Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Man finding games for 1984 and 1985 is devastatingly hard. Damn video game crash.

Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Man finding games for 1984 and 1985 is devastatingly hard. Damn video game crash.

Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?

What letters are you on for 1984 and 1985?

Is it L and M?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Hey noise, you start Flicky on MSX yet?

I was thinking about giving Future Knight (C64) a shot.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote::lol: It's not bad. Worse than Atari Ice Hockey tho.

You are insane. I have played both, and NES Ice Hockey destroys 2600 Ice Hockey. I'm sorry. That is just the way it is. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ack wrote:What letters are you on for 1984 and 1985?

Is it L and M?

:lol:

You know I'm not doing the letters, right?

I have a handful of games from that era, but most are for 8-bit computers. May have to fire up the C64 again!

noiseredux wrote:I was thinking about giving Future Knight (C64) a shot.

Good choice. That's a neat little platformer.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You are insane.

I won't debate this.
tharimrattler

Post by tharimrattler »

First post here, and I apologize for any spelling or format errors, I'm on mobile right now.

Battletoads. Picked this game up from a local shop last year but didn't get around to playing until about 3 weeks ago. Little background on my history with this game: played as a kid at a cousins house several times, mostly 2 player. I don't recall ever getting past stage 3 (the infamous speed racing stage). I think the ramps got me mostly, I didn't understand the mechanics. My older cousin who owned the game was practically a game wizard compared to me, I can only imagine how frustrating it was to play perfect on stage 3 but have to replay it over and over because p2 keeps dying.

Well lately I have been going back and slaying some of these games I played as a kid, and this one was just calling me. There were several times in the game where I didn't think it could get any harder but it DID. I also was surprised by the number of levels, and sheer amount of gameplay mechanics in this game. They keep it fresh and introduce something new on nearly every stage. The overall graphics and music are very good for this era, which is nice when playing the early stages over and over again to get back to the point I was currently stuck on.

Looking back, the parts that required the most repetition were stage 8, 9, and 12. Each stage required several continues just to figure out and beat, however. When I finally beat it for the first time, I got to the final boss with only 1 spare life, and with a bit of luck and patience I beat it on my first time there! I created a highlight of this part because it was truly unexpected lol.

I beat the game using the 5 life code, and warps ( warped on 1, 4, 6). Immediately after beating it for the first time I made an attempt at beating in with no warps and did it first try! Now I want to beat it no code and no warps.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes games from this era, and especially if you like a challenge. Excellent game, and rewarding. Although it is a 2 player game, I would recommend playing 1 player. If 2 like want to play, rotate after each continue on 1 player.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

tharimrattler wrote:First post here, and I apologize for any spelling or format errors, I'm on mobile right now.

Battletoads. Picked this game up from a local shop last year but didn't get around to playing until about 3 weeks ago. Little background on my history with this game: played as a kid at a cousins house several times, mostly 2 player. I don't recall ever getting past stage 3 (the infamous speed racing stage). I think the ramps got me mostly, I didn't understand the mechanics. My older cousin who owned the game was practically a game wizard compared to me, I can only imagine how frustrating it was to play perfect on stage 3 but have to replay it over and over because p2 keeps dying.

Well lately I have been going back and slaying some of these games I played as a kid, and this one was just calling me. There were several times in the game where I didn't think it could get any harder but it DID. I also was surprised by the number of levels, and sheer amount of gameplay mechanics in this game. They keep it fresh and introduce something new on nearly every stage. The overall graphics and music are very good for this era, which is nice when playing the early stages over and over again to get back to the point I was currently stuck on.

Looking back, the parts that required the most repetition were stage 8, 9, and 12. Each stage required several continues just to figure out and beat, however. When I finally beat it for the first time, I got to the final boss with only 1 spare life, and with a bit of luck and patience I beat it on my first time there! I created a highlight of this part because it was truly unexpected lol.

I beat the game using the 5 life code, and warps ( warped on 1, 4, 6). Immediately after beating it for the first time I made an attempt at beating in with no warps and did it first try! Now I want to beat it no code and no warps.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes games from this era, and especially if you like a challenge. Excellent game, and rewarding. Although it is a 2 player game, I would recommend playing 1 player. If 2 like want to play, rotate after each continue on 1 player.

Hey welcome to the forums! I tis a pleasure to have you! Congratulations on beating Battletoads! I always feel that people give the game a bad rap for being too hard when in reality, a ton of games in that era were challenging. What really makes it hard is having that second player who can really mess things up for you. Playing solo though is very doable as long as you learn the levels and patterns.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Battletoads has a ton of bullshit in its difficulty, as each stage throws out what you've learned on the previous stage. Ninja Gaiden is balls hard, but the things you learn in the early stages apply to the later stages, and the difficulty increases feel like the game simply forcing you to have faster reactions and tighter execution of the things you've been doing since the beginning.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Pit hawks aside, Ninja Gaiden always felt fair to me. Until you get to the final boss. That's when it gets infuriating. I'm sure there's some kind of trick to it that makes it easy, but I never found the easy way.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

I don't get what the big deal about the Turbo Tunnel is in Battletoads. An important thing to know to get past it is to not press ANY buttons on the ramps. That's what got me dying over and over again until I learned not to do that. Pretty simple to beat otherwise.