5. Rayman Origins (360)
6. Castle of Illusion (GEN)
7. World of Illusion (GEN)
8. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)

9. King of Dragons (SNES)
10. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
11. Guardian Heroes (SS)
12. Saturn Bomberman (SS)

Very late, but I still wanted to share my February game pick-ups. I'm a big fan of beat 'em ups, grabbed two that I enjoyed playing in the past but didn't own. King of Dragons has a few unique mechanics and a nice selection of character classes. Guardian Heroes has great sprite work IMO and the fighting is chaotic and fun. The branching paths, different end bosses, and multiple endings are a great touch.

Also grabbed Illusion of Gaia which is a game that I saw a lot of promotion for back in the day but never tried in the 90's and was still curious about. I'm a fan of action RPGs, so looking forward to giving this one a go.

Years ago I played Saturn Bomberman at a friend's birthday get together and really enjoyed it. We had about six people playing multiplayer that night, but I'm looking forward to going through the single player campaign. I don't play too many puzzle games, so this will be a good change of pace for me.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Acquired 2021

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Indescribably based.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Indescribably based.

Lol, appreciate it! Have enjoyed clocking some hours on the Saturn the past few months.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah I have both a Retron 5 and RetroFreak (though I prefer the latter). They allow patching with physical carts.

Also, had another question about this. So with the patched translation, does that only play in English on one of these consoles? Or does it patch the cart and then you can play that on original hardware with the translation?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Indescribably based.

I agee. That Saturn Bomberman!!! I am jealous.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Note wrote:Also, had another question about this. So with the patched translation, does that only play in English on one of these consoles? Or does it patch the cart and then you can play that on original hardware with the translation?

Oh no, the ROM in the cart remains untouched; essentially these modifications are happening after data is first copied to the console. Basically, with the Retron 5, the ROM and patch (the latter contained on an SD card) load up together when you insert an applicable cartridge to play.

The RetroFreak is a bit different, as with that system you actually insert a cartridge once, and it dumps the ROM data to the micro SD card. From that point forward, you simply load games from the card itself (so each cartridge only needs to be inserted once and only once, that very first time). A ROM + a patch can still be loaded in tandem, but since games can also be booted straight from the micro SD cart, it's arguably easier to just patch a ROM on a PC and then place it on the card, or to just download a pre-patched ROM and put that on the card.

Note that both systems also dump the SRAM data to their internal memories once a cart is inserted the first time. So, the battery + internal save data on the cart becomes irrelevant from that point forward.

To use an example. Imagine you have a fresh copy (no saves on cart) of Final Fantasy V (Japanese) + an English translation patch. You put the translation patch on an SD card and insert both the SD card and the game into a Retron 5. You play the game, in English, to completion. Once you eject that cart and place it in a Super Famicom it will still be in its original state: in Japanese with no save data (unless you choose to transfer SRAM data from the system to the cartridge, which you can do!!!).
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Appreciate the thorough explanation, Bone! I was aware some clone consoles could patch translations and run the game with a translation, but I didn't understand how it was done.

Enjoy Bahamut Senki. Looks awesome.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Another Mega Drive import -- this time a VN/adventure type thing by my pals at T&E Soft.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Woah, nice pick-up Bone. I never heard of this game, but I watched some gameplay footage of the English translation and it looks pretty fun. I'm not very familiar with VN type games, but the atmosphere of this title seems awesome. I liked the soundtrack in the early part of the game that I watched as well. Also, that cover art is great IMO.

Looks like another legit addition!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Acquired List Of 2021!

1. Phantasy Star Online Version 2 (SDC)
2. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
3. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)

4. College Football's National Championship (GEN)

I added College Football's National Championship for the Sega Genesis this evening!

For the longest time, I've owned the sequel, College Football's National Championship II. For some odd reason, I bought it for $5 way back when I was a teenager.

My older brother took a huge liking to the game and used to play it constantly. He loves College Football and I used to find him playing that game for hours on end. In fact, that was the only video game that he ever played past the age of 10 or so.

So, I've always been curious about the original game. Since it's an old sports game, its extremely cheap and can be found everywhere. I never felt the need to pick it up, but I've been in the mood of a Sports Game, so I decided to save some money and buy a cheaper game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Acquired:

January:
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown PS4
Dragon Quest Builders Switch
Astral Chain Switch
Paper Mario: The Origami King Switch
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Switch

February:
Kirby Air Ride Gamecube
Ribbit King Gamecube
The Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie SNES
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky DS
Mickey No Tokyo Disneyland Daibōken SFC
Return of the Obra Dinn Switch
Gris Switch
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride DS

March:
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime DS
Captain Rainbow Wii
Biomotor Unitron NGPC
Madō Monogatari I: Mittsu No Madō-kyū Game Gear
Donkey Kong Land 2 Game Boy
Hey! Pikmin 3DS

Lots of new stuff this month and last (I forgot to update for February!). I got a few big name games I've been after for a while (like Kirby Air Ride) and a few games here specifically for February and March's Together Retro.