Game evangelism: Unsung, weird, or bad games you promote

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Game evangelism: Unsung, weird, or bad games you promote

Post by marurun »

I hated ET as a kid, and I played it a lot. I couldn’t figure out the pits. I had much more fun playing other titles. But mostly I just preferred the ColecoVision. .
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have over 200 Atari 2600 games and I'd place ET in the 5/10 range. Playable but not great. There are many better Atari games, but also so, so many that are worse.

The "worst game ever thing" is an internet meme.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have over 200 Atari 2600 games and I'd place ET in the 5/10 range. Playable but not great. There are many better Atari games, but also so, so many that are worse.

The "worst game ever thing" is an internet meme.

agree totally. If you know what you're doing, it's definitely playable. Not super fun, but I've no doubt played much worse games.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

marurun wrote:I hated ET as a kid, and I played it a lot. I couldn’t figure out the pits. I had much more fun playing other titles. But mostly I just preferred the ColecoVision. .

I was tiny enough that I had fun just moving around and being goofy without needing to know what to do. I went back to it once I was old enough to read (and probably exceptionally bored as I was a small child with an NES hooking up the damn Atari again) after I read the manual I was able to make progress though I don't think I beat it.

It's definitely not a good game and I'd 100% rather be playing Berzerk but I think it's only infamous because it was made too early to ask such complex things from players (particularly the target audience of children) and it has the whole embellished landfill story as it wasn't the only overstocked Atari game to get buried.

I didn't really know ET was considered one of the worst games of all time until the Internet, though I think it's been mostly redeemed by now. Our microcomputer loving European friends had to wade through far deeper sewage than ET at the very least.
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

pook99 wrote:@Zrofel and Elkin: I LOVE devils third as well, it is so over the top crazy, I don't know how anyone could not love it, we definitely need a sequel but also will definitely not get one

We need to start some kind of Devil's Third fan club. I want to rehabilitate its reputation the same way folks did with Deadly Premonition and the original Nier.

Also, Night Slashers is amazing. That's one I almost feel like doesn't need evangelism, because I've yet to show that game to someone and not have them absolutely love it. That game evangelizes itself!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

You all need to play Muv-Luv. And Muv-Luv Alternative. And Muv-Luv photonflowers*. And Muv-Luv photonmelodies♮. And Muv-Luv Ultimate: The Day After (I haven't played that one yet, so I can't link my review).

Bone will back me up on this one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes I am a fan. :lol:
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

What's the appeal of anime/waifu/VN stuff? I like weird Japanese stuff but it seems most of the VN are about dating or getting a harem or something weird.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Like, 90% of VNs are crap. Definitely a genre where you want to do research on a game before diving in.

Most of the "top-rated" VNs aren't actually pure dating sims. More like mystery, horror, and sci-fi adventures with some romance elements.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Most of the "top-rated" VNs aren't actually pure dating sims. More like mystery, horror, and sci-fi adventures with some romance elements.

This. The average VN is to the genre what something like Hyperdimension Neptunia is to JRPGs; mediocre and pure fan service. The ones that truly stand out, though, either push the romance aspect to the back burner or use it for the purposes of setting up a larger story. Corpse Party, Muv-Luv, If My Heart Had Wings, Ace Attorney (I count it as a VN, anyway), Doki Doki Literature Club, Danganronpa, etc are all exceptional visual novels that either relegate picking a waifu to a secondary thing or use it as a tool to set up the story.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.