Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoringSupreez »

Exhuminator wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:you will NOT see Arkham Knight's ending unless you do EVERYTHING in the game. Have fun with those super repetitive and annoying side missions, and the shitty tank battles too.

This kind of junk has lead to my favorite personal purpose for Youtube... seeing the "hidden" endings in games without having to do the inane bullshit.

There's something to be said for Deus Ex-style "choose a button" endings.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoringSupreez wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:you will NOT see Arkham Knight's ending unless you do EVERYTHING in the game. Have fun with those super repetitive and annoying side missions, and the shitty tank battles too.

This kind of junk has lead to my favorite personal purpose for Youtube... seeing the "hidden" endings in games without having to do the inane bullshit.

There's something to be said for Deus Ex-style "choose a button" endings.

I feel it necessary to point out that the original Deus Ex required a different series of steps to choose each button; you just received the notification that there were three buttons at the same time. You still had to fight your way through enemies to pick your button in a way that made sense for the goal of each button.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)

Fairune is a $3 eShop title that I found enjoyable, intriguing, and well-worth the amount that I paid for it. It is an ARPG that plays similarly to Falcom's Ys series, and its combat system is very simple. (That is, your character attacks enemies by simply running into them, and if the enemy is your level you will kill it and take 1 HP damage (and gain some experience). If the enemy is one level above you, you will still kill it, but you will take 2-3 HP damage (and gain a little more experience). If the enemy is more than one level above you, you will take 3-5 HP damage, but you will not be able to harm it. Thankfully, you kill all enemies below your level insantly without taking any damage (but without gaining any experience either).

This final point is critical, since the overwhelming majority of the game consists of exploring its relatively large overworld, underworld, and dungeons to find items that will allow you to proceed. The game is riddled with puzzles and "hidden" passageways that provide most of the game's challenge. (Combat is not that difficult, and grinding levels does not take much time.) In fact, the game's puzzles and "hidden" passages can be outright infuriating at times, but the solutions and locations of the passages are pretty obvious once you figure them out. (I consulted an FAQ after frustration set in on two occassions, and I felt like an idiot once I relaized what I was missing.)

Finally, the game has a charming pixel-art aesthetic, and it looks a lot like Dragon Crystal, Golden Axe Warrior, and Ys: The Vanished Omens (but with graphical flourishes the Sega Master System was incapable of producing). It also has a catchy chiptune soundtrack reminiscent of classic ARPGs.

In sum, I enjoyed the game quite a bit, and since I was able to get through it in a little over 3 hours, it never wore out its welcome. (The game also has a few rare enemy types, and there is a list of "achievements" for those who want to squeeze some additional time out of it.) Moreover, the game has some excellent hidden areas - that I stumbled on quite by accident - that really add to the mystery surrounding its rather cryptic storyline, and the battle with the final boss took the game in a wholly unexpected (but nonetheless enjoyable) direction:
It's a shmup!

I therefore recommend this game very highly to anyone who is a fan of classic ARPGs, especially at the $3 price point.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I therefore recommend this game very highly to anyone who is a fan of classic ARPGs, especially at the $3 price point.

$3 is quite cheap. But the game is free on Google Play and iTunes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rune&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fairune ... 32419?mt=8

Sounds like a fun time though! I'll go ahead and throw it on my phone.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I therefore recommend this game very highly to anyone who is a fan of classic ARPGs, especially at the $3 price point.

$3 is quite cheap. But the game is free on Google Play and iTunes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rune&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fairune ... 32419?mt=8

Sounds like a fun time though! I'll go ahead and throw it on my phone.

I know. I know. IMO, however, the buttons controls and 3DS-exclusive extra features more than justify the price of admission.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:3DS-exclusive extra features

Huh, what features are those? I read the 3DS version has one exclusive item and that was it. Here's some good news for ya though:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/08/fa ... tendo-3ds/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:3DS-exclusive extra features

Huh, what features are those? I read the 3DS version has one exclusive item and that was it. Here's some good news for ya though:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/08/fa ... tendo-3ds/

It has an exclusive dungeon with a few extra puzzles. (I knocked it out in 15-20 minutes, however; so, I wouldn't purchase the game for that feature.) Also, the additional item is very, very well-hidden - but necessary for filling out your bestiary. (I am not sure whether the bestiary and "achievements" are exclusive to the 3DS version or not.) For me, however, the button controls and the (incredibly helpful) map on the top screen justified the game's price. (I also use my phone primarily for work, and I do not keep any games on it.)

Also, I read about Fairune II, and I will definitely be getting it based on my experiences with the first game.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You have me intrigued prfsnl, I am installing it on my phone right now.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

fastbilly1 wrote:You have me intrigued prfsnl, I am installing it on my phone right now.

Cool. I will be interested in reading your comments on the game. Here is Nintendolife's review, which is pretty spot-on:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/fairune

(The reviewer is apparently better at video games than I am, however, since he was able to beat the game in just under two hours.)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Is it really free for iOS or are there required in app purchases?