Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES

I was in the zone tonight on this one. Super Star Wars is a game I used to rent as a kid, and I remember beating it with save states on my PC in high school, but this is the first time I beat it free and clear on my SNES. It feels good, but man, there's some nasty design choices in this game.

The weirdest thing about the game is the jump physics. All jumps are to a fixed height and if you are holding down the jump button when your feet touch a surface you immediately jump again. This goes against basically every instinct you have, and a few times it's gotten me into trouble. The other annoying thing is a couple of levels have a perspective applied to the surfaces, which makes it harder to figure out where the edge of a platform is. There's a slight delay between hitting jump and jumping, so I found myself falling off the edges of platforms due to missed timing. Most of the time this wasn't too bad, but there's a section at the end of the Sandcrawler where if you fall you hit instant death lava. And the respawn point in the Sandcrawler is incredibly difficult to recover from, so if you die there it's essentially a reset, as the game has no password system.

That's something to mention; the game has a system of powerups for your gun. Luke starts with the weakest gun, while Chewie and Han have the first powerup. There are three more levels beyond that, and each weapon has different properties. It can actually be more useful to stick with the seeker (3rd level) at times because of the utility, though the plasma (5th level) ends up having enough raw damage and a wide enough shot to overcome the homing. Luke also gets access to a lightsaber (midway through), which is a high damage weapon but you will take a lot of damage in the meantime. It's good for recovering from a death, though I found that Chewie's base shot combined with Chewie's huge health was enough to get me through until I could get power ups.

This game also loves to use Mode 7. There are two sections of riding around the landspeeder and then a section attacking turrets and TIEs on the Death Star at the end. All of these parts are terrible. The first two consist of moving forward, waiting for a Jawa on the horizon, stop moving forward, and shoot them. If you're moving forward while firing you shoot the ground. After killing a requisite number of Jawas you then just have to head to the structure in the background. The X-Wing part involves needing to kill a number of turrets and TIEs, but you have no time to react so you're better off just mashing left and right furiously while holding down fire. This Mode 7 stuff comes back in the rest of the series, unfortunately.

Interestingly the most dangerous hazards you run into are stage hazards. Spiked pits, exploding bombs, shrapnel from destroyed robots, they all do a lot of damage. By comparison the actual enemies don't do much damage AND they all drop hearts to keep you topped off. The biggest danger enemies can present is pushing you into the stage hazards, with the Death Star Docking Bay being the most notable example (a pit every so often that you barely have enough room to jump over and certain sections have random stormtroopers who drop in from above).

I beat Super Return of the Jedi when I was younger, so now I just have Empire on my list to finish.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

MrPopo wrote:55. Super Star Wars - SNES

Hey, as I recall that's my old copy!

I never liked that game enough to try to beat it. Anytime I played it I got annoyed pretty damn quick. Way to kill it Popo. I'm glad you took it down. :)
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

CFFJR wrote:
MrPopo wrote:55. Super Star Wars - SNES

Hey, as I recall that's my old copy!

I never liked that game enough to try to beat it. Anytime I played it I got annoyed pretty damn quick. Way to kill it Popo. I'm glad you took it down. :)

Yeah, the game throws some major annoyance at you very quick. Stage one is vanilla, stage two is a dumb mode 7 stage, stage three is the annoyance of climbing the outside of the sandcrawler and stage four is the hell that is inside the sandcrawler. The game takes a noticeable nosedive in difficulty after that point.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)
32. Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta(DLC)(PC)
33. Fallout 3: Point Lookout(DLC)(PC)
34. Dying Light(Xbox One)
35. Sunset Overdrive(Xbox One)

Sunset Overdrive is a really great game probably the best Xbox One exclusive I have played so far not counting compilations. The movement style, guns, and powers remind me a lot of Infamous just with a much heavier focus on movement and a lot more upgrades/customization which is great. The games humor is also top notch with plenty of cheesy movie references and fourth wall breaking. The only downside to the game is it is insanely easy and dying is actually fun since it hardly sets you back much and there are a variety of humorous respawn animations such as the Terminator time travel orb, alien abduction, Dr. Who Phone Booth, and etc. The multiplayer co-op is also really enjoyable and keeps things interesting post game with a nice competitive score system and variety of challenges.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)
20. Lego Jurassic Park (PC)
21. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (PC)
22. Cities Skylines (PC)
23. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)

The expansion to Pre-Sequel was a heck of a lot of fun. It added another ~6 hrs to the game, had some very cool visuals and funny writing. It's not Tiny Tina's... but not much is. But it was def great and I'd recommend it. I actually thought that the ending to this one made for a cooler segue into BL2 than the base game did.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack drones on fire off the shores of a memory. I watched pixels glittering in the darkness. All those moments...lost...like Claptrap in a sea of dead CL4P-TP units.

It's too bad he lives.

Claptastic Voyage is a fusion of Fantastic Voyage and Tron in an attempt to explain why Claptrap is the last of his kind and the way he is, but with seriously fewer cat photos and disco balls than I was expecting. It fits surprisingly well with things, despite not being completely as goofy as I was expecting...though it was still goofy. Painting MINAC bright pink and converting her cannon into a bubble-blower was certainly memorable.

In terms of gameplay, its more of the same for Borderlands, though with some added oddities in the glitch weapons, which have an error code associated with them that occasionally causes them to freak out and exhibit bizarre behavior. How bizarre? Well, I have an assault rifle that suddenly shoots shotgun shells for one. It makes for a fun toy. Beyond that, it's more of what I have come to expect from Borderlands expansions, but not something that stands out against, say, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, which is still one of the best expansions I have ever played. It is nice to have it as a bridge between the first and second run of the game.

But that final boss is a nightmare.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:But that final boss is a nightmare.

OMG, seriously. It was such a weird contrast to like... everything before it. Running through the game and feeling in control; being able to manage all other bosses w/ minimal (or no) deaths prior and then you get to him and it's like you're dying every 90 seconds. Brutal.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I need to play this...I bought it some time ago but was sorta burnt out on BL at the time. Good to hear it is awesome.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

u guys play the same games at the same time?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:u guys play the same games at the same time?

It's like how your daughter helps you play Sonic, except Noise is more detrimental to the people he plays with.