Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2021- Lets play games!

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 pm

I hope it's ok if I attempt this. So far I have this list.

Breath of Fire III (PSP)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (3DS VC)
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Wii U VC)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U VC)
Paper Mario (Wii VC)
Pokemon FireRed (GBA)
Suikoden (PS1 Classics)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Steam) - it came out 18 years ago!
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm

...alright, this sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to be pretty busy this summer but I'll list 10 I'd like to tackle. If I can get through 5 I'll consider that a win :lol:

1. Super Mario World (Wii U VC) - I've given this one a go many times but never finished it or even came that close to be honest. I've always really enjoyed it though and maybe this summer I can wrap it up.
  2. Super Metroid (Wii U VC) - Another 16-but Nintendo classic I started and never finished, I didn't even make a dent in the game. I know it's great and I'm a fan of the genre it started so I've got to play it and finish it this time around.
  3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii U VC) - Still one of my absolute favorite Zelda games, stop me if you heard this before...I started it and didn't finish it but this time I will.
  4. Thunder Force III (Genesis Mini or Mega SG) - I really enjoy shmups, especially the TF games, but other than TFV I sort of suck at them. This changes this summer...maybe?
  5. Phantasy Star II (Genesis Mini or Mega SG) - The first RPG I played on my Genesis, sadly it was a rental, now that I have my own copy this classic deserves some real attention.
  6. Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis Mini or Mega SG) - I keep hearing about this and remember all of the positive press it got in EGM and etc when it was released, well it's time for me to take this one for a spin.
  7. Hotel Dusk Room 215 (DS) - I'm sort of looking to get back into handheld gaming and I have good memories of this slower paced DS adventure. I want to give it a go again, it seems like something I can enjoy just chilling in the living room w/my family. It may even be a reason for me to finally pick up a 3DS of my own.
  8. Megaman X - X4 (NGC or XB1) - I finished Mega Man 1-8 a few months ago and other than parts of 8 had a pretty good time. It's time to make a run at the X games now, since the Mega Man games are sort of short I'm thinking I can knock a few of these out. Might even throw MM8 and MM9 into the mix as well.
  9. Toe Jam & Earl (Genesis Mini or Mega SG) - A fun classic that I've been overdue in getting back to, another Genesis rental from back in the day I have in my collection that I'd like to finish.
  10. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PS2 or 360/XB1) - Another staple in the genre, as a Sega guy back in college I lived through friends playing through this gem on their PSXs. Now that I have it in my library it's time for me enjoy it myself.
Last edited by Syndicate on Mon May 10, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

No shortage of missed classics on that list!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm

There's some really nice stuff on both the lists posted on this page. I'm really hopign you guys will share your experience as you work through these classics. Let us relive them vicariously through your posts!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon May 24, 2021 11:51 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Metal Gear (NES) - I’ve beaten the MSX version of Metal Gear, and I thought it was excellent. The NES port is very different, though, and equally influential. I’ve been itching to give it another shot.

Ninja Gaiden II (360) - The classic status here is probably up for debate. This was Tomonobu Itagaki’s last game for Tecmo, however, and arguably, the last great Ninja Gaiden game. Also, it has swords and would be great for next month’s TR.

Phantasy Star IV - I love Phantasy Star, and after beating the first game, I resolved to beat the rest of the series. From what I’ve read, this is the best JRPG on the Genesis, and it will be a nice reward after slogging though Phantasy II, Phantasy Star III, and Phantasy Star Gaiden.

Portal 2 - I love the first game, and I’ve beaten the co-op campaign. It’s considered one of the best games of the ‘10s, and I really need to beat the single-player campaign.

Shadowrun (Genesis) - I’m reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, and I think it’d be cool to follow it up with this game. I’ve made a few attempts to start this before, and it hasn’t clicked with me. I’m going to do a bit of research before starting it this time, though.

One down, four to go.

Portal 2 is stupendous. Everyone knew that except me, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 am

Man Phantasy Star IV is sooooooo good.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 25, 2021 8:43 am

Nice, loving that you've made some headway already Prfsnl!

I've just wrapped up my Together Retro game for May, which means it's time to dive into my list too. I think I'm going to start with Red Alert as one of the longer games on the list.

My list:

1. Probotector (NES)
2. Tetris Attack (SNES)
3. Mario Party 2 (N64)
4. Mario Golf (GBC)
5. Mother 3 (GBA)
6. Ape Escape (PS1)
7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
8. Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
9. Shinobi (SMS)
10. Herzog Zwei (MD)
11. Shining Force III (Saturn)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 am

Damn I was gonna wait until June but I could have gotten a head start lol. But I saw that Panzer Dragoon Saga fits June's theme so I'll wait until then.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 25, 2021 10:34 am

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:I hope it's ok if I attempt this. So far I have this list.

Breath of Fire III (PSP)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (3DS VC)
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Wii U VC)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U VC)
Paper Mario (Wii VC)
Pokemon FireRed (GBA)
Suikoden (PS1 Classics)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Steam) - it came out 18 years ago!

Definitely participate! While I am not entirely sure BOFIII, Minish Cap, and Ys VI are classics, the rest are really solid picks. Play Paper Mario and Superstar Saga ASAP!

alienjesus wrote:My list:
1. Probotector (NES)
2. Tetris Attack (SNES)
3. Mario Party 2 (N64)
4. Mario Golf (GBC)
5. Mother 3 (GBA)
6. Ape Escape (PS1)
7. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
8. Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
9. Shinobi (SMS)
10. Herzog Zwei (MD)
11. Shining Force III (Saturn)

STONE. COLD. CLASSICS. Great list, AJ.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Man Phantasy Star IV is sooooooo good.

I think that’s up next. PSIV and the PSII adventures are the only games I need to beat to finish up the classic PS series.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

by AznKhmerBoi Tue May 25, 2021 10:46 am

1 - Skitchin (Sega Genesis)
2- Virtua Cop 1 and 2 (Sega Saturn)
3- Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

Return to General Gaming