SEQUELS to the Golden Age & second gen classics

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: SEQUELS to the Golden Age & second gen classics

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Pac Man 2’s not even a point and click adventure! It plays much more like Wonder Project J. Also, if I recall correctly, SNES ports of some of the Pac Man arcade games are contained within it. It is such a weird game. I always liked and respected it, but it’s not for everyone.

Also...1997 Frogger isn’t that bad. It has pretty simple gameplay, and I think, at the time, it got slammed for that. (What were people expecting from a Frogger game? A cinematic JRPG?). I think it has held up a lot better than some games of that generation that people loved at the time.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:What were people expecting from a Frogger game? A cinematic JRPG?

Please don't give Konami any ideas.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:What were people expecting from a Frogger game? A cinematic JRPG?

Please don't give Konami any ideas.

...now I kind of want this to happen. A low stakes JRPG where a frog teams up with several other woodland creatures, including a regal squirrel knight, a sneaky sewer rat, and a mystical magic-wielding chicken to make it past giant mechanized war machines and cross logs under attack from enormous lizard demons all to slay the Swamp Emperor, a vile and bloated toad, and bring peace to the realm.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Didn’t they kind of make those with some of the sixth generation Frogger games? Stuff like Helmet Chaos, etc.? I think they’re largely 3D platformers, but I think the concept is basically what you describe...
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

We actually almost got a Frogger JRPG. The story was originally much like what Ack had posted: a woodland frog takes up arms with his compatriots to fend off the giant spider from the dark boughs above. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints and a tight development schedule the developers' original vision got pushed aside to meet a deadline. They changed almost all of the characters, used a different lead artist, and scraped the story. The giant spider became some alien thing and the story got changed to follow the "teenagers save the world" trope. Oh, and they threw in time travel for the heck of it. Really lazy story-telling. But at least they kept the original frog knight.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great post.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:We actually almost got a Frogger JRPG. The story was originally much like what Ack had posted: a woodland frog takes up arms with his compatriots to fend off the giant spider from the dark boughs above. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints and a tight development schedule the developers' original vision got pushed aside to meet a deadline. They changed almost all of the characters, used a different lead artist, and scraped the story. The giant spider became some alien thing and the story got changed to follow the "teenagers save the world" trope. Oh, and they threw in time travel for the heck of it. Really lazy story-telling. But at least they kept the original frog knight.

bastard! I was going to tell the same joke (with way less panache!).
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Space Invaders had Genesis and PC Engine installments that no one talks about.

Space Invaders '91 for Genesis deserves more love than it gets. Its biggest flaw is that its essence is the same as the original Space Invaders, which can get old pretty quickly compared to more modern games. But that also gives it a charm, seeing Space Invaders updated with 16 bit graphics and some new gameplay changes which spice things up a little. It's hard to find, but it's worth picking up if you like Space Invaders and come across a cheap copy. (I spent too much on a Japanese copy because I was 100% unfamiliar with it and didn't know if it even got an American release.)

I also love Pac-Man 2; that game is just a crazy experience that is full of charm!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Space Invaders 1500 - The Invaders (Simple 1500 Series Vol. 73: Space Invaders) for PS1 has a 3D polygonal 3rd Person version of the game viewed from behind. Def. my favorite presentation of the game. It includes recreations of each classic arcade machine, 3D mode, Vs. Mode and Time Attack.
I also like Space Invaders 95 with it's cartoon graphics, cameos by characters from other Taito games and comical storyline. Much better than Space Invaders: The Original Game for TG16 CD with it's weird "girls mode".

Has anyone here played World's Largest Pac-Man or Tetris Giant? I really want to try them.

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but World's Biggest Pac-Man is really cool as anyone can make a level for people to play.

Oh yeah, also in 2017 Atari made Electromechanical Pong. It uses magnets and has cool lighting effects. If it wasn't for the price I'd have bought one as soon as I saw the videom
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage