Are retro consoles ok with modern tvs?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Are retro consoles ok with modern tvs?

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Have you ever calibrated your TV with something like HD Essentials or Disney WOW? When TV come from the factory, they're are usually too bright (so they look good on display in stores with really bright lights).

I tried once calibrating my TV, the results were less than desirable. The colours were off, especially the brightness and contrast. I feel like I did something wrong. One thing I did and felt it was better is that I had sharpness way high, it appeared that putting sharpness closer to the lower end is the correct way the picture should look.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am still questioning a new tv purchase, I don't want to start a new thread but if someone did the upgrade do you think I will see a noticeable difference between a 2013 Samsung LCD(or LED idk) and a new OLED tv? I don't want to drop $500-1000 and then realize it looks just the same.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Just FYI, new TVs are starting to remove RCA ports entirely. You can absolutely still find some with them, but they're getting phased out. My new LG OLED only has HDMI, for example.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Just FYI, new TVs are starting to remove RCA ports entirely. You can absolutely still find some with them, but they're getting phased out. My new LG OLED only has HDMI, for example.

This has been the trend for a while. I saw plenty of TVs at Best Buy with only HDMI years ago. The future of modern TVs with old consoles will exclusively be emulation or new versions of the consoles made by hobbyist groups.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Not really; decent upscaler solutions are increasingly available.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Not really; decent upscaler solutions are increasingly available.

And typically require RGB (sometimes requiring an additional mod) and are expensive. They are effectively boutique solutions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Just FYI, new TVs are starting to remove RCA ports entirely. You can absolutely still find some with them, but they're getting phased out. My new LG OLED only has HDMI, for example.

Thats not a problem with me since I don't care much about running an original console, I only have N64 and a Dreamcast and I have RetroTINK which I think should be enough?!