Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: What defunct sites do you guys miss?

by Anapan Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:20 am

Oh! I just thought of something. Weren't the founding members of this forum actually refugees from when Sega Xtreme's forums disappeared? I know I missed that site and just switched over to PC gaming and emulation using dos-based emulators. It was relevant site topics by Racketboy himself that made me join the forums. Google kept steering me here and the forum always had answers.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 am

stickem wrote:since you mentioned warez sites, I believe it was Underground Gamer? the font was blue and grey on the home page i believe, but was invite only and had everything.

Underground Gamer was revived shortly after they were shutdown. No idea if it's still going on, but it was a hidden site and still invite only. Sadly, I lost my login credentials years ago.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 am

I miss old Amazon before the big switch of focus to third-party selling.
I know it's a better business for them, but I liked the days when search easily found you what you were looking for and didn't have to worry about fake reviews.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:44 am

I feel like a fool for not remembering the exact name of the site, but it was classicgamer.com or something. It was a torrent site for old games. It was my go-to for updated MAME and other ROM packs.
I miss that site. I don't think I have updated my version of MAME or the ROM set on my MAME cabinet since that site went down.

What was that site called again?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I feel like a fool for not remembering the exact name of the site, but it was classicgamer.com or something. It was a torrent site for old games. It was my go-to for updated MAME and other ROM packs.
I miss that site. I don't think I have updated my version of MAME or the ROM set on my MAME cabinet since that site went down.

was it what i mentioned last page? sounds about right.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 pm

There were two related sites; one was old games and one was current games, both invite only and both working off of the same template for the site build.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:44 pm

racketboy wrote:I miss old Amazon before the big switch of focus to third-party selling.
I know it's a better business for them, but I liked the days when search easily found you what you were looking for and didn't have to worry about fake reviews.

Speaking of which, I miss old eBay. Back when eBay first started, it was just individuals selling random crap out of their home. You were able to get better deals, and it had a totally different vibe. Then eBay started catering to businesses, which quickly took over. Prices went up on the better stuff, and the site also got flooded with cheap but crappy merchandise. It's not at all the same as what it use to be back in the early 2000's.

MrPopo wrote:There were two related sites; one was old games and one was current games, both invite only and both working off of the same template for the site build.

I think the other one was called Bit Gamer.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Sometimes I get nostalgic for a bunch of video game sites that looking back were maybe not as good as what's on the web today: Secrets of the Game Sages, the website to go to to find cheat codes was one. Sure, GameFAQs serves its purpose much better, but GAME SAGES sounds so mysterious and cool.
Classic Gaming, IIRC was a website owned by GameSpy and was where I picked up a lot of retro game knowledge and learned legends like the ET landfill and about infamous games like Custer's Revenge.

One thing I kind of miss was early Facebook, back when they were The Facebook. Instead of being a site where you could just scroll through a "news feed" forever, it was about seeing profiles of other people and possibly making new friends. Maybe I just have fond memories of it because I was in college when it started and you HAD to be a college student to make an account. I know there's no going back to those days, but I did kind of like seeing people's profiles and reading about what kind of music they liked, writing messages on walls, and sharing photos.

It makes me sad that nowadays it feels like the internet primarily exists as a hub for a few massive social media companies. I liked having a wide swath of forums to post on. Now it seems forums have been replaced by Discord and I'm too much of a luddite to understand that app's appeal.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:22 pm

stickem wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I feel like a fool for not remembering the exact name of the site, but it was classicgamer.com or something. It was a torrent site for old games. It was my go-to for updated MAME and other ROM packs.

was it what i mentioned last page? sounds about right.

Yes! UndergroundGamer
Sorry, I must have skimmed through your post too quickly. That was it. It was the best site.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:44 pm

Yes, UG and the sister site were pretty awesome. And The ISO Zone as well. They weren't just places to pirate games, they were communities that put love and care into uploads. Lots of carefully curated collections, and other content like magazines and guide books. Really obscure things that only fans would share. Archive.org has some nicely curated collections now, but it's just missing the community aspect that those other places had.

GameWinners.com is a site I use to frequent a lot back in my early internet days. Sadly, the site has shut down (I think I posted a thread about it) but you can still use it via the Wayback Machine and it's just as functional albeit slower to load. But I suppose it's still faster to load the Wayback Machine than the real site via dial up back when.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to General Gaming