Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I always liked large, detailed, and colorful 8-bit sprites. The dragon boss in Mega Man 2 impresses me to this day. :lol:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I always had a strange love of flat shaded and gouraud shaded polygons of early 3D games yet I tend to not like a lot of the early textured polygons unless it's kept simple and minimalist. I also like wireframe graphics but not as much. I blame MechWarrior 2.

I also absolutely love some of the detailed VGA artwork that a lot of DOS games used for cutscenes before FMV became all the rage. There's something so raw and crispy about it.

Stuff like this:

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yes. Great call on the flat-shaded polygons and wire-frame graphics. I still think Star Wars: The Arcade Game looks pretty awesome, and I feel the same way about Virtua Racing.
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

I love the 16-bit pixel sprites of the JRPG games. Just can't get enough of them
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I love that monochrome green translucent wireframe 3D that the 80's thought was going to be the standard with the holographic displays we never got in their imagined future. It's rare to see it anymore, but in the 90's it was a standard "this is the future" effect. Extra bonus if it is 240p viewed through a CRT, or it's got an imposed scanline filter. Big loss if it has any other effect. The screens were/are wired directly and there should never be any interference.
Even bigger bonus is the display is an x-y vector plotter and is portrayed realistically.
Off the top of my head:
PS1 Ghost in the Shell - Pre-mission breifings & night-vision mode
PS1 Simple 1500 series - The Invaders in 3D 3rd-person mode
Arcade game - Battle Zone (this was true vector - I never experienced it myself)

Huh, I don't have any others that I didn't force this by running games through RGB or s-video luminance while modifying the game output to achieve my desired effect.
I'll post pics soon, but now I really want some help identifying other games that have this...

I remember Final Fantasy VII enemies did this in terminator red translucent wireframe when killed - best death reward ever - full model display without shit texture.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Anapan wrote:I love that monochrome green translucent wireframe 3D that the 80's thought was going to be the standard with the holographic displays we never got in their imagined future. It's rare to see it anymore, but in the 90's it was a standard "this is the future" effect. Extra bonus if it is 240p viewed through a CRT, or it's got an imposed scanline filter. Big loss if it has any other effect. The screens were/are wired directly and there should never be any interference.
Even bigger bonus is the display is an x-y vector plotter and is portrayed realistically.
Off the top of my head:
PS1 Ghost in the Shell - Pre-mission breifings & night-vision mode
PS1 Simple 1500 series - The Invaders in 3D 3rd-person mode
Arcade game - Battle Zone (this was true vector - I never experienced it myself)

Huh, I don't have any others that I didn't force this by running games through RGB or s-video luminance while modifying the game output to achieve my desired effect.
I'll post pics soon, but now I really want some help identifying other games that have this...

I remember Final Fantasy VII enemies did this in terminator red translucent wireframe when killed - best death reward ever - full model display without shit texture.

I seem to recall playing a virtual boy demo in a Sears in 1995. There was a wireframe vector game called Red Alarm. Check it out. You might dig it.

Star Wars Arcade might be up your alley too.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Xeogred wrote:Image

Those are some delicious pixels!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

PresidentLeever wrote:

Hey, I never expected animated GIFs to come back into style, but here we are. :lol: