PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2021

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2021 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
* indicates a repeat

Games 1~51
1. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3)
2. Portal 2 (PC) *
3. Atelier Judie: The Alchemist of Gramnad (PS2)
4. Pipo Saru 2001 (PS2)
5. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
6. Atelier Viorate: The Alchemist of Gramnad 2 (PS2)
7. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SFC)
8. The Legend of Mystical Ninja (SFC)
9. Atelier Marie: The Alchemist of Salburg (PS1)
10. Ganbare Goemon 2 (SFC)
11. Paper Mario: Origami King (Switch)
12. Star Fox 64 (N64) *
13. Super Paper Mario (Wii) *
14. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC) *
15. Demon's Crest (SNES)
16. Cathedral (Switch)
17. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) *
18. Bowser's Fury (Switch)
19. Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos (Switch)
20. moon (Switch)
21. Casltevania 64 (N64)
22. Captain Rainbow (Wii)
23. Doraemon: Nobita To Mittsu No Seireiseki (N64)
24. Blast Corps (N64)
25. Doraemon 2: Nobita To Hikari No Shinden (N64)
26. Custom Robo (N64)
27. Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS! (N64)
28. 64 Trump Collection: Alice No Wakuwaku Trump World (N64)
29. The Sunken City (PS4)
30. Lair of the Clockwork God (Switch)
31. Star Fox Adventures (GC)
32. Atelier Elie: The Alchemist of Salburg 2 (PS1)
33. Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (GC)
34. Mole Mania (GB)
35. Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
36. Rock Man 4 (Famicom) *
37. Wai Wai World (Famicom)
38. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)
39. Mega Man (Switch) *
40. Mega Man 2 (Switch) *
41. Mega Man 3 (Switch) *
42. Rock Man 5 (Famicom) *
43. Mega Man 6 (Switch)
44. Mega Man 7 (Switch) *
45. Mega Man 8 (Switch) *
46. Mega Man 9 (Switch) *
47. Mega Man 10 (Switch)
48. Rock Man World 2 (GB) *
49. Rock Man World 3 (GB)
50. Rock Man World 4 (GB)
51. Rock Man World 5 (GB)

Games 52~100
52. Wai Wai World 2 (Famicom)
53. Tiny Toon Adventures (Famicom)
54. King Kong 2: Ikari No Megaton Punch (Famicom)
55. Yume Pengin Monogatari (Famicom)
56. Rock Man & Forte (SFC)
57. Rock Man X2 (Switch)
58. Rock Man X3 (Switch)
59. Rock Man X4 (Switch)
60. Rock Man X5 (Switch)
61. Rock Man X6 (Switch)
62. Rock Man X7 (Switch)
63. Rock Man X8 (Switch)
64. Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)
65. Magical Taruruuto Kun: FANTASTIC WORLD!! (Famicom)
66. Maken Shao (PS2)
67. Getsu Fuuma Den (Famicom)
68. Rock Man D.A.S.H (PSP)
69. Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
70. Joe & Mac (SFC) *
71. Atelier Lilie: The Alchemist of Salburg 3 (PS2)
72. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (Famicom)
73. The Bouncer (PS2)
74. Rapid Angel (PS1)
75. Atelier Totori: The Alchemist of Arland 2 (PS3)
76. Drakengard 3 (PS3)
77. Alwa's Awakening (Switch)
78. Hermina & Culus (PS2)
79. Atelier Meruru: The Alchemist of Arland 3 (PS3)
80. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (Switch)
81. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2)
82. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2 (PS2)
83. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
84. Super Mario Kart (SFC)
85. Mario Kart Super Circuit (3DS)
86. Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64) *
87. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) *
88. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (3DS) *
89. Rock Man X: Command Mission (GC)
90. Pikmin (GC) *
91. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GC) *
92. Far East of Eden 2: Manjimaru (GC)
93. Pikmin 2 (GC) *
94. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC) *
95. Shin Megami Tensei (SFC)
96. Metroid Prime (GC)
97. Bomberman Jetters (GC)
98. Maximo (PS2)
99. Operation Logic Bomb (SNES)
100. Bombuzal (SFC)

101. Splatterhouse (PCE)

102. Shin Megami Tensei 2 (SFC)

My appetite for SMT not nearly satiated with just the first game, I quickly went on to the sequel, which is also on the Switch Online Super Famicom service. Unfortunately, my appendix issues sprang up in the middle of my playing it, so I had to take a week off near the end of the game, but I got back and spent another couple of days finishing up my adventure. It took me around 35 hours to beat the Japanese version of the game using many rewinds and save states just like I had for the first game.

SMT2 came out a couple years after the first SMT and takes a pretty different approach to the narrative compared to the first game. This is a direct sequel to the first game, taking place some time after the neutral ending of SMT when Law has managed to take nominal control over society again. The followers of Law have built a massive pyramid-like city high above the ruins of old Tokyo called MILLENNIUM TOKYO, and that's where you, Hawk, live. You're a prize fighter about to engage in the championship bout to meet the heads of state at the Center as your prize. From there, you end up going on missions for the Center, even going as far as being claimed the Messiah after defeating the anti-Messiah in a huge staged fight, but that's when things really start to go off the rails and its revealed that (of course) things are not even close to the way they seem.

I'm of a split mind about SMT 2's story. On one hand, it's a bold step forward for character writing and a character-driven plot compared to the first game. On the other hand, the story is much less open and much more directed the first game's, but this game also keeps the same alignment system that the first game has. It results in a game where trying to get the ending you want is a lot more frustrating mechanically and a fair bit less appropriate narratively because of how the story is constructed. It isn't quite Megami Tensei 2 in how structured the story is, but it reminds me more of that game than it does of Shin Megami Tensei 1. There are some other smaller things I'm not a fan of, like how this game has significantly more homophobia in it than the other SMT games I've played (though that isn't exactly unique for Atlus games these days), but I'd still rank this game below its predecessor in terms of narrative. It's a good step in the right direction for making a more complicated and relatable version of the kinds of themes that SMT 1 is trying to talk about, but it still definitely needs polishing up in making the player feel like it's a world with more equally valid arguments to agree or disagree with.

The gameplay is a very similar to the first game in that it's first-person dungeon crawling with turn-based battles where you can fight or recruit the demons you run into, but like with the writing, this is another mixed bag of new improvements but setbacks to previous features. On the good side of things, you have now L is now a shortcut to your auto-mapper and R a shortcut to your demon analyzer, as well as the very significant ability to actually see what items and spells do in-game rather than needing to look them up like you had to for SMT 1. The most significantly appreciated step forward is in regards to demons and how they're no longer all completely identical. They're all still mostly identical, sure, but now if you make a demon via fusion of two other demons, they can inherit some spells from what they were fused from. It's not a massive change, but it's another very good step in the right direction that future games would follow.

The list of negative changes is unfortunately much larger. While the concept of alignment is still around, and it's still decided by story-important decisions you make (both optional and non-optional) and determines if you can equip certain items and recruit certain demons, you can now no longer check your alignment by which way your cursor spins on the world map. Now the only way you have to check it is by trying to summon demons of the presumed opposite alignment (law can't summon chaos demons and vice versa) or trying to equip some of the very small number of alignment-locked equipment. The signposting is also much worse, with it generally being much harder than in the first game to know where to go or what to do (particularly around collecting the very well hidden 7 pillars).

Random encounters have been lowered, sure, but they also give magnetite less frequently and they give less of it. You need magnetite to keep demons summoned, so a shortage of magnetite is a really bad thing to have, and there were several points where I had to spend large parts of the game either with no demons summoned or just grinding for magnetite because running out of it is such a huge problem. This is compounded by the fact that the way demon negotiations (to recruit them) have been significantly altered. They're more dynamic and conversational, sure, but it's also much harder to get anything out of them that isn't friendship. In the first game, you could very easily ask them for money, magnetite, or items too, but that isn't the case in this game. You can almost never explicitly ask them for things, and when they do give you money or magnetite, it's very small amounts. They thankfully also only ask for super small amounts of money/magnetite if they're demanding it in negotiations, but that really doesn't help much when you're already so short on magnetite.

Game balance is also similarly bad to the first game, with a typically brutal early game and a more easy mid-/late-game, but the final bosses are thankfully nowhere near as much of a cakewalk as they were in the first SMT. Like in SMT, guns and bullets that either sleep or charm enemies are going to be your biggest friends. Sword fusion is also much harder to do in this game, so it's much harder to rely on that for an easy super weapon like you could in the first game. I myself really lucked out by finding Fargus's Sword in the mid game, one of the game's best weapons that's a rare random drop, but without that I would've had a MUCH more difficult time. Leveling up still works the same, with putting one stat point into a stat (strength, intelligence, magic, vitality, speed, or luck) per level, so leveling up is still an exercise in very gradual power growth, so getting stronger demons or finding better equipment are still going to be your best options for dealing with encounters you simply can't beat.

However, the biggest reason for this difficulty spike isn't any of that, or even the dungeon design (which is still pretty damn mean in terms of invisible pitfalls, floor traps, one-way doors, and even more difficult to see in darkness). The biggest issue with SMT2 is the way the allied AI has been ruined. In SMT 1 and SMT 2, the way random encounters work is that you run into one or two demons at a time who each have several members of their group (from 1 to 8). However, although you can pick which demon group to attack, you can't specify which of the 1 to 8 you wanna hit. In SMT 1, your AI are pretty damn good at focusing down weakened members and avoiding trying to bash enemies who are slept or stunned. In SMT 2, that intelligence is robbed from them entirely, and they seem to attack things almost at random. This makes the game much MUCH harder in its random encounters compared to the first game, and that's an issue that persists the entire game (especially as you get more and more enemies who are totally immune to guns, which are your main and most effective way of dealing status effects in a game where MP is still such a valuable and difficult to recover resource).

