Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

Post by CFFJR »

That's the real difficulty with this challenge. Staying on track and not playing too many other games.

I haven't touched my summer list since finishing Aria of Sorrow. However I have been playing a shit ton of Doom.

So at least my lack of progress has been fun.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm still pushing on through the seemingly endless Fire Emblem 4. I spent 2 mammoth sessions this week (5-7 hours a piece...) and managed to finish 2 more chapters. There's only 1 left, but it looks enormous, so I think I'm still in for the long haul.

To be honest, although I have enjoyed my time with the game, I'm ready for it to be done now. One more big push!

Turok will be the order of the day after that - it's taken a back seat currently to the push to finish Fire Emblem. Not sure what will follow next, but I am feeling ready for Command & Conquer Red Alert, so that is a distinct possibility.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

A slightly overdue update!

1. Castlevania III (NES)
2. Probotector (NES)
3. Gate of Thunder (PCE)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
5. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SFC)
6. Pilotwings (SNES)
7. Super Tennis (SNES)
8. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
9. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

So, a couple of weeks back I pushed through and finally finished Fire Emblem 4. Despite howlongtobeat estimating the game to take about 40 hours, my final time was almost double that, with the game telling my it took me 73 hours to finish - not including any time I reset the game etc. It was a long haul for sure.

I'll some up thoughts in my eventiual review in the games beaten post, but I liked it overall. The ideas if has are interesting, although unlike most I don't think they all hit perfectly, and it's not my favourite in the series. Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Having finally taken down that never-ending game, I finally sat down and refocused myself on Turok. In the last week I've cleared 4 more levels, picking up on level 3 and working through to the end of level 6.

Level 3 and 4 were very frustrating, featuring altogether too much instant death platforming for my taste. The level 3 boss was also crazy hard, despite being the first in the game. The best I could do was finishing the encounter having only lost 3 of my 4 lives after many attempts at the boss (and Turok has game overs, so being low on lives isn't fun).

However, levels 5 and 6 felt much more like what I would expect - whilst they were challenging, the difficulty came from tough enemies and not from lots of instant death pitfalls. Stage 5 featured the second boss of the game who was an absolute pushover compared to the first. I've heard people say that the 3rd boss is by far the hardest, and so far that rings true for me.

I expect I'll work through the games 2 remaining levels this week. I've amassed about 8 lives now so I'm not too worried about dying a few times as I work through them.

After Turok, I'll need to start up something new. I'm currently torn between sitting down with Command & Conquer or with Final Fantasy, so I guess we'll find out when I get there :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:So, a couple of weeks back I pushed through and finally finished Fire Emblem 4. Despite howlongtobeat estimating the game to take about 40 hours, my final time was almost double that, with the game telling my it took me 73 hours to finish - not including any time I reset the game etc. It was a long haul for sure.

How did this happen? Are PAL TVs still running games at 50 Hz??
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
alienjesus wrote:So, a couple of weeks back I pushed through and finally finished Fire Emblem 4. Despite howlongtobeat estimating the game to take about 40 hours, my final time was almost double that, with the game telling my it took me 73 hours to finish - not including any time I reset the game etc. It was a long haul for sure.

How did this happen? Are PAL TVs still running games at 50 Hz??

Nope. I know you could go faster than I did, but i can’t imagine the average person played this game twice as fast as me :(
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Just got metroid prime trilogy on the wii so I may replace playing metroid prime 3 with playing the wii version of the original metroid prime
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m still chugging through Silent Hill. It’s a good survival horror game, and I need to spend more time with it. (I took only my Switch on vacation a few weeks ago, and I didn’t want to go back to Silent Hill until I had beaten all of the games I started while I was out of town.) I worked my way through the hospital and sewers, and I’m on my way to the amusement park now. Accordingly, I think I’m getting pretty close. The game has gotten a little more difficult too, which is nice, and the atmosphere is top-notch. It really does a lot of things right, and I’m looking forward to writing more about it when I finish it up.
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m still chugging through Silent Hill. It’s a good survival horror game, and I need to spend more time with it. (I took only my Switch on vacation a few weeks ago, and I didn’t want to go back to Silent Hill until I had beaten all of the games I started while I was out of town.) I worked my way through the hospital and sewers, and I’m on my way to the amusement park now. Accordingly, I think I’m getting pretty close. The game has gotten a little more difficult too, which is nice, and the atmosphere is top-notch. It really does a lot of things right, and I’m looking forward to writing more about it when I finish it up.

And I'm looking forward to reading your review and judging you accordingly.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. Castlevania III (NES)
2. Probotector (NES)
3. Gate of Thunder (TG16)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
5. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SFC)
6. Pilotwings (SNES)
7. Super Tennis (SNES)

8. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
9. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

I finished up Turok on N64 on Thursday this week. It's a game I find it hard to judge my experience with - there were definitely some very frustrating moments, generally around the game's overreliance on platforming over instant death pits in first person, but I definitely didn't hate it either. The difficulty curve is a bit wonky and the later levels are some of the easier ones overall (less platforming, more weapons and health pickups), but I still found the core shooting and exploration fairly enjoyable.

Starting up my 6th game today with Final Fantasy VI.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Oh boy...Streets of Rage 3 is bad. Like, really bad. The graphics are worse; the music isn’t as good; the stages are way too long; the enemies are way too fast and take too many hits; weapons are now breakable; and the game is just way too hard. (The improved enemy AI might have been nice, but here it just piles on overwhelming difficulty. After handling Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2, we barely made it past the second level before running out of continues. No thanks.. I’ll save-state my way through it for content tourism purposes, but there’s no way I’m putting in the effort necessary for a legit run of this bad game.