Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Dela Mode is so worth doing, you won't regret it!

The game that's really worth playing is King's Field IV. Its fantastic design continues to impress me. I can't wait to get home and play it some more. :D
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:10 pm

1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)

I have been playing this one over breakfast for a while. It is a good looking, but very basic, platformer that reminded me a bit of LittleBigPlanet. It has a good touch control scheme, but the controls were too "floaty" and imprecise for my tastes. Moreover, the game offers a lot of content, but that content is not very diverse. (In other words, the backgrounds change, but the gameplay remains the same.) I enjoyed it for what it was - and my children enjoyed watching it - but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone who has played better games in the genre. (Also, and contrary to my usual practice, I do not think that I will be going back to it to earn a three-star ranking on each level now that I have completed it.) It goes on sale frequently, however, and if you are interested in it, you can probably download it for $1. Moreover, it is very well-reviewed; so, there is a chance that you will appreciate it more than I did.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:25 pm

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)

5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)

I beat Arkanoid: Doh It Again last night!

This is one of those games that I had forever and have vague memories of ever picking it up. However, I think the game is an under-rated gem. It is a great Arkanoid game with inventive levels, unique power-ups and even has 2 player co-op which is amazing!

It's a single screen puzzle game with 100 different levels and it gets repetitive after a while. Also, the bosses can be really cheap, but they aren't too hard and the game is rather forgiving. It's a fun little puzzler that I finally saw the credits for.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:08 pm

How in the world did I miss you beating Dragon Warrior III? Anyway, not that it wouldn't have been more than one of my "OMG I LOVE THAT GAME1!1!" in a hopefully more reserved fashion.

In other news, I love that game.

I agree that it's a pretty unguided experience a lot of the time, not unlike Phantasy Star. There are lots of hints scattered about, but after you get the boat, everything opens up wide. I do think the orb hunt is done better than the crests in Dragon Warrior II, and that the game overall is balanced a little better than that game... but you will have times where you have to stop and grind. It's not all grind like the first game, but it's there.

The game also came with an awesome Explorer's Handbook that was basically a walkthrough for the entire game. Awesome.

I still think the Dragon Quest battles are some of the more balanced in 8-bit RPGs. In some ways, the third game is the pinnacle because you get to retain control of all your characters as opposed to the AI (emphasis at times on the "artificial") in Dragon Warrior IV.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Dragon Quest IV consisted of giving Alena the dual attacking weapon and never taking the priest with Beat/Defeat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm

MrPopo wrote:Dragon Quest IV consisted of giving Alena the dual attacking weapon and never taking the priest with Beat/Defeat.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Cristo, man, what in the world are you doing trying to use Beat on the last boss? Like, seriously, dude.

Plus, Stiletto Earrings for life.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Alena is my gal pal for life.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Why wouldn't she be? She's so special that she gets her own critical attack formula! :D
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:29 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The game that's really worth playing is King's Field IV. Its fantastic design continues to impress me.

See folks? I'm not crazy after all.

So looking forward to that review.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:46 pm

Sarge wrote:How in the world did I miss you beating Dragon Warrior III? Anyway, not that it wouldn't have been more than one of my "OMG I LOVE THAT GAME1!1!" in a hopefully more reserved fashion.

In other news, I love that game.

I agree that it's a pretty unguided experience a lot of the time, not unlike Phantasy Star. There are lots of hints scattered about, but after you get the boat, everything opens up wide. I do think the orb hunt is done better than the crests in Dragon Warrior II, and that the game overall is balanced a little better than that game... but you will have times where you have to stop and grind. It's not all grind like the first game, but it's there.

The game also came with an awesome Explorer's Handbook that was basically a walkthrough for the entire game. Awesome.

I still think the Dragon Quest battles are some of the more balanced in 8-bit RPGs. In some ways, the third game is the pinnacle because you get to retain control of all your characters as opposed to the AI (emphasis at times on the "artificial") in Dragon Warrior IV.

Much like the original Dragon Warrior, I think I respected Dragon Warrior III then I actually enjoyed the nitty gritty of playing it. It paved the way for so many RPG's that it stands on a certain pedestal.

When it comes down to the actual journey, I think I preferred Dragon Warrior II. It just seemed more seamless. Yes, the AI could be annoying, but it wasn't too grating. They seemed at least able to not do anything too stupid. Dragon Warrior II has a nice gradual curve while III had a much steeper curve.

I think Dragon Warrior III is the better game. However, I think I might like Dragon Warrior II better.

I am very excited to play Dragon Warrior IV. I do own the NES cartridge, so it is just waiting to be played. However, I need a Dragon Warrior break. I'm not ready for that style of game after playing it for almost 8 months. I own V & VI as well, after that, my Dragon Quest...quest will be done. I would have played every one from 1 - 8.
Return to General Gaming