Hidden Gems: Multiplatform Games

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Hidden Gems: Multiplatform Games

Post by racketboy »

Every now and then I come across a game that was released on a bunch of platforms -- sometimes it has a big license behind it, it was marketed well, but over time has been forgotten about, or it's an arcade port but it never gets mentioned on a lot of our guides because it's not an exclusive or its not high profile enough.

These are the best examples, but some that came to my mind recently are:
Ms. Pac Man Maze Madness
Mr. Driller
Time Splitters 2
Super Baseball 2020
King of Monsters

There's some like Re-Volt that was really good on the Dreamcast, but I've heard the N64 version wasn't very good. We should make note of those cases.

Anyway, I hope you get the idea.... let me know what comes to mind for you!
Please try to aim for older stuff -- Wii being the absolute newest. I'd like to even avoid 360 and PS3 for now.

Also, for what it's worth, these could be handy for Together Retro as we try to shoot for games that are accessible on different platforms.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Hidden Gems: Multiplatform Games

Post by strangenova »

First game that came to mind was Wing Commander. Seems like that game was on every system in the nineties.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

What about Road Blasters? One of my favorite arcade games, but the console ports kinda got overlooked.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Both the PS1 and Saturn got fantastic ports of Warcraft II with the addon console titled as WC2 The Dark Saga. They look, sound, and play as nice as the original minus the mouse.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I will do some more modern stuff since I know this thread will be loaded with older stuff.

Soldner X-2 final Prototype'
Earth's Dawn
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Ghost Blade/HD
Asterbreed
Code of Princess
The World Ends With You
EX Troopers
RiME
Yakuza 0
Caladrius Blaze
Lego City Undercover
Pokken
Gunhound EX
Binary Domain
Kingdoms of Amular
Asuras Wrath
Wild Guns Reloaded
Assault Suit Leynos
Conan (2007)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

"Multiplatform" is kind of a vague term. I'd be inclined to shy away from modern stuff that appeared on really similar hardware (ie: the million games that were released on PS3/360/PC). Also, games that receive Steam, Android, whatever ports years after their release don't feel like true "multiplat" titles either.

The first thing that springs to mind are games like Ys III, The Lost Vikings, Dragon Knight III (Knights of Xentar), Emerald Dragon, Miracle Warriors, and Uncharted Waters (both of 'em).

I'm kinda biased towards RPGs though. Kind of.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You maybe biased, but it's valid. Back then it was more of a concerted effort and time sink to converting games to more than one platform, especially those that had nothing in common with the others. Since the N64-PS/GC-PS2 era a large amount of assets and the code included was largely capable of just being dumped and reused with realistically minimal effort compared to the earlier era. All those older competing console, handhelds, and computers had all sorts of competing resolutions, visual and audio capabilities, varying amounts/types of different RAM, and so forth. You couldn't just using yours lift a game like Ys III from the TG16 CD format and throw that on the Famicom or the Genesis and think any of that package could be re-used other than the base mechanics of design. Now in the later 90s and after stuff you could shave off lots of money and man hours reusing assets so there's little to marvel over with a hidden mass market ported 'gem' between them.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I just finished a game called stardust galaxy warriors which is on ps4, xbone, and pc. Game is not well known but is one of the most fun schmups I have ever played. Definitely worth a look for fans of the genre and does not get the attention it deserves.
Brendand
8-bit

Post by Brendand »

Freedom Fighters PC/GC/PS2/XBOX
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Just to clarifiy, can we make the Wii the absolute newest console we cover here?