Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2021- Lets play games!

by Ack Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:23 pm

I mean, the PS1 port ain't exactly top tier representation, but Red Alert is absolutely classic RTS.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:27 am

alienjesus wrote:Mario Party 2 is often called the best in the series and is certainly a defining game in the genre.

AJ is right. The best game in the Mario Party series is either Mario Party 2 or Mario Party 3.

The first one has almost become an afterthought and a word of warning as that game can destroy N64 controllers.

I don't know if Mario Party is considered "classic", but 2 or 3 are the best in the series.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:^ classics

Nice list, SB. AJ’s list needs some work, though:

1. Probotector (NES) - Classic
2. Tetris Attack (SNES) - Classic
3. Mario Party 2 (Nintendo 64) - The first game, maybe. Not this one, though.
4. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (Gamecube) - Not a classic. Play the GBC version instead. That game is a classic, and inspired later titles like Golf Story.
5. Mother 3 (GBA) - Might have been a classic if people outside Japan got to play it. Forbidden fruit to gamers in Europe and the US, but not particularly groundbreaking or influential.
6. Shinobi (Master System) - A/K/A Not Another 8-Bit Arcade Port. Play the arcade original or the sequel. Play a different SMS game. Skip the just OK port.
7. Herzog Zwei (Mega Drive) - Classic
8. Dragon Force / Shining Force III (Saturn) - undecided which one currently! - Both are classics.
9. Gate of Thunder (Turbografx-CD) - Classic
10. Ape Escape (PS1) - Classic
11. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1) - Classic (enough, I guess

Haha, I have to defend less here than I was expecting. Let's take a look at the 4 in contention then:

Mario Party 2:
Well, first off, this is the one that Nintendo seem to go back to, as it's the only one of the games to be re-released on Virtual Console. It's widely regarded as the definitive entry of the N64 games, and it changes a lot of the mechanics from 1 which didn't work and set in stone the structure for the series for the next decade. The game sold 2.48 million copies from a quick search, meaning about 1 in 15 owners of the N64 had a copy, meaning it's definitely one of the most well played games on the system. For my money, it's an iconic classic game for the console, and for the genre so I intend to keep it on here.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour:
Now this one I was somewhat expecting. This was the 11th game on the list, so it's more of a bonus really. Whilst I could certainly understand arguments that it's debateable as a classic, I'm not sure how convinced I am that the GBC entry is any more classic. You mention it inspired games like Golf Story, but I'd argue the console line of Mario Golf games is more representative of what the series became, and also inspired numerous other games in the genre in how they play (stuff like Ace Golf, Outlaw Golf etc), as well as essentially spinning off the Everybody's Golf series on Playstation which also continues to be a long running franchise. The Gamecube title is often described as the best of these games because of the way Mario series elements feature more strongly than other entries, and I think there's a small case being made for this being the era where Mario spin-offs really defined the world of the Mario series in a really consistent way - definitely helped here by the characterisation of the cast and the animation that plays at the intro of the game. Anyway, I'm open to a counter-argument here. This is on the list because I own about 10 golf games that need beaten and this felt like the most classic of those to me. :lol: I also need to play the GBC game though, so if you make a strong argument I would be willing to swap!

Mother 3:
OK, let's flip this on it's head - sure, you might argue that as a game that never got localised that this isn't really a classic. But that would ignore a huge selection of games, particularly in the indie scene, that have been inspired by this game (and admittedly it's predecessor), including the likes of the super-successful Undertale. I'd also make an argument that it precisely the fact that it hasn't been localised that makes it so classic. The Mother 3 fan translation is without a doubt one of the most well known and well discussed fan projects of all time, and the push to get an official release is iconic in itself - it even got referenced by Nintendo themselves, at E3 of all places!: https://youtu.be/4FgzkZC0reE?t=45. It also continues to be referenced by Reggie himself, even years after he retired from the role: https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1233483672864600068 & https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1382885817262112768

I do have other RPG games I could play and I'd guess some of those would be definitely classics - but I also have an interest in bringing back Mother 3 because it's unfinished business from previous summer challenges. Here's some of those alternatives though:
Dragon Quest V (DS)
Dragon Quest IX (DS)
Suikoden (PS1)
Grandia II (DC)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)

Finally, Shinobi:
I don't feel like I need to make much of a case for this one. It consistently rates at the top of best Master System game lists, and is one of the most highly regarded games for the system. The fact that it is an arcade port is in and of itself one of the things that defines the Master System as a console. There's a difference between a game not being classic as it's not well known or well rate enough, or a game not being a classic because you personally don't like it :lol:

For what it's worth - I've played it a bit before and wasn't a big fan either. But this one is more unfinished business from years past and is staying right where it is :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 am

SpaceBooger wrote:So my list is... different this year. I haven't really thought about it. So here is what I have thus far and will finish the list soon.
I am currently playing Grandia (Sat) and Dragon Warrior 2 (GBC) so I will start the list with those.

1. Grandia (Sat)
2. Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
3. Shantae (GBC if it ever arrives from LimitedRun Games)
4. Dragon Warrior III (GBC) ​

Ok, any other recommendations?
With this many RPGs on the list, I may need some quick fix games arcade games. Any ideas would be welcome.

This list is looking nice so far.

It's hard to make recommendations for arcade games without knowing what you've played, but there's a whole bunch of Sega and Taito games that might fit the bill.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:37 am

alienjesus wrote:This list is looking nice so far.

