Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

I Think I'm Done With Consoles

by GSZX1337 Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am

Before I go on my long spiel I'll just say that I'm mostly talking about keeping current. There might be something that'll tip me over into buying an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4. However, I'll be definitely be waiting a looooooooong time before I buy either one. Also, I might buy a Wii-U. It depends on if there's any sort of connectivity features with the 3DS that interest me or if I feel that the Nintendo franchises I grew up are worth revisiting yet again. I'm kind of committed to the 3DS since I bought three games for it before I came to this decision. Lastly, I'm mostly going to talk about the hardware/user experience and no so much about the games.

I purchased a PS3 sometime in June of 2007, received a Wii as a gift in August of 2008, and an Xbox 360.. eh, I don't remember. Until the Wii-U came out, I was pretty current on the game consoles. I had a lot of fun with them, but I think it's time for me to leave. Why? Because it's not the console gaming I grew up with. It used to be that when you played a game on a console, you put the cartridge/disc in and started playing. Additional features such as CD playback were easy to use and didn't get in the way. I'm not just being some nostalgic old man in his twenties, I'm describing consoles as recent as the PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast. When you put a game in a Dreamcast or PS2, the console goes straight to the game. If you want to play a CD, you put a CD in in place of a game. Now, the PS3 and X360 are much more advanced and can do much more, so some simplicity has to go away, but it's just too much. I have to update my PS3's firmware to play some Blu-Rays and I'm forced to update my firmware if I want to watch something on Netflix. Games have to sync with a server to tell me what trophies I've acquired, games sometimes need to be patched, some games even need to be installed before I can do jack shit.

This leads me to my main criticism of modern consoles: All of the installing, patching, syncing, and firmware updates remind me of PC gaming. I feel like I'm getting almost all of the downsides of PC gaming with none of the benefits. I have to worry about DRM, the future of my download purchases, whether I should bother purchasing a certain game used, if features will be taken away, if an update will change/ruin everything, a bunch of stupid bullshit that I didn't have to worry about last generation. That was shit that I associated with PC Gaming, not with consoles. With consoles, it was a matter of simplicity and stability over capability. Now, I just feel a bunch of restrictions and limitations with no sort of benefit in exchange.

Now, I may be mainly focusing on Microsoft and Sony, but you bet your ass that I have some real gripes with Nintendo. Mainly with their Virtual Console. The limitations on Wii Ware are pretty frustrating too. I'll list my main gripes with each of the big three:

Microsoft:
Xbox Live, fuck this. Not only do I have to pay for online play but I have to pay to use Netflix and Spotify on my console even if I already pay for those services?
I've never had mine die on me, but I've had more than a few people tell me how they've purchased at least one replacement console.
The Kinect feels like an addition that should've been part of a new console instead of a later-in-life addition.
The ads on the home screens really piss me off. I'd understand ads in XBL, since I'm going there to download shit, but not on the homescreen of a console I payed for.

Sony (a.k.a. the easy target):
The whole Linux debacle is bullshit and I'm sure we all know about that.
It's not as bad now, but for a while it felt like I had to update my firmware every other time I turned on my console.
I have to wait for a sync operation every time I want to see my trophies. To compare, I can find my Xbox and Steam achievements almost as soon as I earn them. Having to wait gets pretty old.
Of course everyone remembers the whole Sony security breach thing.
The PS3 has the most significant differences between hardware revisions. And by significant, I mean frustrating as we were seeing backwards compatibility being slowly removed between versions.

Nintendo:
Like I said above, the Virtual Console is a joke. To put things in perspective, read this Vintage Computing article.
This goes with the previous gripe, Nintendo's download/backup limitations are infuriating. Sony, Microsoft, and Valve give you backup options and the ability to transfer your games to alternate devices.
The Wii is weak sauce. Most of the games are an eyesore to look at. The games that do look good on the console just have me wishing that they can be ran in HD.

Those are the major gripes. I have a bunch of other smaller complaints towards the big three. It just seems that over the past few years, the negatives have kept building and building with the positives being nearly phased out. With this Xbox One announcement, I think the positives will be completely phased out. I just said "Fuck it!" and am going to setup my media center PC as a Steam Box and play my "TV Games" that way. Most of the games I liked in this generation were sequels of games that have started the generation prior. I don't think I really need to play a tenth Ratchet and Clank game. For the most part, the games that weren't sequels either had PC versions or were game genres that I'd rather play on PC.

