Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Hidden Gems: Multiplatform Games

by alienjesus Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:14 pm

I guess it depends what you want for 'multiplatform games'. Castle of Illusion on Master System isn't the same game as the Mega Drive one, it just has the same name. The stages are different, the gameplay is even a bit different - it's not just audio and visual changes. I'd say that in that case they're 2 different games, not one game on 2 consoles.

Same goes for Donkey Kong for Game Boy. It's not at all the same game as any other game named Donkey Kong on any other system. In fact, it's a Game Boy exclusive (barring it's 3DS Virtual Console port) so doesn't belong on this list at all imo.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

How about something like Turrican or the bit bros GODS which were like Amiga, DOS, SNES, Genesis and more?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:"Multiplatform" is kind of a vague term. I'd be inclined to shy away from modern stuff that appeared on really similar hardware (ie: the million games that were released on PS3/360/PC). Also, games that receive Steam, Android, whatever ports years after their release don't feel like true "multiplat" titles either.

The first thing that springs to mind are games like Ys III, The Lost Vikings, Dragon Knight III (Knights of Xentar), Emerald Dragon, Miracle Warriors, and Uncharted Waters (both of 'em).

Seconded on Lost Vikings, a good puzzler platform game on many older systems including Consoles, Portables and PC needs rediscovered.

racketboy wrote:Every now and then I come across a game that was released on a bunch of platforms -- sometimes it has a big license behind it, it was marketed well, but over time has been forgotten about, or it's an arcade port but it never gets mentioned on a lot of our guides because it's not an exclusive or its not high profile enough.

-----------------------

Just to clarify, can we make the Wii the absolute newest console we cover here?

Leaning towards both Quotes, need to draw a line on console year range to cover. The newest consoles have their own gems, but already overwhelming list to consider. I think based on Racketboy's OP statement of "Forgotten" multi platform hidden gems, this might not apply to newer consoles as drastically.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:36 am

Since you tossed out there Blackthorne, let's just go with the whole line-up of Blizzard Classics of that period -- Blackthorne, Rock N Roll Racing(SNES+Gen+GBA), the already addressed Diablo and Warcraft 2 Dark Saga. Blizzard used to be so amazing, shame it went south with them, but at least the core team that quit who did D1+2 went and made two wicked Torchlight games.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 am

alienjesus wrote:I guess it depends what you want for 'multiplatform games'. Castle of Illusion on Master System isn't the same game as the Mega Drive one, it just has the same name. The stages are different, the gameplay is even a bit different - it's not just audio and visual changes. I'd say that in that case they're 2 different games, not one game on 2 consoles.

Same goes for Donkey Kong for Game Boy. It's not at all the same game as any other game named Donkey Kong on any other system. In fact, it's a Game Boy exclusive (barring it's 3DS Virtual Console port) so doesn't belong on this list at all imo.

I'd also say that neither is a "hidden gem". One is a huge Disney license and the other is part of one of the most well known franchises in all of gaming. With the rise of Youtube, the term "hidden gem" has become overused and watered down so it would be useful to either redefine it for this list or try to stick to it's original meaning. The old articles on Racketboy used to genuinely help me discover games I'd never heard of, it would be nice if this one could do the same. Even millennial retro hipsters have surely heard all about Donkey Kong '94 by now.

Anyway, back to the topic, another one that sprung to mind:

SWIV Fun 2 player shmup where you control a helicopter or a jeep for a different gameplay experience. I believe it came out on the Amiga first and was then ported to the other home computers (Atari ST, C64, spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Acorn) and was then remade as Super SWIV and Mega SWIV to the SNES/Genesis. (It was also called Firepower 2000 in the USA.) There's also a GBC port so a lot to discuss...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

Notable franchise or not, if the game is on a more unexpected platform for one reason or another and it flew under a lot of peoples radar I think it still would be a hidden gem if it's not showing up on everyone's fan lists of greats on a system. That's why I had earlier tossed in awhile back Diablo and WC2 on PS1. They don't get noted really or talked about, yet they're straight up solid if not improved(D1 gamepad play) games that flew under the radar as most just did it already or had it on PC in the first place.
Return to General Gaming