Heads up on using RF Generation to track collection

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Heads up on using RF Generation to track collection

Post by Segata »

I recently found out in the forums. It seems the Admins no longer care or visit the place. The last DataBase editor quit a couple of months ago. So nothing is being approved. There does not seem to be a solution in sight. Any good websites that are similar?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Heads up on using RF Generation to track collection

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Segata wrote:I recently found out in the forums. It seems the Admins no longer care or visit the place. The last DataBase editor quit a couple of months ago. So nothing is being approved. There does not seem to be a solution in sight. Any good websites that are similar?

Since I don't own modern games and have pretty much all of the classic stuff I want (save a handful left), fortunately it won't affect me that much, but it is a bummer. RFGen was the best of the collection sites. Second place last time I looked (which has been many years now) was VGCollect. But it won't have the depth or breadth that made RFGen great.

It'll be a huge loss for collectors and documenters if it goes dark.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I use Backloggery, but it's nowhere near as detailed as RF Generation since it's all user-entered and has no database not to mention the wealth of information on each game that RF Generation has. This blows.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks for clarifying this. My submissions sit for months. Now I know why.

Honestly, I'm slowing down on game collecting. I might stop cataloging my collection altogether.

Before RFGen I used GameFAQs to track my collection. Their database is huge and doesn't seem as user-driven as RFGen. Virtually every new game is added on release day, if not earlier. It's not as pedantic though; it's good for stating "I own this generally speaking" but if you want to differentiate between Atari labels or NES "seals" forget about it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Thanks for clarifying this. My submissions sit for months. Now I know why.

Honestly, I'm slowing down on game collecting. I might stop cataloging my collection altogether.

Before RFGen I used GameFAQs to track my collection. Their database is huge and doesn't seem as user-driven as RFGen. Virtually every new game is added on release day, if not earlier. It's not as pedantic though; it's good for stating "I own this generally speaking" but if you want to differentiate between Atari labels or NES "seals" forget about it.

Tracking variants is good for ensuring you have a legit copy or if you're curious of provenance, but I didn't like how the years were skewed depending on which variant I put in. Maybe I'll switch to GameFAQs.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I moved on to VG Collect. Sadly you do have to re enter every game but it's an easier data base to use I have added some stuff if it's just releasing in a few weeks.