Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Long term collecting goals?

by SamuraiMegas Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 am

Every Metal Gear game in every region. Maybe even Snatcher too, considering Metal Gear is in it.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:19 am

I had 2 collecting dreams:

1. Every (US) Game Gear game
This one might still be possible. I have a lot of the pricier ones already and only care about the carts. But I'm a long way off yet (and a bargain hunter that misses the days of finding games on the cheap).
Still, I need to track down at least a few more to round out my current selection.

2. Every (US) Black Cart Game Boy Color game
I don't think that I'd be willing to shell out for some of them though (Ghosts and Goblins, I'm talking about you). I might let this dream die, but will probably buy what I come across anyway.
A shame though, I love that it's the link between 2 game boy ages and the set would look epic.

... also kicking myself for not buying Metal Walker for $5 new at Toys R Us years ago (was I really that strapped for cash?)
Last edited by nightrnr on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
...just another lost soul...
zcal

by zcal Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am

Good topic! I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of years.

My collecting goals are really more parameters.
  1. I have four 1x3 ft shelves. All of my collected games and consoles must fit.
  2. All games must have at least one "partner" game in order to create a group.
  3. Groups should be made up of games from different consoles.
  4. Games must be those that I actually play or have substantial nostalgia for.
  5. Console games must be from the '90s. PC games can go out to 2005. Arcade games must be from the '90s, but since I collect console ports and not cabs or PCBs the port can be from a console of any era.
  6. Preference for complete games.
  7. I should be able to dump each game into my digital collection and catalog it on No-Intro or Redump. (Dreamcast discs are my current struggle...)

A few notes about my parameters.

I do have more games than fit on my shelves at present; I'm in the process of dumping, cataloging, and curating. The consoles that I still have (Genesis and N64) are mostly retired, and are included in the shelf space. Controllers, mini consoles, and Switch stuff that I actively use aren't included in the shelf space; they hang out on their own peg board.

When I create groups I try to select games that have some facet in common that's meaningful to me. They don't have to be from the same genre or series, though they certainly can be. Here are some examples of game "groups" that I create:
  • Street Fighter Trifecta
  • Street Fighter II Turbo (Super Famicom)
  • Street Fighter Zero 3 (PlayStation)
  • Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Dreamcast)
  • -
  • Obligatory Epics
  • Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  • Shenmue (Dreamcast)
I find that collecting like this helps keep things in check. I can actively work on collecting and curating without trying to be a completionist, which would inevitably frustrate me. It also introduces a good deal of variety to my collecting and makes me consider not only what would make good groups, but what games should be included in groups. I end up doing a good bit of mulling things over when I get an idea for a group, and I still have a number of games from my childhood that don't fit in groups yet so it's an ongoing process.

Eventually I hope to catalog my game groups on my website along with commentary on why I put the group together and images of the games' assets like boxes and manuals. Going to have to decide to what extent I can include imagery of assets and still feel comfortable claiming Fair Use...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Mine used to be "buy everything I don't have." I've since chilled lol. I *may* go after a full North American Vita set at some point, but I doubt it. Right now I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my Wii U set with the Japanese and European games that didn't get released physically in the States (I already have a full North American set). Other than that, I just try to get the games I love physically on whatever platform is my favorite (usually Switch for modern stuff).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 am

Its been whittled down to:
1. Buy the rest of the NES games I always wanted as a kid. Down to about 20.
2. Pinball machine or vpin table.

I had loftier goals in the past, but met many of them. Now it is less collecting, more actually playing what I collected.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 am

I don't really have much in the way of collecting goals other than 'buy games I want before they become unaffordable, but also try to actually buy less so I can work on my backlog'.

I did have 2 smaller goals that I was working to though, one of which I've achieved and the other of which makes my bank account cry.

1. Buy all Rareware games for the Nintendo 64
This one I have achieved, with Mickey's Speedway USA being the last one I bought a few years back. It's actually the only one I need to play through to achieve my secondary goal of 'beat all Rareware games for the Nintendo 64'!

2. Buy all of the major Treasure releases I want
This one is a little vague - I want all of Treasure's original IP games, plus a small handful of the licensed stuff too. For example, I'll pass on the Bleach and Tiny Toons titles, but I did pick up Astro Boy and plan to buy McDonalds Treasureland Adventure. I've still got a long and expensive route to travel for this one yet - some stuff I still need includes:

McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (MD)
Alien Soldier (MD)
Rakugaki Showtime (PS1)
Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
Bangai-O (N64)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)
Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA)

One goal I've had in mind for a long time which doesn't seem practical or worth it really, is to own a complete console library.... for the Pokémon Mini. There's only 10 games on the system, but the 5 japan only games are ridiculously rare and pricy these days and they certainly arent worth the money - so probably this one is a pipe dream!
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:46 pm

...games wise I would like round out my Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, and NGC collections in addition to making a decision about starting to collect for the SNES or not. A non-collecting goal is finally having every console playable, I'm even toying w/the idea of picking up a CRT.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm really not a guy with a bunch of long term collecting goals. It would be nice to have every American-released game on Sega hardware, but it's really not practical and I'd end up spending a ton of money on games I don't want to play. Even though my backlog has become terrifyingly massive with how many unplayed games I have, no matter what if I'm buying a game it's because I'd like to play it at some point. My collection keeps growing, but largely based on what I feel like I want to play at the moment!

But a few things that could be considered long term goals:
1) Get every Dragon Quest game - I already own a version of every DQ game released in North America so I consider this achieved, but I aim to keep up with it! I haven't yet decided if I want multiple iterations of games (ie NES DQ 1-4 in addition to GBC, the other version of DQ Monsters 2) or if I want to try to start getting Japanese games. But if nothing else, I'll keep buying American games!
2) Get a Pioneer LaserActive and all the laserdisc games for it. This one is SO absurdly expensive that I don't expect it will ever happen, but LDs, Sega games, and anime games like Time Gal are very much my jam, so it would be nice!
3) Get at least two more 32X games to bring my collection to over 50% of all North American games
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:29 pm

You can actually find the Dragon Quest I and II MSX carts pretty easily.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:25 pm

Coincidentally I just got an MSX! I guess I'll have to get those

EDIT: CURSES! They're MSX2 only!
Return to General Gaming