The presentation is one area where it's a universal step up from the first game. Dungeon tile sets are much prettier, and although there are a lot of returning demons, virtually all of them have been touched up or altered in some way. There's a lot of new, good music too, but it's still in the much more low-key and atmospheric style of the first game. Good music, but not really my jam. You can REALLY feel just how much Atlus had gotten more comfortable with the Super Famicom's hardware in the two years between the first game and this one.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. This is a much more hesitant recommendation than the first SMT. It's virtually impossible to recommend not playing it with rewinds and save states like I did, but it's such a step down from the first game in so many frustrating ways that you're much better off playing that instead. Now if you really like SMT 1 and want more of that, then SMT 2 is a pretty good way to get it. Just don't expect this to be quite as polished or refined an experience as that.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2021!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Midtown Madness 3 (XBOX)
2. X-Men 2: Clone Wars (GEN)
3. Sonic Adventure 2 (SDC)
4. Mega Man 7 (SNES)
5. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (PS2)
6. Bust A Move 4 (PS1)
7. Phantasy Star IV (GEN)
8. Gunbird 2 (SDC)
***9. The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)***
10. Fable: The Lost Chapters (XBOX)
11. Growlanser: Heritage Of War (PS2)
12. Double Dragon (NES)
13. Star Ocean (SNES)
14. Pokemon Snap (N64)
15. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN)
16. Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (GEN)
17. Stella Deus: The Gate Of Eternity (PS2)
18. Super R-Type (SNES)
19. Threads Of Fate (PS1)
20. The Bouncer (PS2)
21. Phantasy Star Online Version 2 (SDC)
22. Final Fantasy III (NES)
23. Psychonauts (XBOX)

24. GrimGrimoire (PS2)

I beat GrimGrimoire on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

One of my favorite games for the Playstation 2 is Odin Sphere. It could be one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen in my life. It was then that I discovered Vanillaware and I instantly became a fan of their style. This beautiful 2D art style that is so intricate, I had never seen anything like it. My friend had a copy of GrimGrimoire which is another game by them and I was always interested in picking it up. My friend is a Master when it comes to RTS games while I barely qualify as a Noob, so I was a little intimidated when he said that it was rather hard. Well, one day while game shopping, I saw a copy on a shelf and it had been so long since I've seen it that I had to pick it up for myself. Deciding it was now time to face that high mountain, I decided to put my brain power to the test.

Much like Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire is utterly beautiful. Most of the game are just characters talking, but the level of detail on all of the characters is truly beautiful. The character design is also unique and so very intricate that I was amazed just looking at it. And that moves over to the gameplay where the character detail is so beautiful. With that in mind, it is amazing to see so many characters on screen at once and the game never slowed down. That was a large improvement in comparison to Odin Sphere. Now, when it comes to RTS games, I've only really played the original Warcraft and Pikmin. But, despite that, I was able to cruise through GrimGrimoire fairly easily. Granted, I was playing on the easiest difficulty and "LOL, Dragons" is the simplest strategy to win, but the game never felt cheap. None of the stages felt unfair even for a RTS Noob. Also, the game never overstays its welcome as there are only 25 battles and each battle takes between 15 and 30 minutes. Finally, I was absolutely enthralled with the voice acting and story throughout the game. The setting is very Harry Potter and the story is very Majora's Mask, but combined together makes a very interesting and unique story.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with GrimGrimoire. I don't know if I will ever go back to it for the harder difficulties as that is beyond my puny brain, but it was still a blast to go through. Don't be intimidated by a Console RTS game, this is a good one and anybody can really enjoy it. It's that perfect next step after Pikmin!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

First 50:
1. EYE: Divine Cybermancy - PC
2. Legend of Grimrock - PC
3. Legend of Grimrock 2 - PC
4. Shovel Knight - Wii U
5. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - PS4
6. Yoshi's Island - SNES
7. Vectorman 2 - Genesis
8. Super Mario Sunshine - GC
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest - GC
10. Bomberman '93 - TG-16
11. Cannon Fodder - PC
12. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn
13. Dragonborne - Game Boy
14. Rock n' Roll Racing - PC
15. The Lost Vikings - PC
16. Blackthorne - PC
17. Contra III: The Alien Wars - SNES
18. Bravely Default II - Switch
19. Axelay - SNES
20. Ryse: Son of Rome - XBOne
21. Killer Instinct (2013) - XBOne
22. Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition - PC
23. Thief: The Dark Project - PC
24. Killer Instinct - XBOne
25. Killer instinct 2 - XBOne
26. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - PC
27. Thief 2: The Metal Age - PC
28. Wing Commander II - PC
29. Wing Commander III - PC
30. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Switch
31. Shadow Man Remastered - PC
32. Wing Commander: Privateer - PC
33. Salt and Sanctuary - Switch
34. The Elder Scrolls: Arena - PC
35. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - PC
36. Resident Evil Village - PC
37. SaGa Frontier Remastered - Switch
38. Metaloid: Origin - Switch
39. SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - Switch
40. Metro Exodus: The Two Colonels - PC
41. Metro Exodus: Sam's Story - PC
42. Panzer Paladin - Switch
43. Returnal - PS5
44. Dark Void Zero - DSiWare
45. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn
46. Magic Knight Rayearth - Saturn
47. Cathedral - Switch
48. Final Fantasy VII Remake: INTERmission - PS5
49. Eterium - PC
50. A Street Cat's Tale - Switch

51. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - Switch
52. Banner of the Maid - Switch
53. CrossCode - Switch
54. Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency - PC
55. Ultima Underworld - PC
56. Betrayal at Krondor - PC
57. Assassin's Creed: Origins - PC
58. Axiom Verge 2 - Switch
59. Elderborn - PC
60. Hellbound - PC
61. Wargroove - Switch
62. Eye of the Beholder - PC
63. Quake: Dimension of the Past - PC
64. Quake: Dimension of the Machine - PC
65. Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - Switch
66. Anopek - PC
67. Baten Kaitos - Gamecube
68. No More Heroes 3 - Switch
69. Eye of the Beholder II - PC
70. Eye of the Beholder III - PC
71. Hedon II - PC
72. Deathloop - PC
73. Tales of Arise - PS5
74. Mechwarrior 5: Legend of the Kestrel Lancers - PC

Legend of the Kestrel Lancers is the new story DLC for Mechwarrior 5. The previous DLC added a career mode and a bunch of mission content, but it was all still in the procedural framework (with a handful of more unique missions). By contrast, Legend of the Kestrel Lancers provides a full 14 mission campaign of handcrafted missions that doesn't stretch things out like the base game does between its story missions.

The new campaign is still part of career mode; it is a new campaign start that gives you two lances of mechs and starts you off doing a couple missions as part of Operation Galahad. After that's done you're told that to check back with House Davion in 3028, one year from now. For fans of the Battletech universe these two things will automatically get you thinking in a certain way, and you're right. This is the 4th Succession War campaign. After a year of doing random mercenary missions to build up a bit more you embark on a two year campaign spread across three planets. First is the invasion of Tikonov, then the action on Tigress, before being dispatched to Sarna for that absolute fuck up. You'll need big hardware and you'll need to make sure you can field two full lances going into the end of that planet, as you have two back to back missions with no time to repair.

Each of the campaign missions are fully handcrafted, with new maps and voice acting. Some of the standout ones are an assault on an Earthwerks factory (very tight quarters) and rescuing an allied mercenary force holed up in the ruins of a crashed Warship. The missions also very kindly don't include any of the ambush missions of the base game. One thing you'll notice is that your time management is very important, as each mission starts a set number of days after the prior one, so knowing when to sell a damaged mech and buy a new one vs. repairing it up is crucial.

Overall it's a solid bit of content, and what I had hoped we would have gotten with the base game. It still ends up being a little short, but it's a fun time while it lasts. If the base game had been structured like this and twice as long, maybe split into a handful of long campaigns with a long rest to rebuild in between, then I think it would have been much better received.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

January Thru August:
January
Thirteen Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)
Dark Stalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSTV)

February

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PS3)
Metroid Prime (Wii)
King of Fighters 14 (PS4)
King of Fighters 2002: Ultimate Match (PS4)
Splatoon 2 (Switch)
Super Mario 3D World (Switch)

March

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch)
Bowser's Fury (Switch)
Triggerheart Exelica (Xbox Series S)
Guardian Heroes (Xbox Series S)
Megaman 4 (Xbox Series S)

April

Megaman 2 (Xbox Series S)
Megaman 3 (Xbox Series S)
Megaman (Xbox Series S)
Megaman 5 (Xbox Series S)
Megaman 6 (Xbox Series S)
Disgaea 1: Complete (Switch)
NiGHTS into Dreams HD (Xbox Series S)
Megaman Zero (Switch)
Megaman Zero 2 (Switch)

June

Mass Effect (Xbox Series S)
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox Series S)
Castlevania (PS4)
Super Castlevania IV (Switch)

August

Yakuza Kiwami (Xbox Series S)
Megaman X (Xbox Series S)
Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Xbox Series S)
Tetris: Connected (Xbox Series S)
Metroid (Switch)
Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVSx)
Doki Doki Literature Club Plus (Switch)

September

Batman: The Telltale Series (Xbox Series S)
Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVSx)
Ultra Street Figher II (Switch)
X-Men vs Street Fighter (Arcade)
Injustice 2 (Xbox Series S)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox Series S)

Yes, I am trying to pump my numbers with fighting games. No, I have no shame about it. Especially when the fighting games are in the Injustice series. I really, really like DC Comics. I consider myself to be an iconic historian of the post-Crisis pre-flashpoint era and my theories would be credited in many published works if they weren't just things I drunkenly postulate to people who don't care.

