Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Are you getting a 9th gen console?

Definitely yes!
31%
Maybe later.
31%
No plans as of right now.
38%

Total votes: 29

fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Post by fuctfuct »

bmoc wrote:
fuctfuct wrote:Both these consoles are pretty ugly IMO. I'm not interested in the Xbox, at all, but really want a PS5. However, I will not buy one until the slim comes out :( . Thing is just way too massive, and ugly. Even worse than the OG PS3.

In the recent PS5 teardown video that Sony released, the side panels look to be easily removable. I'd expect to see aftermarket side panels in the near future that radically change the look.

It's still a massive skyscraper, wifi modem, looking monstrosity though. Looks even more ridonkulous on its side. The PlayStation 5 is without a doubt the ugliest and largest console ever created, IMO :D

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

fuctfuct wrote:The PlayStation 5 is without a doubt the ugliest and largest console ever created, IMO :D

My childhood Atari 5200 begs to differ. :wink:
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Haha :D
marurun

Post by marurun »

That falls under "no plans right now". Because ever includes right now.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I will be getting a PS5 not because I want to play modern games but I want a modern dvd/bluray player+streaming device. Current BD players on amazon range between $100-$200. A weak chromebox costs $200-300. Pay a little more and you get 16GB RAM, 800GB SSD storage, BD drive, a controller, 4K Games...this deal is insanely good. So why not? Meanwhile I am hoping maybe to play a game or two here from the modern ones, and maybe there are some retro releases from my gaming backlog.

I am not up for the white console though because I want a darker color to make it blend on my TV setup, I don't think we will see a slim release or redesign until 2 years in which will be too far for me and there are no guarantees it could be 4 years in, maybe never!

fuctfuct wrote:It's still a massive skyscraper, wifi modem, looking monstrosity though. Looks even more ridonkulous on its side. The PlayStation 5 is without a doubt the ugliest and largest console ever created, IMO :D

I don't think its plain ugly, at least it has a design not just black box. The ugliest console to me might be the original PS3...that thing...is a monster. I didn't realize the PS5 was this huge until you posted this picture. Original PS4 and PS3 were ugly large objects can't believe they were ok to release them like this. Why can't we have nicer looking console like NGC and Wii.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Well, as has been mentioned, the side panels on the PS5 look to pop off pretty readily, likely designed to be replaced with something suited to your decor/etc.

They'll likely have different colors for various game bundles anyway.

The phat PS3 is indeed an ugly beast, doubly so with being gloss black and chrome, with the Spider-Man font on it...very dated, very much a fingerprint magnet.

Personally, I tend to like the cleaner designs, especially if they're also functional, which is something MS has done very well with I'd say. PS4 is largely the same. You've got disc slots worked into the geometry of the machine, ports too in the case of Sony...MS also rolled back to physical buttons on the One S/X which are nice (Sony had 'em, but they're small and not great IMO).
The Series X seems like it's function first, with some nice design nods worked in (the vents are colored, to create the illusion of glowing internals, for instance). Apparently very, very quiet too.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I might get one way down the line, but it’ll probably be a while. I’m not in any rush, I just got a Switch and I’m starting to work on some retro collections, I don’t need to fill up my plate.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:That falls under "no plans right now". Because ever includes right now.

If you want to get technical about it, "right now" does not include "ever," even if "ever" includes "right now." So "right now" tells us zero information about "ever."
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
marurun wrote:That falls under "no plans right now". Because ever includes right now.

If you want to get technical about it, "right now" does not include "ever," even if "ever" includes "right now." So "right now" tells us zero information about "ever."

You cannot say with 100% certainty that you will never own one of these consoles. That's why the option is "no plans right now" and not "no plans ever." Just like Sean Connery said, in regards to playing Bond again, "Never again." Which is why when he played Bond again after saying this they titled the movie Never Say Never Again. Which is interesting because I first thought of the title as Never Say "Never" Again, but it's actually Never Say "Never Again." Anyway, you'll never catch me discussing such semantics on an internet forum. Wait... What thread is this again?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exactly, predicting the future, especially the far future, is a great way to be hoisted with your own petard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.