Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The GBC port of DQIII is just phenomenal. You really must play it sometime.

Oh I plan to. But it's the SFC version for me. That's the casual choice.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The GBC port of DQIII is just phenomenal. You really must play it sometime.

Oh I plan to. But it's the SFC version for me. That's the casual choice.

That version is prettier...and it is missing an ultra-difficult bonus dungeon exclusive to the GBC port (which I still didn't unlock after spending dozens of hours with the game)...so...you are probably right. :wink:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've been really into 8-bit console RPGs lately. It's quite the trip. I think so many are overlooked these days in favor of the 16-bit stuff.

Fun fact: every NES/Famicom RPG has a walkthrough on GameFAQs, with one exception (Momotarou Densetsu Gaiden).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:That version is prettier...and it is missing an ultra-difficult bonus dungeon exclusive to the GBC port (which I still didn't unlock after spending dozens of hours with the game)...so...you are probably right. :wink:

I read somewhere that the bonus dungeon requires having all the hidden medals in order to access it... that doesn't sound like much fun, tracking all those down.

The GBC version is still casual compared to the NES version by a mile.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:That version is prettier...and it is missing an ultra-difficult bonus dungeon exclusive to the GBC port (which I still didn't unlock after spending dozens of hours with the game)...so...you are probably right. :wink:

I read somewhere that the bonus dungeon requires having all the hidden medals in order to access it... that doesn't sound like much fun, tracking all those down.

That is true. Unlocking the monster medal dungeon in the GBV version is a tremendous time-consuming pain (which is why I didn't do it). The other bonus dungeon - which is available in both the SFC and GBC versions - is absent in the NES release, however...and that dungeon really kicks the challenge into high gear. (After defeating the last boss in the main campaign, I thought my party was pretty strong and well-developed. It was wiped out by the second random encounter in the bonus dungeon, however. :lol: )
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(After defeating the last boss in the main campaign, I thought my party was pretty strong and well-developed. It was wiped out by the second random encounter in the bonus dungeon, however.)

That sounds like my experience after beating Etrian Odyssey and stepping foot into its post-game Claret Hollows stratum.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:(After defeating the last boss in the main campaign, I thought my party was pretty strong and well-developed. It was wiped out by the second random encounter in the bonus dungeon, however.)

That sounds like my experience after beating Etrian Odyssey and stepping foot into its post-game Claret Hollows stratum.

Bwahahahaha! And you didn't even get to the room with the maze of invisible holes that drop you into a floor that's nearly entirely damage squares.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:And you didn't even get to the room with the maze of invisible holes that drop you into a floor that's nearly entirely damage squares.

That sounds like something right outta Brandish.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:And you didn't even get to the room with the maze of invisible holes that drop you into a floor that's nearly entirely damage squares.

That sounds like something right outta Brandish.

That was my immediate thought as well. (And no, I haven't forgotten about Dela mode yet! Figure I'm going to take Phantasy Star out either tonight or tomorrow.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Dela Mode is so worth doing, you won't regret it!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.