I think that Injustice is a brilliant idea. A whole sandbox universe where characters can act independent from canon and live, die, or side with unexpected factions and it is fine because it all stays true to the dedicated narrative the games and their tie-in comics are based on. It's a comic wonk's dream.

The games are also a lot of fun to play. I cannot say which one I prefer. Injustice: Gods Among us is a better fan-service game. It has a great story mode, lots of tidbits and easter eggs in the Archive and iconic alternate costumes. I think it also has the superior roster. Many of my favorites couldn't return in Injustice 2 because they were dead AF.

Injustice 2 gives you more of a reason to keep playing though. The armor system precluded having all the iconic costumes that the first game had but it does create a meta game that encourages you to keep playing the single player modes to optimize your character and capture the appearance you want. The roster is the only downside for me. There are plenty of characters that couldn't return and there were many odd omissions or choices. I like that Captain Cold is in the game but why not bring back Killer Frost? Why would you include Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles but not Batgirl? Doctor Fate is a nice choice but he also wasn't terribly involved in the actual comic story line. John Constantine or Zatanna would have made more sense. But whatever, it's still a great game. I'm just being a comic book snob.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

First 50:
1. EYE: Divine Cybermancy - PC
2. Legend of Grimrock - PC
3. Legend of Grimrock 2 - PC
4. Shovel Knight - Wii U
5. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - PS4
6. Yoshi's Island - SNES
7. Vectorman 2 - Genesis
8. Super Mario Sunshine - GC
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest - GC
10. Bomberman '93 - TG-16
11. Cannon Fodder - PC
12. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn
13. Dragonborne - Game Boy
14. Rock n' Roll Racing - PC
15. The Lost Vikings - PC
16. Blackthorne - PC
17. Contra III: The Alien Wars - SNES
18. Bravely Default II - Switch
19. Axelay - SNES
20. Ryse: Son of Rome - XBOne
21. Killer Instinct (2013) - XBOne
22. Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition - PC
23. Thief: The Dark Project - PC
24. Killer Instinct - XBOne
25. Killer instinct 2 - XBOne
26. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - PC
27. Thief 2: The Metal Age - PC
28. Wing Commander II - PC
29. Wing Commander III - PC
30. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Switch
31. Shadow Man Remastered - PC
32. Wing Commander: Privateer - PC
33. Salt and Sanctuary - Switch
34. The Elder Scrolls: Arena - PC
35. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - PC
36. Resident Evil Village - PC
37. SaGa Frontier Remastered - Switch
38. Metaloid: Origin - Switch
39. SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - Switch
40. Metro Exodus: The Two Colonels - PC
41. Metro Exodus: Sam's Story - PC
42. Panzer Paladin - Switch
43. Returnal - PS5
44. Dark Void Zero - DSiWare
45. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn
46. Magic Knight Rayearth - Saturn
47. Cathedral - Switch
48. Final Fantasy VII Remake: INTERmission - PS5
49. Eterium - PC
50. A Street Cat's Tale - Switch

51. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - Switch
52. Banner of the Maid - Switch
53. CrossCode - Switch
54. Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency - PC
55. Ultima Underworld - PC
56. Betrayal at Krondor - PC
57. Assassin's Creed: Origins - PC
58. Axiom Verge 2 - Switch
59. Elderborn - PC
60. Hellbound - PC
61. Wargroove - Switch
62. Eye of the Beholder - PC
63. Quake: Dimension of the Past - PC
64. Quake: Dimension of the Machine - PC
65. Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - Switch
66. Anopek - PC
67. Baten Kaitos - Gamecube
68. No More Heroes 3 - Switch
69. Eye of the Beholder II - PC
70. Eye of the Beholder III - PC
71. Hedon II - PC
72. Deathloop - PC
73. Tales of Arise - PS5
74. Mechwarrior 5: Legend of the Kestrel Lancers - PC
75. Maneater: Truth Quest - PC

When you finished Maneater were you like "man, I could use more shark action"? Well you're in luck, because Truth Quest provides another several hours of shark action. Unfortunately, it does end up feeling a bit samey, as there isn't the same sense of progression that you got in the base game. And the framing story isn't nearly as enjoyable.

The premise is that the guy who was hosting the nature documentary framing story got his show cancelled for actually showing you nomming humans. So he goes full on conspiracy nut, and somehow it's tied to you. See, this is my first complaint; the smarmy nature show has been replaced with a guy spouting the craziest shit you've ever heard, the kind you see in cartoons that parody conspiracy theorists. And you, the shark, have no real tie to this. You find your way to a new zone, nom some stuff, and I guess you notice that there's some big predator you need to track down and kill in the original map. Except it doesn't really show you any of that, just a quick cutscene of the narrator going "omg they released this giant monster". It's not like the base game where you are trying to grow and then take revenge for your mom.

