Games You Gave Up On 2021

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games You Gave Up On 2021

Post by marurun »

Didn't Mayhem Brawler just release today, or was it already out on Steam?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:Didn't Mayhem Brawler just release today, or was it already out on Steam?

It was supposed to released on the 18th, but I never saw it on the PSN store until midnight, which means it really released on the 19th. I downloaded it, played through 2 levels and lost interest.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Sonic Colors

So my experience with Sonic games in 3d consists of Adventure, Adventure 2, Generations, and Forces. I can confidently say every one of those games has better level design than Colors. In fact, I don't even know why Forces gets as much hate at it does. It's better than Colors. So I would say, go play that instead, or just play Generations which seems almost universally loved.

P.S. The alien wisp thing is probably one of the stupidest things to ever be added to a modern Sonic game
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Psychonauts 2

Wow. WOW. I can't remember the last time I saw a game jump the shark so hard. Seriously. WOW.

So I just finished one of the most obnoxious, horribly designed, MESSES of a boss fight I've ever had the misfortune of playing

There's a certain part of the game where you enter someone's mind and the whole thing revolves around food and cooking. This part of the game is tedious, repetitive, and ANNOYING to play through. It involves having to do the same annoying tasks over and over again with ever increasing pressure from a time limit that keeps getting smaller and smaller. This all culminates in a long, drawn out, tedious boss fight, where so many things are attacking you that you will be taking hits constantly. All the while you need to use telekinesis on some randomly chosen object and throw it at the boss. It doesn't help that auto targeting on TK is crap to begin with, but there's no way to know which object you are supposed to use so you will waste time TK-ing the wrong objects all the while getting hit by the swarms of enemies plus constant attacks from the THREE bosses trying to hit you.

WHAT...A...CLUSTERFUCK. Seriously, did someone get hit really hard in the head before designing this? The only decent thing I can say about that boss fight is that is has a pretty decent rock riff playing through out it, but if feels kind of out of place in a game like this. This isn't Devil May Cry or some Dynasty Warriors game.

On top of all that, this whole part of the game is downright disgusting and NOT funny. As you spend most of your time taking anthropomorphized, talking, food and doing things like slicing, frying, and boiling them in order to cook them as they are talking to you the whole time. I feel like this whole part of the game was designed by one of those activists trying to get everyone to go vegan by talking about living animals being slaughtered for our consumption. The boss fight has you getting assaulted by weird, gross, purple goo that they keep throwing UP at you. Yes, you are getting attacked by purple vomit. Jesus. Gross.

In fact, Psychonauts 2 seem to revel in being gross. Another person's mental world revolves around hair and as you traverse it you'll be constantly attacked by swarms of giant lice. Ugh. My God. What's wrong with Double Fine these days?

I was really enjoying this game. The characters and the writing were funny, clever, and charming. The world was bright and colorful like any good platformer...but this level, along with the disgusting hair lice level have thoroughly turned me off from the game. Psychonauts 2 just face planted HARD.

Oh well, moving on to the next disappointments. I'm having a run of really bad games and am updating this thread more often than I would like. My next games are F.I.S.T., Bloodrayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites, and Ultra Age. Hopefully, I'll enjoy those enough to finish them and won't have to update this thread again and can get back to updating the Games Beaten thread.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

aaaaand now I'm adding F.I.S.T. to the thread, which is basically a shitty version of Guacamelee with stupid looking furries and mechs instead of luchadors and skeletons. Whereas the Guacamelee games are metroid flavored games with an awesome, beat'em up combat system. F.I.S.T. is a metroid game with slow, clunky, un-intuitve, shitty beat 'em up combat, and cheap as fuck enemies.