Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Interest Gauge: Charity Auction / Raffle for Meat Fight

by Anapan Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I've had severe carpal tunnel (some still present), and luckily because the neurosurgeon was so skilled, operations have almost completely cured it. For some years I had almost complete loss of feeling in my arms and I'm sure I did a lot of damage to my organs overdosing on anti-inflammatories trying to get some feeling back to my fingers instead of tingling throbbing pain. The pain from nerves being distressed is incredible and someone who has not felt it would never understand. I cannot even begin to imagine what having a nerve physically destroyed might feel like, even having been shocked by high voltage is nothing compared to that. Maybe the closest thing I can equate is my dentist grazing a nerve while injecting novocaine. I damn-near passed out despite my high tolerance for pain and temperatures. Having had some of what you are going through, the outward appearance of being fine is only able to hold up so-long. I had to stop working because I was physically unable to safely use the power-tools I've used with ease for most of my life. Only once did I drop something because I was unable to hold it - luckily it didn't do any damage or hurt anyone. After the operations, I was back to work within a month - 15 years younger in the ailing parts. What I went through is nothing like someone suffering from even a mild association with MS.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can. l have some stuff I had planned to donate to the 2020 charity auction, and can prep more hardware from the pile if I know ahead of time.

If some help with administration is needed, or, as I have done in previous years, fully administrating it on behalf of the community, I'm happy to do that as well.
Last year I was out of town - working up until nearly Christmas, and I was not able to properly run the auction in the time-frame we've previously run it in. After asking for input about how to proceed, we decided that it was best to not start the auction rather than have it not properly planned and overseen.

The previous year, participation was minimal and everyone involved would've gained almost an equal amount of funds for the charity if they donated the shipping costs directly rather than donating items and shipping them. If the auction were open to a wider audience, or advertised (I tried but am not socially connected), many more funds could've been gained. Even someone listing and proxy---passing the funds through ebay might've increased sales. Despite the sparse participation, I think a good time was had by all, and I was eager to do it again.

I like that my hardware and games are going back into the RacketBoy community even if for resale for the greater good of our members and their families.

I'm all for doing another group effort charity. I think even with our core group we can make an impact. This is a good idea; Let me know what I can do!

If undecided on how to proceed, editing the OP with a multiple choice voting system might get more input from the community here.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:42 am

Thanks everyone that's responded. I'm thankful that for the time being, the amount of disability is low. The crappy thing is just waiting to see if the treatment takes. If I continue to reduce or have no lesions between MRI's, that will be a good sign. There's still a risk that I have a progressive form of MS, but that will take years to diagnose. So, taking each thing day by day seems to be the best option.

I'm really appreciative of the outpouring of support. It means so much to me.

Tentatively, I'll let you know when I've decided on a race. That will help me determine a timeframe for training and fundraising. That would go hand-in-hand with the charity auction, if that timeline works with everyone. I'm likely thinking that this could take place somewhere between June and September.
Last edited by Blu on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

by marurun Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 am

Please keep us posted. I think we can all start doing a little advanced prep.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm

I just ordered some of the parts I'll need to make the items I have in mind for a charity auction. I wont reveal what it is just yet, but I think it's awesome and I hope you guys will too. June might be pushing it, in terms of me having enough time to get the parts in and assemble everything.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Hey All,

Just thought I'd keep you updated. STILL waiting on a bike, but this should happen in the next two weeks. I'll be making a trip to Houston to pick it up. In the interim, I have decided to ride in the Bike MS San Antonio Ride that is happening on October 2nd, 2021. Barring any huge delay on the bike, this is my tentative plan and I'm sticking to it.

On the auction front, I've gathered a bunch of things from my collection (It helps that we recently moved, and I've been unpacking and going through things), and here's what I have so far:

Nintendo Gamecube Console with games, hookups, and one controller.
Nintendo Wii U (32GB) Console In Box with Games and Pro Controller
Nintendo Wii Game Lot
Nintendo 3DS handheld with charger and games
Nintendo DS handheld with 3rd party charger and microSD
Sega Genesis Game Lot
PS4 Game Lot
Nintendo Switch Game Lot
Blizzard Big Box PC Game Lot
Diablo II Figures
PS2 Game Lot
Original Xbox Game Lot

Of course this is just a ballpark, and things will get itemized with specifics. Things will probably get added, too!

Hope you've all been well and enjoying the start to your summer.
Last edited by Blu on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 am

Glad everything's still going forward. I'm still happy to support this in whichever way I can. I have (too much) stuff, and given this update I'll endeavor to prep more. Remembering previous years, I'm more likely to find and fix more things once the event is live. Given a deadline and the option to add stuff definitely made the previous auctions more lucrative with multiple members chipping-in more stuff..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Just seeing this thread now. Not a big poster but been here many many years. Happy to help and will contribute a few things like I always do for charity auctions.

Keep this thread bumping or stickied. I’ll look at what I can contribute later tonight.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:58 am

I said I would, if asked, run this. I gotta report that I'll be out of town for a few weeks. I can do a lot remotely, but my donated items will not be able to be photographed. Still 100% behind this.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
NotLuke
24-bit

by NotLuke Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:07 am

Bumping to show me and my wallet's support.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks all!

I am happy to report that I got my Meat Bike last week in Houston at an awesome store called Planetary Cycles. We were down in the Galveston area for an impromptu visit to the beach, and it just so happened that my bike was ready on our way back to Dallas. I am officially Bike #304 for Meat Fight!

Things are also moving along. I want to mention that Meat Fight has helped me get my fundraising pages set up. Here is my catch all fundraising page. I've requested that 75% of the donations will go to Meat Fight, and 25% will go to Bike MS / National MS Society. I want to disclose that it's my personal goal to pay it forward and help fund another person's Meat Bike, and the remaining 25% will help fund my minimum required to ride in Bike MS: Valero Ride to the River.

I will also link my Bike MS page here so that folks can donate individually, outside of the auction if they choose.

October 2nd and October 3rd are the days the ride takes place. I will be riding 100 miles on Saturday, and 38 miles on Sunday. It will certainly be a new challenge for me. I've finished three full marathons. For cycling though, I've never ridden that far; in the past my longest ride was almost 50 miles, so it will be a whole new level for me. But, I've got a great training team and fellow Meat Fighters (MF'ers of a different variety) for structure, support, and community.

If you've got any additional ideas, please let me know. I am thinking about adding some fun incentives, like allowing people to pick songs on my playlist for the ride, color of my socks on the ride, etc.

I am still going through my gaming stuff, and plan to add more. I want to make it worth people's while. I am contemplating running the by my local retro gaming group on Facebook, but that would involve bringing in new members to the forum and that carries some implications as far as bidding goes (with regards to vetted, established forum members bidding). It's a double edged sword, it could bring in new, quality forum members, but runs the risk of creating some logistic issues in the event of conflict.

Hope to hear your thoughts, and please let me know what else I can provide now.

When to begin?
How long should the auction be held?
Payment deadlines?
Logistical items:
Shared Spreadsheet with organizers for highest bids, payments received, and shipping addresses?
Return to General Gaming