In terms of new gameplay you can level up another ten times but don't get a size increase, so they feel pretty meaningless. You get one more passive slot and there's a new set of evolutions, the radioactive evolution. This lets you shoot beams out of your mouth, and it's pretty OP. The last boss is the only thing that doesn't melt to it, and it's because there's a cutscene midway through that kills your remaining meter and it regenerates its armor. There's a new mission type where you race through rings; this involves a fair amount of jumps and land action so if you aren't comfortable with that you'll have a bad time. And there is a new move; you can grab a human or an explosive barrel and shoot it at a target with your tail. This is required to do as there are helicopters and towers that need to be taken down in quests, and it's incredibly fiddly and dumb. But the rest is the same shark nom gameplay of before.

Overall, Truth Quest is a lesser version of the base game but it has more reasons for you to run around and be a murder machine. Your enjoyment will directly correlate to how much more shark action you want.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Horace (Switch)
2. Ghostrunner (Switch)
3. Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland (NES)
4. Mickey’s Safari in Letterland (NES)
5. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross (3DS)
7. World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald (Genesis)
8. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
9. Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
10. Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
11. Portal 2 [co-op] (PS3)
12. Operencia: The Stolen Sun (Switch)
13. The Knight of Queen (Switch)
14. Q.U.B.E. - Director’s Cut (PS3)
15. What the Golf?! (Switch)
16. Prune (iOS)
17. Kenshō (iOS)
18. For the Frog the Bell Tolls (GameBoy)
19. Holedown (iOS)
20. King’s Field (PS1)
21. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
22. MO: Astray (Switch)
23. EQI (Switch)
24. Foxyland (Switch)
25. Carrion (Switch)
26. QUBE 2 (Switch)
27. Aaero (Switch)
28. Portal 2 (PS3)
29. Alwa’s Awakening (Switch)
30. Alwa’s Legacy (Switch)
31. Mega Man 11 (Switch)
32. Superliminal (Switch)
33. Shantae & The Seven Sirens (Switch)
34. Halo 3 (360)
35. Legacy of the Wizard (NES)
36. Robo Warrior (NES)
37. Blaster Master Boy (GB)
38. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (3DS)
39. Donkey Kong Land (GB)
40. Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS)
41. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
42. Steamworld Dig 2 (3DS)
43. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis)
44. Streets of Rage (Game Gear)
45. Streets of Rage (Master System)
46. Streets of Rage 2 (Game Gear)
47. Streets of Rage II (Master System)
48. Ninja Gaiden (PC Engine)
49. Ninja Gaiden II (DOS)
50. Ninja Gaiden III (Lynx)

51. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
52. Kung Fu Master (Arcade)
53. Kung Fu Master (7800)
54. Vigilante (Master System)
55. Vigilante (Arcade)
56. Donkey Kong (7800)
57. Touhou Luna Nights (Switch)

Touhou Luna Nights is a bite-sized metroidvania based on the Touhou project and developed by Team Ladybug (which recently received quite a bit of attention for developing Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth). In Touhou Luna Nights, you play as a knife-throwing maid attempting to escape some sort of virtual world created out of gems. You run into all sorts of characters you are supposed to recognize, but since the only thing I know about the Touhou project is that it has, apparently, resulted in some pretty good shmups, the story made absolutely no sense to me.

That’s OK, though, because, regardless of whether you can make sense of the story, Touhou Luna Nights is a really solid game. In addition to throwing knives, the maid picks up a few new abilities as the game progresses, the most interesting of which is the ability to stop time. This ability is critical to the game’s very intense combat, and it is also critical for solving puzzles and navigating some very clever traps. The maid also has the ability to “graze” enemies to recover health and magic. (Grazing enemies whole time is stopped is safer, but only allows you to recover magic. Grazing enemies at full speed is more dangerous, but allows you to recover health.) None of the game’s enemies drop restorative; so, grazing enemies and projectiles is critical to survival.

Grazing is most critical during the game’s stupendous shmup-inspired boss battles. Each is incredibly intense, and you will die many times learning the boss’s patterns. The game is never unfair, however, and once you learn the patterns and know when to stop time to recover magic (and when to dodge a flurry of projectiles to recover your entire health bar), you will be able to defeat most bosses with relative ease. The boss battles really are a highlight, and frankly, the game would be worth its price if it only contained a boss rush.

My primary complaint with the game is that, while it’s ostensibly a metroidvania, it really does not encourage exploration at all. Each section of the game is pretty linear, and you will find most everything in it during your first pass, meaning there isn’t much reason to revisit areas after you’ve cleared them. Moreover, many of the backgrounds are very flat, and most sections reuse the same tile sets throughout. Accordingly, the world lacks the “personality” of a game in, say, the Castlevania series. The sprite-work in contrast, is stupendous, and it captures Symphony of the Night’s sprite aesthetic more than any other game I’ve played. (The music is also pretty solid.)

