Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jamesbuc

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by jamesbuc »

Exhuminator wrote:
jamesbuc wrote:Never heard of that one, giving a look confirms what I thought, its one title that didn't make it over to Europe.

If it makes you feel better, Maken Shao: Demon Sword (PS2) didn't come to the USA. I had to import my copy from the UK a few years back.

Oh :shock: Usually its the other way around with titles like that. Theres only a small handful I can think of that made it to Europe and not USA (sadly mostly awful titles like the Altered Beast Ps2 Remake...)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

jamesbuc wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
jamesbuc wrote:Never heard of that one, giving a look confirms what I thought, its one title that didn't make it over to Europe.

If it makes you feel better, Maken Shao: Demon Sword (PS2) didn't come to the USA. I had to import my copy from the UK a few years back.

Oh :shock: Usually its the other way around with titles like that. Theres only a small handful I can think of that made it to Europe and not USA (sadly mostly awful titles like the Altered Beast Ps2 Remake...)

The Wii had a few. Fatal Frame 2 and Day of Crisis are the two that I usually think of immediately.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The best PAL only Wii game:

I loved it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm glad you clarified that with Wii game, because Terranigma is the best PAL only game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (DS)
2. The Order 1886 (PS4)
3. Fallout 4 (PC)

Big fan of the Bethesda Fallout games and this is another solid entry. Finally finished the campaign after finishing the majority of the side quests. All in all I've spent 81 hours in this play through and there is still plenty of places left to explore as well as a few unique missions and a near endless supply of generic defense and/or fetch quests for each faction. Overall the game play is somewhat improved over the 3 & NV and there is a nice new set of crafting(weapons, bases, armor, and etc.) this time around.

The crafting is pretty simple and there are a large variety of weapons, structures, armor, meds, and food that you can make. Thanks to a new scrap system getting you finally have a reason for picking up all those random junk items that are scattered about since just about everything can now be broken down into useful resources plus all your settlements have an interconnected workshop(once you setup supply routes) so getting rid of the excess weight of your junk is as easy as hitting a single button at your work bench. The base building is also pretty interesting but they put some god awful limitations on how you can place objects and unless you are building on a perfectly flat piece of land the game can get pretty anal about how you lay things out plus a lot of objects have clipping issues which makes it nearly impossible to make a perfect fence or building without leaving gaps. On the PC this can be fixed by one of the many many mods available in the workshop, but really it feels like Bethesda should have polished this up a bit more. That being said upgrading your base is pretty pointless as the amount of revenue in scrap and money they generate isn't very significant and they hardly ever get attacked by anything that a stationary turret or two can't handle.

As with most of the Fallout games the main quest is kind of lame there are some interesting moments, but overall it's way to dragged out and the finale wasn't all that impressive to me. The side quests however are as good as they've ever been and the world is really dense this time around with an actually somewhat believable open city with 1-2 unique locations on each city block. I've also heard the some of the companions have pretty interesting stories, but I mostly stuck to dog meat due to a perk called loan wanderer which buffed your carry weight and damage as long as you didn't drag around any human companions.

As for difficulty the game is really really easy especially if you use power armor. If you follow the main quest line you are in power armor with a minigun within your first 2 hours of play. The power armor makes you a literal walking tank this time around as well although you have to keep it powered with fuel cells but they are pretty abundant if you explore thoroughly you can also get out of your suit at any time to conserve energy it's no longer apparel but a suit you have to climb in and out of. Aside from the suit making things really easy ammo is also pretty abundant although there are a lot of different guns think I ended up carrying around 10-15 weapons so that I could have one for each ammo type so I could avoid overusing any particular type. One interesting choice this time around is weapons/armor don't degrade with use the only object you have to worry about repairing is power armor.

Overall I highly recommend the game it can easily be found for $30-40 on sale and there is plenty of content to make that investment worth your while.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Both Another Code: R and Terranigma are great. I'd take the latter, but the former was good times.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Wii U - January 3
2. Fallout 4 - Xbox One - January 20
3. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 3 - January 29
4. Yakuza: Dead Souls - PlayStation 3 - February 5
5. Yakuza 5 - PlayStation 3 - February 27
6. The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - February 29

Two great games finished in two days.

Yakuza 5 I think was my favorite of the series. The storyline is something to what you'd expect from all of the previous games in the Yakuza franchise. The over-the-top action and humor. People wanting to pick fights in the middle of the street. Billions of Yen to be fought over. Vicious power struggles that emerge from the shadows. Plot twists on plot twists on plot twists. An epic showdown with people punching each other in the face.

Yakuza 5 does all of that and adds some flair by throwing Project Diva like gameplay through Haruka's character being playable in Yakuza 5. The songs are catchy, and I've always dreamed of being a J-Pop superstar. It was something beautiful. Anywho, you should download this one off the PSN store. It's digital only, but it's a glorious game.

8.5/10

The Last of Us is one of the best games I've played on PlayStation 3. Certainly Naughty Dog's best showing on the console. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and feel of this game, and I appreciated how it it made the zombie/post-apocalyptic genre fresh again for me. Its ending has left me conflicted and pondering on the human-nature side of things. It was a long and winding tale that I was able to finish in around 15-20 hours I think.

The only detraction I have towards the game is nitpicky. I was not a fan of some of the instant-kills from Clickers. I was also frustrated at points by the stunning of enemies with glasses and bricks. Sometimes I would throw something behind cover with the reticle on the enemy, only to be spotted or have the bottle smash into the wall. These sorts of things had me slightly frustrated and led to some tactics of trial and error. It could quite honestly be error on my behalf. That said, Last of Us is certainly a step up from the Uncharted Series, which I believe is just attributed to my burnout on third-person shooters. Other than that, this is one polished game that does not disappoint.

It's got tons of things going for it. Is it the game of this Generation? I'm not entirely sure, but it's certainly one of the best games on the PS3 that I've played. Its story, character development, gorgeous graphics, acting, and polished gameplay made this an outstanding game for me.

9.8/10
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I just finished Saints Row 2, courtesy of a lovely stomach virus that gave me an unexpected day off.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I just finished Saints Row 2, courtesy of a lovely stomach virus that gave me an unexpected day off.

And STOP with that one. It's the best one.

They try to go full on Crackdown mode with 3/4 and it just got too silly for me to care by that point. Also laugh how the map for 3 is like 1/4th the size of 2.

SR2 is the best spiritual successor to Vice City and San Andreas, and better than GTA4-5 in my book.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Saints Row 3 is my favorite it's just such a great experience if you can find somebody to play it in Co-op with. It just has so many bonding moments for bros :lol: . Didn't really care much for SR4 though still a fun co-op experience but the super powers really break the game and everything becomes so focused on scifi that it really ruins the overall vibe of the series. Honestly the super human DLC expansion in 3 was a much better experience then SR4 in it's entirety. They also completely painted the series into a corner thanks to the events in 4 so going back from the scifi/supernatural elements is impossible without a reboot.