Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

by CFFJR Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm

alienjesus wrote:I always thought the difficulty of Lightning Lookout was overrated personally. Koindozer Klash on the other hand, that is hell, especially when you lose Dixie and have to do it without the ability to slow your fall.

DKC3 is by far my favourite though. I've pointed it out before, but people tend to call DKC3 gimmicky and Super Mario 3D World innovative and creative - but they generally both work on the same principle - one and done level ideas that mix up the gameplay in an interesting way.

DKC3 is my probably my favourite traditional 2D platformer and a contender for my favourite game on the system.

That's fine, though I genuinely thought the level in question was challenging. I also misunderstood the way to avoid the lightning thanks to a couple of coincidences, so it could be that I'm just dumb. As for Koindozer Klash, let me put it this way. While I lost many lives on Lightning Lookout, Koindozer Klash was the only level in the game that actually pissed me off.

I'm certainly not trying to dump on the game with bandwagon criticism. I like a lot of the gimmicks (Konveyor Rope Klash was really fun, for example), and DKC2 does it as well, as has been pointed out. There's nothing wrong with that sort of design. I just don't think all of them are actually fun in practice. Hell, there are obnoxious levels in Super Mario 3d World as well. Mario definitely doesn't get a pass.

I'm glad DKC3 is your favorite though. I have no arguments, there's a lot to like.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:33 pm

I’m really enjoying DKC3 so far. I’m getting all the collectibles as I go this time, and I’m not that far into the game yet. It controls really well, though, and after so much time with DKC2, I’m used to the platforming. I’ll be sure to post some more thoughts once I finish it up.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:59 pm

CFFJR wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I always thought the difficulty of Lightning Lookout was overrated personally. Koindozer Klash on the other hand, that is hell, especially when you lose Dixie and have to do it without the ability to slow your fall.

DKC3 is by far my favourite though. I've pointed it out before, but people tend to call DKC3 gimmicky and Super Mario 3D World innovative and creative - but they generally both work on the same principle - one and done level ideas that mix up the gameplay in an interesting way.

DKC3 is my probably my favourite traditional 2D platformer and a contender for my favourite game on the system.

That's fine, though I genuinely thought the level in question was challenging. I also misunderstood the way to avoid the lightning thanks to a couple of coincidences, so it could be that I'm just dumb. As for Koindozer Klash, let me put it this way. While I lost many lives on Lightning Lookout, Koindozer Klash was the only level in the game that actually pissed me off.

I'm certainly not trying to dump on the game with bandwagon criticism. I like a lot of the gimmicks (Konveyor Rope Klash was really fun, for example), and DKC2 does it as well, as has been pointed out. There's nothing wrong with that sort of design. I just don't think all of them are actually fun in practice. Hell, there are obnoxious levels in Super Mario 3d World as well. Mario definitely doesn't get a pass.

I'm glad DKC3 is your favorite though. I have no arguments, there's a lot to like.

Sorry, I didn't mean to undermine your experience with the game! I've been playing DKC3 since I was a kid, so some stages are perhaps second nature to me that aren't so intuitive when you first play. Koindozer Klash still sucks years later though :lol:

I'm making slow progress on Fire Emblem 4. Still on chapter 7 - it's hard to commit to long sessions of the game on work days, even whilst I'm working from home. Still, I'm starting to get into it more than I was when I began, so I'm hoping to take some of that momentum into the weekend and take out a significant chunk more of the game.

My goal for June is to finish at least 3, maybe even 4 games from my remaining list. Fire Emblem and Turok will be the first 2 - I'm thinking maybe Red Alert and/or Probotector after that!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

alienjesus wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to undermine your experience with the game! I've been playing DKC3 since I was a kid, so some stages are perhaps second nature to me that aren't so intuitive when you first play. Koindozer Klash still sucks years later though :lol:

Oh, no you're fine dude, I didn't take it that way! Just speaking from a "it really did happen" stance. I've had a similar experience when people talk about other games.

As for the latter point, I believe it! I watched a speedrun of the game yesterday and the runner died in that level. Not doing anything flashy or important to the run, just legitimately got bounced by a koindozer. It's just painful.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 pm

I’m still playing through DKC3, and I like it a lot. I think it is designed even better than DKC2. Aesthetically, though, it seems more like a Rare game than a DKC game.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am

Ok, I'm in this year. I usually don't have much time to play but here is my list... even if it is only a wish list:
1. Phantasy Star - SMS
2. Shante - Risky's Revenge - DSI on 3DS
3. Capcom's Willow - MAME
4. Magic Knight Rayearth - SAT
5. X-Men 2: Clone Wars - GEN

I am currently slowly playing through Popful Mail and FF9... so those may cut into the time... I suck at this. Unless I get hooked on a game, I do not usually have time to keep complete focus to beat it. The only games I have beat this year so far is Albert Odyssey and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:00 am

I LOVE the Willow arcade game. It's challenging but not impossible. And it looks and sounds great.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Seconded on the Willow arcade game, used to play that all the time when I was a kid, I beat it for the first time about 2 years ago on MAME.

X-men 2: clone wars is a great game, look up the 99 life code before you start, it will make the game much more enjoyable
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:49 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Here’s my list:

Donkey Kong Country*
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

King’s Field
Metal Gear (NES)
Silent Hill
Streets of Rage*
Streets of Rage 2*
Streets of Rage 3
Super Baseball 2020

Four down!

It took me almost eight and a half hours to get 103% in DKC3, which was a little longer than I was planning on spending with the game. It’s a really solid platformer, however, and I think it plays even better than DKC2. The levels are also better designed, and from a pure gameplay perspective, I think DKC3 is probably Rare’s best work on the SNES. As I mentioned earlier, the whole thing feels a bit off-brand, though. Neither Donkey Kong nor Diddy Kong make an appearance; many of the enemy models are different; it is set in some sort of European resort town; none of the music from DKC or DKC2 is in the game, etc. (Aesthetically, the game seems more like Banjo Kazooie than DKC3.) Accordingly, while I think DKC3 is probably the better game, DKC2 is probably my favorite game in the SNES DKC trilogy.

I’ll probably do a PS1 game next. What should it be? King’s Field or Silent Hill?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm

First, congrats on finishing off DK.

Second, Silent Hill, Silent Hill!
Return to General Gaming