While I had a few complaints, I enjoyed Touhou Luna Nights quite a bit, and I don’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a 5- to 7-hour action platformer (with light exploration). After playing it, I am really excited for Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, and I look forward to the developer’s next game. (I would swoon if Konami let them make a Castlevania game.)
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I heard Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is coming to Switch and I'm hella excited. Even though I own it on Steam I'm going to buy it on Switch. Same for the forthcoming Switch ports of the Shadowrun Trilogy.

And speaking of Switch games, I beat Madbat 64 today. It's a short, so-so N64-inspired throwback platformer with only a handful of short levels and equally short bonus levels, one of which grants you the ability to fly forever in lieu of stopping after a few presses of the jump button. But you have to find a few hidden collectibles in the main stages. This also helps you find hidden Easter eggs.

A decent game for its price of $1.99US.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

I’ve realized that most NES games, and honestly, a lot of SNES games, are short.
Last edited by VG_Addict on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Post by marurun »

VG_Addict wrote:I’ve realized that most NES games, and honestly, a lot of SNES games, are short.

I'm surprised it took you this long to realize that. Also, this isn't the appropriate thread for that thought (I don't see a context for it in the recent reviews).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2021 - 93
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. God of War - PlayStation 3 - January 1
2. God of War II - PlayStation 3 - January 2
3. God of War: Chains of Olympus - PlayStation 3 - January 3
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - PlayStation 3 - January 4
5. God of War III - PlayStation 4 - January 6
6. God of War: Ascension - PlayStation 3 - January 9
7. God of War [2018] - PlayStation 4 - January 16
8. Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins - PlayStation 4 - January 16
9. God of War: Betrayal - Mobile - January 17
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Switch - January 18
11. Muv-Luv photonflowers* - Steam - January 22
12. Muv-Luv photonmelodies♮ - Steam - January 27

February (5 Games Beaten)
13. Gun Gun Pixies - Switch - February 1
14. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS4 - February 8*
15. Pantsu Hunter: Back to the 90s - Vita - February 13
16. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4 - February 17*
17. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Steam - February 23

March (3 Games Beaten)
18. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Steam - March 4
19. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd - Steam - March 7
20. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - PS4 - March 21

April (7 Games Beaten)
21. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - PS4 - April 5
22. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 00 - Steam - April 7
23. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 01 - Steam - April 10
24. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 02 - Steam - April 11
25. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 03 - Steam - April 13
26. Neptunia Virtual Stars - PS4 - April 18
27. Before Your Eyes - Steam - April 18

May (9 Games Beaten)
28. New Pokemon Snap - Switch - May 2
29. Resident Evil 8: Village - PS5 - May 8
30. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Switch - May 15
31. Torment: Tides of Numenera - Xbox One - May 18
32. Pepsiman - PS1 - May 20
33. Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo: The Card Fighters - Switch - May 20
34. Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure - Switch - May 23
35. Planetscape: Torment - Steam - May 26
36. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Switch - May 31

June (17 Games Beaten)
37. Hentai vs Evil - Switch - June 1
38. Troll and I - Switch - June 2
39. Zombie Army 4: Dead War - PlayStation 4 - June 5
40. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - Switch - June 6
41. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16 - June 7
42. Puyo Puyo 2 - Game Gear - June 17
43. Yakuza 0 - Playstation 4 - June 19
44. Neptunia Shooter - Playstation 5 - June 20
45. Little Samson - NES - June 22
46. Tiger-Heli - NES - June 23
47. Blaster Master - NES - June 23
48. Gun-Nac - NES - June 24
49. Rollerblade Racer - NES - June 25
50. Marble Madness - NES - June 25
51. Metroid - NES - June 25
52. Mario Golf: Super Rush - Switch - June 26
53. Metroid: Zero Mission - GBA - June 28
54. Metroid II: Return of Samus - Game Boy - June 29

July (31 Games Beaten)
55. Super Metroid - SNES - July 1
56. Where's Waldo? - NES - July 1
57. Metroid Fusion - GBA - July 2
58. Neptunia ReVerse - PlayStation 5 - July 3
59. Tetris Effect: Connected - Series X - July 3
60. Battletoads - Xbox One - July 4
61. Chicken Police: Paint it Red! - Switch - July 5
62. The Falconeer - Series X - July 7
63. Astral Chain - Switch - July 10
64. Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus - NES - July 12
65. Skull and Crossbones - NES - July 12
66. Sky Kid - NES - July 12
67. Top Gun - NES - July 12
68. Top Gun: The Second Mission - NES - July 13
69. Mega Man 7 - SNES - July 13
70. Mega Man X - SNES - July 14
71. Mega Man X2 - SNES - July 15
72. Second Extinction - Series X - July 15
73. Mega Man X3 - SNES - July 16
74. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - Game Boy - July 19
75. Mega Man II - Game Boy - July 19
76. Mega Man III - Game Boy - July 19
77. Mega Man IV - Game Boy - July 20
78. Mega Man V - Game Boy - July 20
79. Mega Man Xtreme - GBC - July 21
80. Mega Man Xtreme 2 - GBC - July 21
81. Portal Runner - GBC - July 22
82. Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind - SNES - July 22
83. Mega Man and Bass - SNES - July 23
84. Cotton Reboot! - Switch - July 27
85. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4 - July 29

