Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Deadly Premonition:The Director's Cut

The really damning thing about that game is that the Greenvale Raincoat Killer's license plate tells you who it actually is right off the start.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:1. The Match Of The Millennium (NGPC)
2. Pocket Tennis Color (NGPC)

I'm calling this game "beaten," though far from done. See there's trophies you win from various tournaments. There's three of them that you can get at any time. These are the main trophies - and I've won these. But there's apparently in the neighborhood of 19 trophies total. The problem is that many of the tournaments are only available to compete in on specific DAYS of the year. For instance holidays or within certain months or milestones on the calendar. This means that you either have to wait it out or change the clock in your NGPC system. At any rate, the default three are accomplished so the "main game" is beat.

That said, I'll be playing more and aiming for further trophies. It's really a fantastic little tennis game. It took me quite a few rounds to understand strategy and when to try to slam the ball and when to just play defensively and avoid hitting into the net. I've even unlocked one of two (or more?) hidden characters - a friggin' amoeba. Seriously, I'm playing a tournament and everything seems normal and suddenly I'm facing off against an amoeba. I beat him and now he's in my roster. Unfortunately he's terrible.

And that's what's cool - for a "simple" tennis game, there's a lot of interesting stuff hidden here. Each character is unique. The courts are varied though basically the same outside of visuals. I appreciate the day/night cycle though. It's a neat touch. I'd recommend this game to any fans of Virtua Tennis or similar arcade style tennis games.

Admittedly when I went through this, I took the system clock approach. I'm also one of the only people I know who took the time to unlock all of the trophies and characters in the game... Love me some Pocket Color Tennis.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:Admittedly when I went through this, I took the system clock approach. I'm also one of the only people I know who took the time to unlock all of the trophies and characters in the game... Love me some Pocket Color Tennis.

haha yeah - we both know that you and I tackle achievements very differently. That said, I probably WILL be doing some clock finagling for more trophies. Am I correct that there are 19 total? Or crap - it's probably 20 huh? You probably fill that full shelf up and it's 4x5?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:Operation C is a surprisingly competent Contra game, given the limitations of the GB.

I love Operation C, and I think it is one of the best GB games. I also love that WayForward brought back the villain from that game (i.e., Black Viper) for the next portable installment in the series, Contra IV. The reference was nice fan-service to all five or six of Operation C's defenders (myself included). :lol:

Exhuminator wrote:2. King's Field III: Pilot Style / PS1 / 1996 / EXR: 9/10

So...Is that it? can you play Demon's Souls now? :lol:
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Admittedly when I went through this, I took the system clock approach. I'm also one of the only people I know who took the time to unlock all of the trophies and characters in the game... Love me some Pocket Color Tennis.

haha yeah - we both know that you and I tackle achievements very differently. That said, I probably WILL be doing some clock finagling for more trophies. Am I correct that there are 19 total? Or crap - it's probably 20 huh? You probably fill that full shelf up and it's 4x5?

I'm helping you out, man:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=878035#p878035
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:So...Is that it? can you play Demon's Souls now? :lol:

No sir, 'fraid not. Still gotta finish King's Field III, Shadow Tower, and Shadow Tower Abyss. I plan to knock 'em all out this year if my gusto holds up. After those, that'll be it, I will have beaten every From Software first person dungeon crawler there is. Then I'll feel worthy enough to move on to their third person modern dungeon crawlers.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, that's perfect. I'm far too lazy to research on my own. But if you give me a cheat sheet like this, then it's on.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:

No sir, 'fraid not. Still gotta finish King's Field III, Shadow Tower, and Shadow Tower Abyss. I plan to knock 'em all out this year if my gusto holds up. After those, that'll be it, I will have beaten every From Software first person dungeon crawler there is. Then I'll feel worthy enough to move on to their third person modern dungeon crawlers.

After all that build up, I can't help but think that you'll be disappointed (or that you will be tired of the series' conventions like you are with LoZ). :lol: I recommend jumping into Demon's Souls right now so that you enjoy it more.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

After all that build up, I can't help but think that you'll be disappointed (or that you will be tired of the series' conventions like you are with LoZ). :lol: I recommend jumping into Demon's Souls right now so that you enjoy it more.

Just make sure you've got a pillow to bite; Demon's Souls goes in dry.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:

alright, that's perfect. I'm far too lazy to research on my own. But if you give me a cheat sheet like this, then it's on.

No worries, I figured that out on my own over the course of a month of heavy play and messing with the clock. Nobody else had that info at the time, and while I've submitted it to GameFAQS, I never heard anything back about it, so I'm guessing it got tossed out somehow.