters, and this game is this epitome of comfort food for degenerate weebs like me.

The game is super short (although I prefer the phrase “bite sized”) with my play clocking in at about three hours. Like I said, it’s comfort food; if you have a bad day at work, you can come home and enjoy a mindless bite-sized lewd game on your Switch. For a lot of people, the length would be the biggest turn off, and for $10, I do think it’s a bit too short; I think $5 would be a more appropriate price for the game. Still, though, I enjoyed my brief time with it. It’s cute and entertaining enough that I would definitely recommend it for fans of the genre if you see it on sale for 50% or more off. I can’t recommend it at full price, though; it’s just not long, original, or compelling enough to justify a $10 price tag.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Finished Astral Chain a few nights ago.
Green_Warrior

by Green_Warrior Sun May 01, 2022 5:38 pm

1. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GCN)
2. Star Fox Assault (GCN)

Continuing my Gamecube kick, I played through Star Fox Assault's story mode and replayed a few of the missions on higher difficulties after. I remember it getting middling reviews back in the day, so I kept my expectations low, and... I think expectations are what killed this game when it first came out. Just because a game is good, doesn't mean it's what people wanted. I feel that Assault is at least pretty good. I haven't found anyone to try the multiplayer with yet, but from videos I've watched, it looks fun. The presentation of the game is top-notch for its time. The orchestrated music suits the series well and it looks nice in progressive scan mode.

I had expected the on-foot sections to be the weakest part of the game, but to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. A bit repetitive, maybe, but not bad. The landmaster is probably the worst part of Assault, but thankfully it's not required too often. Tank controls in tight environments are not a good time! The flight sections are beautiful (in 60 FPS I believe) and haven't missed a beat since the N64 days.

Assault does lose some of the appeal that Star Fox 64 had because the story is linear (whereas 64 had different routes of progression), and it doesn't feel like as much of a "pick up and play" sort of game, but that's down to preference. The story is still simple, but there are some fun character moments here and there which made me smile/laugh. I think that if Namco had been given the opportunity for a sequel, they could have ironed out many of this game's (minor) issues and expanded it into something great. I'm thinking something like Star Wars Battlefront, but instead of taking command outposts, you fight for the game's might meter. The might meter is a concept that they only used in one level, but it's a great idea which would encourage playing in all vehicles and on-foot depending on the situation. It's like a tug of war between you and the enemy. Sometimes it's for air superiority, and other times it's specifically in the open area on the ground. And other times, you need to go indoors on-foot.

But maybe the Star Fox fanbase doesn't want to see that. Critics certainly seemed to lean that way in 2005. I may come back to this one later to unlock everything, but some of the requirements are tough. To unlock Wolf in multiplayer mode, you need to make it through all 10 missions without a single one of your teammates dying. There are certain situations where you get one chance and one chance only to save your teammate before they go off-screen and the enemy finishes them off there! Pretty infuriating!

But overall, I had a good time with Assault. It was a pleasant surprise. Now, if I could just find someone to play multiplayer with...
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun May 01, 2022 5:47 pm

The GameCube was the first console I bought with my own money. It was 2002, the summer before junior year of high school. I worked at my dad's job site toting lumber for a few weeks. I bought a jet black one, four controllers, Luigi's Mansion and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
Return to General Gaming