August (2 Games Beaten)
86. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1 - Series X - August 7
87. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 - Series X - August 7

September (6 Games Beaten)
88. Maneater: Truth Quest - PS5 - September 5
89. Empire of Angels IV - Switch - September 5
90. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4 - September 19
91. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force - GOG - September 21
92. Star Trek: Elite Force II - GOG - September 25
93. Earth Defense Force: World Brothers - Switch - September 29

93. Earth Defense Force: World Brothers - Switch - September 29

Earth Defense Force is one of my all-time favorite series. If you've played any of the games, then you know exactly what you're getting here - bad frame rate, sub-par visuals, gloriously horrible voice acting, and thousands upon thousands of giant insects to shoot. It's wonderful and the absolute epitome of "stupid, pointless fun." When I saw that one was coming to Switch, while I wasn't jazzed about the visual style chosen, I was VERY excited to have an entry in the series on my favorite of the current consoles.

As you can probably tell from the Minecraft-esque blocky art style, this is a very light-hearted and often tongue-in-cheek entry in the series. With the exceptions of Insect Armageddon and Iron Rain, none of the games took themselves too too seriously, but this one is pretty up front with the fact that it's not serious. You've got one character who routinely breaks the fourth wall and talks about the script and the game developers and even name drops other games in the series (think the archery contest scene from Robin Hood: Men in Tights); characters who run around in giant panda, koala, and bear costumes; a Twitch streamer character; and the fact that the Earth, sun, and moon are all cubes. No one's mistaking this for a serious game. That's part of the charm, though; the entire premise of the series is ridiculous, and instead of trying to make it more serious like they did to a certain extent with Iron Rain, they totally lean into the absurdity, and it totally works here.

The general premise is that the various aliens from the other games in the series have all invaded Earth again under the command of the mysterious Dark Tyrant, and this time, they've managed to physically tear the Earth apart. Rather than render the chunks of the planet utterly lifeless as would actually happen, it just means that the EDF has to fight across different pieces of the broken Earth, destroying the Motherships to magically reassemble the planet. You can assemble a team of up to four units between whom you can switch freely, and while you start off with just a few units, there are three randomly generated units that you can find and rescue in each mission. If the rescued unit is one that you haven't found before, they're added to your roster; if it's one that you have found before, they gain skill points and, upon leveling up, gain the ability to use a new weapon type. This gives you a strong incentive to hunt down all of the units in need of rescue before finishing the mission. Some of these units are pulled straight from other games and even say (EDF3) or (EDF:IR) beside their names to denote their game of origin. Other units are based on hilarious (and borderline offensive at times) caricatures of their home countries. For example, the representative unit of Mexico is Amigo Brother, and he wears a giant sombrero, a colorful serape, and a guitar on his back; and his special attack is to throw bottles of tequila that act as Molotov cocktails with a special ability that has him pull out a trumpet and start playing to boost nearby allies' attack and defense.

While I absolutely loved my time with it, I do have my complaints with the game. First off, I hate the visual style chosen, and I don't just mean the blocky look; there's this bizarre filter that they use that gives it a rather blurred look almost as if oil or something were smeared on the camera lens. I've seen gameplay of the PS4 and PC versions, and while the blur obviously isn't as severe with the higher resolutions on those platforms, the odd filter effect is still there. It's by no means a deal-breaker, and I was eventually able to look past it, but it's certainly not pleasing. I'm also not a fan of the not-infrequent performance hiccups. It never crashed on me, but it wasn't at all uncommon to see some pretty major (albeit thankfully momentary) frame rate dips at the start of missions and when the action got heavy. I'm also not a fan of the lack of any local multiplayer. I absolutely understand the limited system resources available, especially on Switch, but this type of game just seems perfect for some mindless Saturday afternoon couch co-op. Crack open a few beers (or, in my case, ciders), order a pizza, and slaughter some giant bugs. It does at least support local co-op via multiple Switch units, so that's something, but it's a shame that you can't do old-school split screen even if I understand that the Switch hardware probably would have made this a Herculean effort to pull off.

Earth Defense Force: World Brothers certainly isn't a masterpiece of a game, and it's not even the best of the series, but it's definitely an extremely fun entry and a must-play for fans of the series or fans of goofy games and third person shooters. As long as you don't go in expecting a game with the budget or polish of a AAA studio and are cool with a dumb, silly story, there's a lot of fun to be had here. I hate the visual style they went with, and I wish it supported local co-op, but if you either have other friends with the game or are cool just slaughtering giant insects solo, this is a very enjoyable experience, and it's great to see this series finally grace a Nintendo platform with a release (even if it's not a main series game).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.