Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Game evangelism: Unsung, weird, or bad games you promote

by marurun Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:26 pm

It’s not bad or unsung, but Lords of Thunder is one of the best fantasy shooters around.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
doit

by doit Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:29 am

Battle Monsters for the Saturn is criminally hated
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Definitely anything by Cryo so far. Commander Blood is absurdity at its most fun, but Faust was a huge surprise.

The opening cutscene was ridiculous including showing two tigers having sex with each other. The dialogue between Faust and Mephisto was so odd, and for some reason the entire thing is based in an amusement park, called "Deramland Amusemet Park" in the in-game map (yes it has full of typos). The graphics also suck but it adds to the surreal nature of it.

The ending itself was underwhelming as hell, but there are experiences in this that are absolutely frightening, and some that are incredibly emotional. It gives some questions answered of what will happen, but it leaves the rest up for interpretation for you, which is what makes it super effective.

The licensed soundtrack is among one of the best I've heard, easily. They do this strange thing in the second level where they take an old jazz song that's super pleasant, but the level itself is only a 2-3 second loop of the opening, and the atmosphere of the song COMPLETELY changes. It reminded me of The Caretaker's music. It was the last level that did it the best. Since it's based in the 30s most of the music is blues or ragtime jazz, but then it says a trip hop song featuring the vocalist in one of the huge Massive Attack songs. It hit me like a brick with the huge change and how well it somehow suited the atmosphere.

Never had a game that fucked me up so much. I kept expecting that when playing I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, but that game completely failed in that regard. This definitely achieved that dark side of humanity and overall gloomy feel in spades.

There is some instances of moon logic but it only happened like twice. Definitely one of the best point and click games I've played so far.
Nexus-X
8-bit

by Nexus-X Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:13 pm

While I think it’s become more appreciated in recent years, I loved Lost Planet 2 when it first came out. It was critically panned, mostly due to the trends and expectations of third person shooters at the time. Movement was manual and weighty, not unlike Monster Hunter which is now finally appreciated by the mainstream in the west. The grappling hook seemed initially limiting, but allowed players to rocket around maps at higher levels of skill. Its difficulty and old school sensibilities like I-frames, knock back, long transition recovery, and the lack of a cover system were pointed out as faults, but are now celebrated in Souls-likes. The 4 player drop in / drop out gameplay was one-of-a-kind at the time. There was even a random loot box system that required hours and hours of gameplay to unlock mountains of weapons and emotes (for free).

I would sing the praises of this game to friends who would thumb their noses and go back to COD. Really? Kaiju boss battles? Mecha? Transforming mecha that joins together? What’s not to love? What more do you need?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:05 am

Y'all need to play Muv-Luv
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Modern Sonic games get a lot of things wrong, but some of them have their moments. That said, I don't think Sonic Forces is as awful as people say. I recently started Colors for the first time. I'm up to Act 5 of Starlight Carnival and can already say that this game is worse than Forces. Yet somehow, it seems Colors got a better critical reception.

I think Forces also has one of the best soundtracks ever. It's cheesy sure, but in a fun way. If you grew up in the 80s and watched a lot of 80s cartoons you should be accustomed to some cheesiness.

I've seen Forces get a lot of hate for short stages. Do people not remember when that was NORMAL in video games...before they all became so bloated like they are today.

I also liked the create a character. It's not overly complicated, which generally turns me off to create a character features in games, and I like how the player avatar is incorporated into the story and how he co-stars in the game along with Sonic.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:20 pm

The Muv-Luv series is on sale on Steam. Just sayin'. Go buy and play it.

marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

If it ain’t on Switch it ain’t worth playin’!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:The Muv-Luv series is on sale on Steam. Just sayin'. Go buy and play it.

There's always a lot of talk about Muv-Luv, particularly in the visual novel thread. So what's the deal? Why's it so good? I like visual novels. Evangelize me!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:39 pm

marurun wrote:If it ain’t on Switch it ain’t worth playin’!

The upcoming Muv-Luv mech combat RPG is coming to Switch! Project Mikhail!

Return to General Gaming