Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready!

Post by alienjesus »

So, I'm sure all you regulars know the drill by now, but for anyone new, or anyone who forgot:

The Racketboy Summer Games Challenge is an annual event started a solid decade ago now by SnickerD00dle, a member who has long since left the forums.

The premise is to choose 10 classic games - the type that often come up as must play, definitive games for a system, developer, or genre - that you've never beaten before, and to try and play through all 10 over the course of the summer.

'The summer' is whenever you deem it to be, most peoppe like to start sometime around the end of May or start of June, and play through to the start of September.

It's even more fun if you play along with other members, so consider choosing games others are playing too so you can share your thoughts.

Now, clearly April 13th is not the summer - it's only just part of spring. However, with us all locked up at home due to the omnipresent coronavirus, I figured that some of you might want to join me in making a head start this year. I plan to get going on May 1st if I can, so I'm going to start planning what to play now!
Last edited by alienjesus on Fri May 08, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - lets make plans

Post by alienjesus »

OK, so I've narrowed down a list of potential games to play from my backlog. This gets harder and harder to do each year as I beat more and more of the classics, so expect some slightly more 'cult' classic entries amongst the list.

Here's some ideas I had, inside the spoiler for length:

RPG:
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Mother 3 (GBA)
Grandia 2 (DC)
Suikoden (PS1)

Strategy:
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SFC)
Shining Force III (Saturn)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)

FPS:
Turok (N64)

Run and gun:
Probotector (NES)

Shmup:
Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
Super Star Soldier (PCE)
MUSHA (Wii VC)
R-Type (TG16)
Layer Section (Saturn)

Action adventure:
Crystalis (NES)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)

Platformer:
Rayman (Saturn)
Sonic Colours (Wii)
DKC Returns (Wii)
Shinobi (SMS)
Ninja Gaiden 3 (FC)
Castlevania 3 (Switch)

Fighting:
Samurai Shodown (3DO)

Party:
Mario Party 2 (N64)
Mario Party 3 (N64)

Flight Sim:
Pilotwings (SNES)
Wing Commander III (3DO)

Sports:
Super Tennis (SNES)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)

Horror:
Resident Evil 0 (PSN PS3)

Stealth:
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Other:
Star Control 2 (3DO)
Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)
Zone of the Enders (PS2)

And a first draft list - if you think anything does or doesn't belong here, let me know:

1. RPG - Final Fantasy VI
2. Strategy - Fire Emblem 4
3. Strategy - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
4. FPS - Turok
5. Run & Gun - Probotector
6. Shmup - Gate of Thunder
7. Platformer - Castlevania 3
8. Flight sim - Pilotwings
9. Sports - Super Tennis
10. Stealth - Metal Gear Solid 4

Reasoning:
1. I went with FF6 as I feel it's the most definitively classic of the RPG list, and I have a lot of RPGs to beat

2. I started Fire Emblem 4 last summer but didn't finish. This is unfinished business

3. I need to beat RPGs and Strategy games for my gaming goals this year, and this being a real time strategy will feel completely different to Fire Emblem

4. Something a bit different to the first 3, and the most 'classic' unfinished N64 game I own

5. Probotector is the PAL version of Contra, which is definitely highly regarded. Probably a must pick from my list.

6. This seems like one of the more manageable shmups I own, difficulty wise? It seems to be considered iconic for the platform it's on too, but willing to swap this if people disagree

7. Castlevania 3, like Probotector, is another definite classic that probably can't be justified not being included.

8. Pilotwings perhaps isn't one of Nintendo's biggest franchise, but as an early SNES title showing off Mode 7, I feel like this one is considered quite classic

9. Super Tennis is pretty popular here in the UK at least, but totally understand if people dispute this one. However, it's on the list as one of my oldest unbeaten game, as I've had this since I was a kid.

10. This one has made the list a few times but I've never got to it. It's fairly new I guess, but not that new. I've also beaten MGS 1-3 as part of the challenge, so it seems appropriate to play 4 for it as well.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

alienjesus wrote:1. RPG - Final Fantasy VI
2. Strategy - Fire Emblem 4
3. Strategy - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
4. FPS - Turok
5. Run & Gun - Probotector
6. Shmup - Gate of Thunder
7. Platformer - Castlevania 3
8. Flight sim - Pilotwings
9. Sports - Super Tennis
10. Stealth - Metal Gear Solid 4

I'd say all these are classics except Metal Gear Solid 4, but since you beat 1-3 this way, go for it. You definitely have a fine selection and should have a fun summer.

9. Super Tennis is pretty popular here in the UK at least, but totally understand if people dispute this one. However, it's on the list as one of my oldest unbeaten game, as I've had this since I was a kid.

There's a video out there when the SNES was debuting with two commentators who were trying out Super Tennis. As an acclaimed launch title, I'd say you're just fine calling this a classic, and there's no disputing Pilotwings is one either.

You're set.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

As a video game noob that just explores niche games this might be a great change of pace. It'll be interesting to make reviews of them too through the perspective of someone who doesn't have a nostalgic lens.

1. Super Mario World
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Super Metroid
5. Resident Evil
6. Fallout
7. Silent Hill 2
8. Shenmue
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Doom
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

PretentiousHipster wrote:As a video game noob that just explores niche games this might be a great change of pace. It'll be interesting to make reviews of them too through the perspective of someone who doesn't have a nostalgic lens.

1. Super Mario World
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Super Metroid
5. Resident Evil
6. Fallout
7. Silent Hill 2
8. Shenmue
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Doom

This is a pretty great list to be diving in with - lots of solid choices here!

I'd love to play some of these to completion for the first time again :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Yea I realized that with films like 10 years ago. Being a noob is fantastic because you have all the classics to look forward to.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

So which version of Resident Evil do you plan to play? The original or the remake?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I'd like to participate this summer too, but I'm gonna take a few days to put my list together. I've been going through games a bit faster than usual while stuck at home, so I may finish a few titles I'm thinking of before May comes around.

Look forward to seeing everyone's lists.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

CFFJR wrote:So which version of Resident Evil do you plan to play? The original or the remake?

The director's cut version on the ps1
marurun

Post by marurun »

Go hard-core originalist and play the Saturn version! ;)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.