It's hard to make recommendations for arcade games without knowing what you've played, but there's a whole bunch of Sega and Taito games that might fit the bill.

Last summer I played through Bloodstained and all of the Shantae games (minus the original) so I was on a platform/metrovania kick... Then in the fall/winter I beat Shining Force 3 Scenario 1 and got halfway through scenario 2 before switching to Grandia (this was after beating Albert Odyssey earlier in the spring).
I tend to go in waves, so... who knows what would be good, so I'm always up to try to start another wave based on recommendations.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Looks like it's that time of the year, hum?!?!!!?!!!!

This is my 4th RB Summer Games Challenge (Somehow i missed 2020, Covid and all that nasty stuff)
I've been meaning to do a very PC-Focused list since i brought back my old pc back to life so at least 50% of my list will consist only of PC Games.
As usual, i'm more into "retro" than actually "classic" but i reckon it's all about playing when all is said and done, right? No need to diminish even more the appeal of the challenge.
I'm putting my list up asap because i'm REALLY down to some retro gaming right now. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat May 01, 2021 7:01 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:

Last summer I played through Bloodstained and all of the Shantae games (minus the original) so I was on a platform/metrovania kick... Then in the fall/winter I beat Shining Force 3 Scenario 1 and got halfway through scenario 2 before switching to Grandia (this was after beating Albert Odyssey earlier in the spring).
I tend to go in waves, so... who knows what would be good, so I'm always up to try to start another wave based on recommendations.

How about some of the classic Sega IPs? There's a ton of good options on the myriad of Sega Genesis collections out there, or the Genesis mini if you have one.

Any fo the Shinobi games, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe... a ton of great choices and much more pick up and play and arcadey then all the RPGs!

lordb0rb4 wrote:Looks like it's that time of the year, hum?!?!!!?!!!!

This is my 4th RB Summer Games Challenge (Somehow i missed 2020, Covid and all that nasty stuff)
I've been meaning to do a very PC-Focused list since i brought back my old pc back to life so at least 50% of my list will consist only of PC Games.
As usual, i'm more into "retro" than actually "classic" but i reckon it's all about playing when all is said and done, right? No need to diminish even more the appeal of the challenge.
I'm putting my list up asap because i'm REALLY down to some retro gaming right now. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing what you play. I'm relatively clueless about most PC gaming, so it might all be new to me.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sat May 01, 2021 8:32 pm

alienjesus wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:

How about some of the classic Sega IPs? There's a ton of good options on the myriad of Sega Genesis collections out there, or the Genesis mini if you have one.

Any fo the Shinobi games, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe... a ton of great choices and much more pick up and play and arcadey then all the RPGs!

lordb0rb4 wrote:Looks like it's that time of the year, hum?!?!!!?!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you play. I'm relatively clueless about most PC gaming, so it might all be new to me.

This is what's looking like for now AJ
Ack

by Ack Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 pm

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War received several nominations from prominent game publications at the time of release for being both the best strategy game and one of the best games of 2004. It serves as one of the most prominent and well received representations of the Warhammer 40,000 universe in video games, particularly in relation to the relatively few other 40k games of the time. In an era where the RTS was also fading from public view, it featured three expansions and has since spawned a trilogy of full titles.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl helped continue the move towards open environments in FPS as well as spawn a trilogy of games, cement a legacy to which numerous other highly successful franchises in horror and FPS are still being compared (most notably the Metro 2033 franchise), and created a benchmark for all following eastern European and Russian game development. In a small way, it made Tarkovsky's film, the Chernobyl nuclear accident, and Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's novella relevant to North American popular culture, which in turn led to importing further media from the region.

Diablo II has formed the blueprint for the action RPG on PC. Though it is the second game, it built upon the original in new ways and further developed the multiplayer experience to become one of the most played online experiences around the world. At its peak, Diablo II was a juggernaut across multiple continents. We still see its legacy in the continuing series and other games from Blizzard, as well as genre titles such as the Torchlight series, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, and so on.

Painkiller is twitch and horde shooting FPS at its finest, with ridiculous firepower, incredible mobility, and a completely inane story that no one should care about, because we can shoot both lightning and shurikens from the same gun at evil cultists, killer clowns, hideous demons, and Nazi zombies. In an era where the WWII FPS seemed so dominant, Painkiller gave us our Quake experience back; it proved so successful, it became a foundational title for the Cyberathlete Professional League when it spread to the World Tour format in 2005 and further cemented Fatal1ty's legacy as perhaps the greatest FPS player to ever walk among us mere mortals. While it may not have done much to change the FPS genre, in terms of eSports, Painkiller served in a pivotal role.

I'll allow all four, and you non-PC whippersnappers deserve the thrashing that these four games will be giving you.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sat May 01, 2021 11:53 pm

WOW Ack..Just WOW

Thank you for this, Retro Pc Gaming is kinda iffy sometimes but i think it's also part of the fun, almost everything is set and running flawless.
This is likely my final list:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (2007)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (2004)
Painkiller (2004)
Diablo II (2000)
Rune (2000)
Aliens versus Predator (1999)
Unreal (1998)

Early 2000's were the golden days of PC gaming IMO, almost everything was groundbreaking and felt truly different from consoles.
Needless to say, i'm pretty hyped

Edit: Started another project with some guys and the month's game is Shadowrun on SNES, so it's my first non-pc game of the challenge!

Shadowrun (1993, Super Nintendo)
Return to General Gaming