Thoughts/experiences on ordering from Limited Run Games?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
128-bit

Thoughts/experiences on ordering from Limited Run Games?

Post by opa »

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences in ordering from Limited Run Games. I've never been enticed by the releases they've had in the past. However, I saw a news article that they were releasing a double pack of Axiom Verge 1 and 2. Axiom Verge has always been on my list of games to check out but I want a physical copy (and I didn't even realize there's a second game).

So for those that have purchased from them: do they actually package their games well for shipping? How long does it typically take to get your item? Do they have good communication?

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Thoughts/experiences on ordering from Limited Run Games?

Post by Nemoide »

I've always had good experiences with Limited Run. IIRC, most standard games ship in a bubble mailer but you can pay an extra $2 or so for them to mail it in a box for maximum protection. From my experience, they do have pretty good communication and customer service.
However, you do need to be PRETTY PATIENT when ordering! Almost everything they sell is a preorder and they'll say in the description that they expect it to take 4-5 months before you get the game. Place the order and expect to wait several months! Even if it's in hand it might take a few weeks before you get your item.

I think they're a reputable company, but don't expect a rapid turnaround time.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I haven't had any issues with them but as has already been said don't expect to get your game for nearly half a year as pre-orders are done pre-production.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I've ordered 10+ games from them and everything has always been packaged really well and items have arrived without any damages. Shipping times (from when they've sent a mail that the item has shipped to when I have it in my hands) has varied between one and four weeks, but this is largely explained by how A) international shipping (from US to Finland in my case) since Covid started has generally been slower and B) it can sometimes take up to a week from the game to arrive in the country until it actually gets to me. Customs can be slow, and there's been EU-wide changes to the process that has made it slower still.

I've only had to contact their support once, and that was to get a free bonus item. That happened snappily without problems.

If there's any delays that LRG themselves could be at "fault" for, and I use the term loosely here, is that they can delay a release if they deem it necessary. If the Axiom Verge doublepack doesn't have any extras to it (like an OST or an artbook) that could delay the production and eventual release the odds of a delay are minimal, but it might still happen if the game itself has some issues that they want to wait for a patch for. If memory serves, they delayed their release of Panzer Dragoon physical version by three months or so because they wanted to include the important 1.3 patch in it, which improved framerate, fixed bugs and generally made the game a whole lot better. Some were annoyed by the delay, but I thought it was a good move.

So, yeah, I'd recommend them.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I never had a real issue other than waiting until Truxton. They shipped them out and I never got it. They simply just overlooked it. I contacted customer support. They promised it would ship the next day. A week later I send another and they say the same thing. Nothing. Finally, I am fed up and DM the two owners of LRG on Twitter. That's when I finally a got it. They are great but customer service needs work. It was a rare hiccup tho. I usually have no issue with them. I have ordered maybe a dozen or more games. Not had anything damaged in the mail. Never had anything missing. Delays happen out of their control. I find them trustworthy overall.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Never ordered from them, as I can always seem to find these games at my local Best Buy. Anyone else?
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Never ordered from them, as I can always seem to find these games at my local Best Buy. Anyone else?

...only some of their releases are available from Best Buy (w/alternate art work if that matters), but they do mention which ones in their descriptions. Best Buy is where I first fell into the Limited Run thing and I'm currently waiting on Bug Fables to hit Best Buy. However, if it's something I really want...say like Blazing Chrome or special edition like Scott Pilgrim or Castlevania Collection or something not seeing a retail release I'll go ahead and place an order. Other than the chaos that is their New Year's sale and missing their live sales events I don't have too many issues LRG and probably have too many things waiting to be delivered :lol:

...on a real LRG note, if anyone has a copy of Dust they may not want, please let me know. That's the one release that I really regret missing...I didn't know about the company when it was released.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I order from them occasionally. (They’re based in NC, and I have to support local business!) The products are always great, and they are always packaged well. They make the games to order, though, and they take FOREVER to get to you, (I order the Neo Geo Pocket Collection in April, and I still haven’t received it.)

I hope that helps!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Thank you for all the responses!

I don't mind waiting as long as I know that ahead of time. The only game I've pre-ordered for a late release was Untitled Goose Game. However, the company that released it had horrible communication and they even released the game on their Amazon store. People that bought the game through their website didn't get updates and had to wait longer to get the same item than someone who didn't preorder.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I believe they even offer the option of buying a box protector and they'll put the game in it before shipping. Aside from the protection it offers your game when shipping, I generally put all my stuff in box protectors anyway so it's quite convenient.