Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Game evangelism: Unsung, weird, or bad games you promote

by pook99 Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 am

ZRofel wrote:
pook99 wrote:@Zrofel and Elkin: I LOVE devils third as well, it is so over the top crazy, I don't know how anyone could not love it, we definitely need a sequel but also will definitely not get one

We need to start some kind of Devil's Third fan club. I want to rehabilitate its reputation the same way folks did with Deadly Premonition and the original Nier.

Also, Night Slashers is amazing. That's one I almost feel like doesn't need evangelism, because I've yet to show that game to someone and not have them absolutely love it. That game evangelizes itself!

I would 100% join a devils third fan club and sign a petition for a sequel, we need more Ivan in our lives.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

by Gooseberrysoda Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:41 am

The Nightmare on Elm Street game on NES is not only fairly faithful to the third (and best) movie, it's a great game to play with friends that actually gets better with more people. Unfairly maligned!

Also, I can't say it enough, Kolibri for the 32X. IF it ever gets brought up, it's as a gag, but it's a stunningly beautiful exploratory shooter from the Ecco team. Makes me wish they had made more stuff in this vein.
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:42 pm

Crusader: Adventure Out of Time is easily the best edutainment title I've played so far. It has great motivation to get you learn stuff, and actually teaches you a lot. The graphics are fantastic for FMV games, and the shot composition and cinematography of the cutscenes are just mindblowing.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 pm

pook99 wrote:
ZRofel wrote:
pook99 wrote:@Zrofel and Elkin: I LOVE devils third as well, it is so over the top crazy, I don't know how anyone could not love it, we definitely need a sequel but also will definitely not get one

We need to start some kind of Devil's Third fan club. I want to rehabilitate its reputation the same way folks did with Deadly Premonition and the original Nier.

Also, Night Slashers is amazing. That's one I almost feel like doesn't need evangelism, because I've yet to show that game to someone and not have them absolutely love it. That game evangelizes itself!

I would 100% join a devils third fan club and sign a petition for a sequel, we need more Ivan in our lives.

We absolutely should start a petition for a Devils Third sequel! That's such an absurd idea, I feel like it needs to happen.
pilgrimteeth
8-bit

by pilgrimteeth Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:22 am

I can't say enough great things about Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC, it's like the Dark Souls of Pokemon-esque monster collecting adventure games. Great creature design, robust breeding system, and insane difficulty really make it something special.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 pm

pilgrimteeth wrote:I can't say enough great things about Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC, it's like the Dark Souls of Pokemon-esque monster collecting adventure games. Great creature design, robust breeding system, and insane difficulty really make it something special.

How does it compare to the Nintendo DS Dragon Quest Monsters games? I thought I heard those had a pretty good reputation too.

Also, I think I'm going to be adding a new game to my list. It's a little early to say, since I only finished it about a month ago, so I haven't had a chance to really evangelize for it yet, but Super Daryl Deluxe is an absolutely wonderful gaming experience. I had never even heard of this game before it showed up on Limited Run about eight months ago, but when I started playing it I was genuinely blown away by what an all-around fantastic game it is. I don't even know how to summarize it, as nothing else I've ever played is quite like it, but as a gross oversimplification, it's kind of like if you tried to make the film Napoleon Dynamite into Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but you structured it like a western RPG, gave it arcade beat-em-up gameplay, and had the guys who created the Venture Bros. do the art design and scenario. I don't really want to say much about the story, because I don't want to spoil it, but the basic plot is that you play as Daryl, an extremely weird kid who just got transferred to a very unique high school, and in between getting taken advantage of by crummy friends and trying to win over the girl he likes, he has to save all of reality. It's got a surrealist style and sense of humor about it, but also a real sense of heart that gradually sneaks up on you over the course of the game. It somehow manages to subject its characters to hilarious amounts of life's cruelties, while also giving you the impression that the creators really cared about the entire cast. And the gameplay is the best kind of button-mashing fun, especially once you've obtained some of the better moves and can chain together ridiculous combos that clear the entire screen in a matter of seconds. I really think that if this game got more exposure it would be viewed as something of a modern classic.
pilgrimteeth
8-bit

by pilgrimteeth Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 pm

ZRofel wrote:
pilgrimteeth wrote:I can't say enough great things about Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC, it's like the Dark Souls of Pokemon-esque monster collecting adventure games. Great creature design, robust breeding system, and insane difficulty really make it something special.

How does it compare to the Nintendo DS Dragon Quest Monsters games? I thought I heard those had a pretty good reputation too.

I've actually never played it! For a long time, I didn't even know it existed and then once I did, never actually got around to buying it until recently. Really looking forward to it, though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Play Muv-Luv.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:18 am

Gooseberrysoda wrote:Also, I can't say it enough, Kolibri for the 32X. IF it ever gets brought up, it's as a gag, but it's a stunningly beautiful exploratory shooter from the Ecco team. Makes me wish they had made more stuff in this vein.

Absolutely agree. That game just feels good to play. I even downloaded the soundtrack once.

Also, I'd probably rave more about Ecco if it had more shoot-em-up in it like Kolibri.

Finally, so many shmup games that I would have went gaga over as a kid never got a proper or widespread US release. Like Parodius, Cotton, Twinkle Tale, Kieo Flying Squadron, Cyvern, Dragon Blaze... The list goes on.

As it was, I loved the port of Dragon Spirit on NES. Almost everything else veered away from the fantasy or cartoony.
...just another lost soul...
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:29 am

nightrnr wrote:
Gooseberrysoda wrote:Also, I can't say it enough, Kolibri for the 32X. IF it ever gets brought up, it's as a gag, but it's a stunningly beautiful exploratory shooter from the Ecco team. Makes me wish they had made more stuff in this vein.

Absolutely agree. That game just feels good to play. I even downloaded the soundtrack once.

Also, I'd probably rave more about Ecco if it had more shoot-em-up in it like Kolibri.

Finally, so many shmup games that I would have went gaga over as a kid never got a proper or widespread US release. Like Parodius, Cotton, Twinkle Tale, Kieo Flying Squadron, Cyvern, Dragon Blaze... The list goes on.

As it was, I loved the port of Dragon Spirit on NES. Almost everything else veered away from the fantasy or cartoony.

Twinkle Tale is amazing and way underrated. I also love Dragon Spirit (especially on the PC Engine). Check out its follow up Dragon Saber, too.

Along the lines of fantasy shooters, there's also King's Knight by Square on the NES that doesn't seem to be talked about at all. And I know Phelios gets crapped on a lot, but I actually enjoy it.

I do like my deep space shooters, but I wish more fantasy shooters would have been released.
Return to General Gaming