Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

A thread discussing monthly new releases

by Raging Justice Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:15 am

I don't know if this thread will catch on, but I thought it might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to any new game releases members are interested or excited about on a monthly basis. They don't have to be retro by the way. You can rave about some upcoming, open-world, AAA, blockbuster PS5/Series X game if you want. It's all good. You could maybe talk about monthly new physical releases from places like Limited Run Games and Strictly Limited here too. I figured this could be different from the Games Acquired thread because it's focused more on new stuff, plus you can actually talk about these games a bit. I think having a thread devoted to new stuff could be fun. Anyway, here's some titles that got my interest for this month including a few I've already purchased:

Blue Fire - This looks like a cool, 3D platformer. I've seen people make all kinds of comparisons from Zelda, to Hollow Knight, to Gamecube era games like Mario Sunshine. The trailer looks interesting. I like platformers, so this is up my alley. I guess this was on Switch already, but it makes the jump to Xbox/Playstation this month which was the first time I heard of it

Samurai Warriors 5 - I like the occasional musou title, love my beat 'em ups

Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
- Interesting looking metroid/metroidvania game

Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials - Another metroid style game, I've played this one a bit and it's fun

Phoenotopia: Awakening - Boy there's a lot of metroid games this month

Cotton Reboot! - I'm not a big shooter guy, but I'm familiar with this series and I do find something appealing about "Cute 'em ups".

Cris Tales - An old school, 2d, JPRG that I am hearing good things about. BEAUTIFUL art style

Streets of Rage 4 - Mr. X Nightmare new DLC
- Sounds like they added a lot of substantial content, I might have to go back to playing this again. Honestly, I've not touched SOR4 since before they released the huge update reworking the entire game and that was BEFORE this DLC release. I've missed a lot.

The Eternal Castle {Remastered] - I've heard that this is a new game, making the title a bit misleading LOL. Anyway, it's a cinematic platformer I've heard a few good things about

EDIT: Little mistake on my part, The Eternal Castle came out near the end of June.
Last edited by Raging Justice on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note
Next-Gen

Re: A thread discussing monthly new releases

by Note Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:07 pm

I think this is a good idea for a thread! There are a lot of new and upcoming games that members are excited about and it's also a good way to keep each other informed about what games are on the horizon.

I'm aware of the new SOR4 DLC, but I didn't realize there was a patch that reworked the game. When was that released? My partner has the game on Switch, and we haven't played it in a few months, so I've missed out on a lot of content for that game as well. I'll have to do some reading up on it.

I'm excited about Demons of Asteborg on the Genesis, I was impressed by the demo and I believe the game just recently started shipping. For anyone that might not be familiar, it's an action platformer. I didn't pre-order it though, as I'd like to wait until some reviews come in. Hopefully it lives up to the demo, which I enjoyed.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:00 pm

July was a crazy month, bought way more than I should have, for August I am excited for:

Power rangers battle for the grid super edition: looks like a fun fighting game and the recently included dlc gives us ryu and chun li as power rangers, this definitely justifies the purchase for me

NIS Prinny presents volume 1: a collection of 2 srpgs, phantom brave and soul nomad. I do already own phantom brave on wii but I dont have soul nomad, being a huge srpg fan I definitely want to pick this up day one.

Broforce: gets a physical release, preorders end at the end of the month, this is just a silly fun game that has every 80's bad ass you could ever want playable, I own it on steam but am definitely picking up the physical version

No more heroes 3: Been waiting forever for this, trying to temper my expectations so I dont set myself up for disappointment but the first 2 games were great and this sequel has very long in the making

Thats all I'm looking forward to this month, anything big I'm missing?
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:37 am

Axiom Verge 2 was somewhat silently released on PS4 and Switch yesterday. The only reason I found out is because the Axiom Verge wiki got some new pages added and I'm a moderator on it. Just about to start it up!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:02 am

So Greak: Memories of Azure looks interesting. I'm going to try that. Wow, a game that actually released on PS 5 and NOT PS 4. Imagine that.

I was a bit hyped for Mayhem Brawler but after playing it a bit, I came away unimpressed. It's like a stripped down, poor man's version of Streets of Rage 4 and while I dig SOR 4 I dislike some aspects of it like the stupid combo meter and Mayhem Brawler has one too. Meh.

I purchased Hades. Titles from Supergiant Games always seem to get MASSIVE hype and this one's no different.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:36 am

Quake was released for the Switch yesterday, and I picked it up this morning. I’ve heard it’s a pretty good FPS.

I also picked up Islanders, which is only $5 and getting great reviews:

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/sw ... le_edition

Greak: Memories of Azur and Arietta of Spirits are also intriguing, but I’ll wait for reviews (and, more likely, a sale) before making a call on them.
Nexus-X
8-bit

by Nexus-X Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:13 pm

It’s nice to finally have a Quake port for modern consoles. I picked up the PS4 version and you can tell a lot of love and care went into it. Despite that, it still needs some work. Gyro aiming, while in, doesn’t feel aggressive enough. Mouse and keyboard support is kind of in with keyboard inputs and mouse buttons accepted, but mouse look is completely absent. Hopefully we get a patch that adds it in. Analog stick controls aren’t quite dialed in properly either. Fine inputs are too sluggish and acceleration kicks in too hard when you move beyond a few degrees.

The DOOM ports got a lot of TLC after release (though it took awhile), so I’m sure we will see adjustments to Quake.
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 pm

...so with October right around the corner the big release imo is going to Metroid Dread. I probably pick up Mario Party Superstars for family game nights as well, Alan Wake Remastered looks interesting but I think I'll pass for now.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:04 am

I made another thread mentioning these, but should have just updated this one. An Actraiser remake got announced and released the same day. Along with the release of Castlevania Advance Collection, which includes the SNES version of Dracula X. So now every version of Dracula X is pretty easily available for anyone to play. Pretty big retro releases for September. They didn't half ass the trophies either, as stuff like this often releases without platinums for trophy hunters. Not the case here.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:07 am

Deltarune Chapter 2 was released for free earlier this month on PC and consoles, it's available as an update on most versions of Chapter 1. I've only started it but I loved the first one, absolutely worthwhile for anyone who liked Undertale.
Return to General Gaming