Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Thoughts/experiences on ordering from Limited Run Games?

by Michi Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:36 pm

It's worth noting that if you buy more than two games, or especially some kind of special edition with a cardboard case, they'll likely put it in a box anyway. No special purchase required.
ujnhunter
64-bit

by ujnhunter Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:11 pm

While I should probably wait until my replacement order arrives... I'll go ahead an put my $0.02 in as well...

I've bought quite a bit from LRG (and still do), however I have two cases of orders gone wrong. The most recent being the release of No More Heroes 1 & 2 Collector's sets (I've been a huge NMH fan since the original and even own the original imports for all the systems it came out on... so I pre-ordered the MEGA SET within the first 5 minutes of the announcement going live...) even bought the Orange LRG shirt based on the NMH logo... and paid the high shipping price that was required ($194.XX total w/ shipping) only to wait months and months and have the box arrive smashed and ripped open missing the t-shirt/collector's cards/flag bonus items, the game boxes themselves were still in the package and sealed, but badly crushed/creased.

Customer service, after many many back and forth exchanges finally was able to get me a replacement order for both games and the flag (supposedly, I haven't received the replacement package and its been over a month... I even had to email them asking for the status of the shipment a month after they told me the replacement had been ordered to ship...), but the t-shirt was said to no longer be available as that was limited and I am SOL on that, but that they would send me a LRG gift card as a refund for that... bummer.

This is the second time I've had an issue when ordering one of their t-shirts, as the first time I had ordered a Red LRG t-shirt (when they first started... so within their first 2-6 game releases maybe) and when they finally shipped the game that I had pre-ordered w/ that t-shirt, they didn't ship me the t-shirt that I had ordered with it. I had to email customer service and they then stated that they "no longer had any in stock" which was apparently because they don't hold stock for orders if you're ordering with a game that is a pre-order and they supposedly only fill orders when shipping, and they'd sold more shirts than they had made or something like that... which is trash, to be honest. Not to mention that they just didn't ship the t-shirt, they charged me money, and waited for me to email them asking "where is the shirt" before offering me a refund, when they knew they didn't even have the t-shirt to send me in the first place.

So anyhow, I'll update this post if/when I ever receive my replacement package, and hopefully it includes EVERYTHING that it should (minus the t-shirt obviously). I just wanted to get this out there since everyone else seems to have had nothing but positive experiences... and I've had 2 crummy experiences so far, one in the early days and one as recent as 2(?) months ago.

Sadly I have a bunch of pre-orders that I've already made in the time between ordering NMH 1 & 2 so hopefully those all work out okay (the last shipment came fine Shiren (Switch) & Panzer Paladin (Switch)), so wish me luck! However if the replacement for NMH 1 & 2 arrives missing the flag or cards, or another shipment shows up missing or damaged... I think I'll have to rethink ordering anything new from them in the future. Now I know a package being damaged isn't their fault (though they do want to charge you extra for boxes that still can be damaged...) but the t-shirt oversights are just bad business. Though I know you're all here for the games and not the t-shirts... ;) Best of luck to you all.
IMJ
24-bit

by IMJ Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:54 pm

SOoooooo..... I got on board with LRG back with their first release - Saturday Morning RPG. I "lucked" into what they were doing by catching some random newsfeed article about it the week of the Saturday Morning RPG release. At the time I felt it was something really special and I was ordering two of every release, especially enticed by the low production numbers.

I kept up with ordering every release for probably through around early 2018 or so. But by the time they were pounding out so many releases, that it didn't feel like a "special collection" anymore and rather like LRG went into full "cash grab mode". After early 2018 I started cherry picking releases to pre-order, and finally gave up on it completely somewhere around Gravity Ghost or one of the Star Wars NES cartridge releases.

Since then I've liquidated the majority of the collection during various "game sale" events I run online now and again. I also keep an active listing in the eBay store for the cards I have left. Sometime soon I'll is the "postcard" cards too. At this point I'm left with a few games that I plan to play someday, but might not get to it - "Oxenfree" comes to mind as an example.

I really enjoyed LRG in the beginning, but between my diminishing "game time" and the fact that they got away from two games a month or so into full blown cash grab publishing, I just had to let it go.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:18 am

Man I pre-ordered some stuff from them and Strictly Limited Games that I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER for. I kind of hate this pre-order before actual production thing.
HappehLemons
32-bit

by HappehLemons Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:45 pm

I've never ordered from them but they've always been very helpful over email when I had questions!
Nexus-X
8-bit

by Nexus-X Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:17 pm

I’m about to put in for Bloodrayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites. *groans* I’m not going to see that disc until well into 2022.

Last year was my worst experience with LRG. I combined a few things into a single order and everything ended up in LRG’s stock room waiting indefinitely for unrelated items for a special edition I didn’t order so that they could ship everything out at the same time. Their communication was non-existent and everyone found out through a Twitter post where one of the owners was showing off the stock room. People started noticing standard editions they had been waiting months for sitting on the shelves without any notice from LRG that they had arrived.

And then there was the Streets of Rage 4 fiasco. I can’t decide if they were at fault for that one or not. On one hand I can see the other physical publisher jumping the gun on a timed release agreement. On the other hand I can also totally see LRG asking for timed exclusivity windows so that they can generate hype.

I have several of their releases and they have gotten steadily worse over the years. Don’t get me wrong, their customer service is always good and genuine, but their communication is awful, and they still try to run their operation with a small business crew when they’ve clearly grown beyond that.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Sometimes I feel like I'm being a little bit of a stan for Limited Run games, but I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring regardless :P

I've been buying from them since almost the beginning, and I've never had anything but positive experiences with them. Sure, as their release numbers have expanded, I've been buying a lower percentage of their releases, but even for the games that I don't buy, I'm happy to see them get physical versions for the folks who are interested. I've never been a completionist for anything I've collected over the years, so I'm fine skipping the stuff I'm not interested in and just grabbing the ones that I'm excited for. And as they've expanded what they've offered, it's dramatically increased the possibility that some really niche game I love will get a physical release. I gotta tell you, I never in a million years thought we'd see a physical release of Dangun Feveron. To me, Limited Run Games would justify their existence just because of that!

And yeah, you definitely do end up waiting a good 3-6 months for most games, but I'm totally fine with that as long as it guarantees me a copy. Back in the early days it was so frustrating having to be at your computer right at 10am on Fridays, because if you didn't check out by 10:02, the games would all be gone. Some of the other companies that do limited physical releases, like Play-Asia and Super Rare games, still do things that way, and it's infuriating to miss out on a game you really wanted because you got held up by something and ended up being five minutes late. I'd love to own a physical copy of Wulverblade or Littlewood, but they're both scalper bait now because I had meetings those mornings. Plus, I pledge to Kickstarter campaigns or buy made-to-order figures from Super 7, so I'm used to waiting a while for the things I like. I'm an adult. I can be patient.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
ujnhunter
64-bit

by ujnhunter Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am

No More Heroes 1 & 2 replacement package finally arrived... and... no Collector Cards were included. This is super frustrating. I'm tweeting at them now... how hard is this?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:31 pm

I've been buying from them since their second Vita game, and I've never had a bad experience.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:03 pm

I’m currently waiting on my first order, so a question- after the final item in your order says “in hand”, how long does it take to get the final email with the shipping number?
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Return to General Gaming