Best exclusives per console still?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
Next-Gen

Re: Best exclusives per console still?

Post by opa »

I'd be curious to see someone's Genesis/MD list. It seems like the Genesis has had ports and compilations just about every year or so for the past twenty years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

So many of the DC’s best games are arcade ports, and the remainder were often ported to other systems. The only good, “true” DC exclusive I could think of was Seaman, but even that received a PS2 port in Japan. Accordingly, I can’t think of any DC games for this list!

opa wrote:I'd be curious to see someone's Genesis/MD list. It seems like the Genesis has had ports and compilations just about every year or so for the past twenty years.

This is true, but there are still a ton of first- and third-party games that never made it off the system. Moreover, the system has an extensive library, and I suspect I could come up with a lengthy list of solid exclusives.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Toy Commander is a true DC exclusive, but there are a few others.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

the DC was basically completely mined of its best titles at least 3-4 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50890
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I was just thinking about that thread......

We'll always have Napple Tale.......
BomberDino
8-bit

Post by BomberDino »

I feel games that did a good job integrating the VMU can still count as somewhat exclusive. I'm playing the GCN Sonic Adventures right now, and the GBA integration is still different from the VMU. For one, VMUs were a lot easier to carry around. But overall, it's similar, so maybe that's not a great example. I'm not up-to-date on the later ports. Maybe they send chao to an app on your iPhone for similar integration. I guess I just really liked VMUs.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BomberDino wrote:I feel games that did a good job integrating the VMU can still count as somewhat exclusive. I'm playing the GCN Sonic Adventures right now, and the GBA integration is still different from the VMU. For one, VMUs were a lot easier to carry around. But overall, it's similar, so maybe that's not a great example. I'm not up-to-date on the later ports. Maybe they send chao to an app on your iPhone for similar integration. I guess I just really liked VMUs.

True. I struggled with this too. The DC versions of some games have exclusive content, features, etc. (The DC version of Daytona USA has a lot of extra content, for example.) At what point do all of those extra features make the game an exclusive? (Is Daytona USA 2001 it’s own game? Or, is it just a really, really enhanced port?)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

There are still some Dreamcast exclusives that are worthwhile:
AeroWings 1
Armada
Blue Stinger
Bomberman Online
Cool Cool Toon
Flag to Flag
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Frame Grid
Iron Aces
Metropolis Street Racer
Sega sports series 2k and 2k1
Ooga Booga
Pen Pen TriIcelon
POD2
Planet Ring
Record of Lodoss War
Sega Swirl
Super Magnetic Neo
Timestalker
Toy Commander
Toy Racer
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Maybe this is controversial but Carrier on DC doesn't entirely suck for a clunky horror title.
postulio

Post by postulio »

This is an interesting idea. I've been thinking about this a bit in the past but came to the conclusion that since all the Digital re-releases are just emulation and essentially a purchase of nothing more than a license, then they shouldn't count because emulation is emulation and I could do that and so much more (and for longer) without having to rely on official channels.

I can get every cartridge game ever to work on any off the shelf xbox... does that count? why not? because it's not official? I would argue that the copyright standing of a game is not relevant in the fact that it works on other consoles.

considering you can play pretty much every game up to and including the sixth console generation on your smartphone, "exclusivity" is already irrelevant. People want those original games because they're *original*. not because they can't play them in any other way.

Once you exclude official emulation digital marketplaces like PSN, VC and even the NES/SNES apps on the Switch from counting towards this list, you're pretty much back where you started.

You can do what you want, but it just feels like a wasted effort.

The releases I *would* count as exclusivity shattering are either native ports or updates. So the Final Fantasy Chronicles/Anthology/Origins for PSX, Chrono Trigger for DS, Ikaruga on the Gamecube, Mario 3D All-Stars and even the Collection of Mana for Switch