I'm not saying that if you buy the Xbox One or the PS4 that you're stupid or even making the wrong decision. I just think that console gaming has finally lost me. I don't need my console to use a printer, to order HBO, or to check the weather. I have a computer, a tablet, and a cell phone to do that. I need my console to be simple, stable, fast, and worry-free. So in conclusion, I think that I'm going to be PC only this generation.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Re: I Think I'm Done With Consoles

by EvilRyu2099 Thu May 23, 2013 1:10 am

VC is awesome in the Wii and Wii U.. One of the few things I enjoy the most about each console.. And to be fair, yes it sucks that Sony slowly removed BC, but tbh they needed to lower the cost of manufacturing each console.. Blu-Ray burnt a giant hole in their budget..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 am

I thought I was done with home consoles at the beginning of this last generation, and somehow I ended up with all three, so I guess I can't rule anything out entirely. At the very least, I'll probably pick up a Wii-U when they're phasing out, and dirt cheap, just to be able to play Wii games with enhanced color depth in HDMI.

If someone had said to me back when Nintendo was releasing the specs for the Wii-U that one of the other major console developers is going to fuck up its next console launch even worse, I would have told him he's out of his damn mind. It looks like the market is Sony's to corner. I don't know which company is more soulless, though, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of the PS4 having some ridiculously invasive feature(s) also.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I don't think the free market is going to sort this out the way it should, unfortunately.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 am

The past few weeks I've been having this exact same thought. I'm keeping the Wii, because I don't mind bad graphics (better than PS1, amirite?), and it's fun for online friends and tennis with my fiancée. But what I want for it is significantly less than any other console except the NGCD and the 7800; also, the 360 and PS3. I can't find 25 good games for either. Maybe if I just got one or the other, I would be happy, but it's way too much for too little return. Yeah, Cave and Raiden IV are cool, but 3D in general doesn't interest me enough to make that investment. Heck, I wouldn't even have bought a NGCD if it weren't for the fact that I could play burns.

I too want to go the PC route, except too many games are box and Steam code only, and I'm not liking that. I want physical media. I already have a hefty Steam account that barely gets played, so why get more? And as BoneSnapDeez said in another thread, I own enough games now to last me a decade or more, and all the games I want up to the PS2 and skipping over to the Wii are enough to last me a lifetime. I think I'll hold on to the...6...games I own for the PS3 and 360 for the time being, but they too will probably go on the chopping block (aka BST thread) before long.

Next up: see if DS and PSP can withstand the purge.

pierrot wrote:At the very least, I'll probably pick up a Wii-U when they're phasing out, and dirt cheap, just to be able to play Wii games with enhanced color depth in HDMI.

I can see myself doing that. I can still use Wiimotes and whatnot, right?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Thu May 23, 2013 1:36 am

pierrot wrote:I thought I was done with home consoles at the beginning of this last generation, and somehow I ended up with all three, so I guess I can't rule anything out entirely. At the very least, I'll probably pick up a Wii-U when they're phasing out, and dirt cheap, just to be able to play Wii games with enhanced color depth in HDMI.

If someone had said to me back when Nintendo was releasing the specs for the Wii-U that one of the other major console developers is going to fuck up its next console launch even worse, I would have told him he's out of his damn mind. It looks like the market is Sony's to corner. I don't know which company is more soulless, though, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of the PS4 having some ridiculously invasive feature(s) also.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I don't think the free market is going to sort this out the way it should, unfortunately.

Love it or hate it, the PS4 reveal was about on the same level for me. It doesnt really have a heads up over MS. People were bashing that reveal too, this is just the latest to attack.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 am

Jmustang1968 wrote:
pierrot wrote:I thought I was done with home consoles at the beginning of this last generation, and somehow I ended up with all three, so I guess I can't rule anything out entirely. At the very least, I'll probably pick up a Wii-U when they're phasing out, and dirt cheap, just to be able to play Wii games with enhanced color depth in HDMI.

Love it or hate it, the PS4 reveal was about on the same level for me. It doesnt really have a heads up over MS. People were bashing that reveal too, this is just the latest to attack.

Despite all this doom and gloom coming from Racketboy I fully expect console sales this generation to be just as good as the last. Well actually, probably higher all combined.

I know that I will likely buy a PS4 to go with my WIiU. And the X1 isn't totally out of the question. Depends on exclusives. Will probably end up being another generation where I buy everything.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
DinnerX
Next-Gen

by DinnerX Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 am

GSZX1337 wrote:This leads me to my main criticism of modern consoles: All of the installing, patching, syncing, and firmware updates remind me of PC gaming. I feel like I'm getting almost all of the downsides of PC gaming with none of the benefits. I have to worry about DRM, the future of my download purchases, whether I should bother purchasing a certain game used, if features will be taken away, if an update will change/ruin everything, a bunch of stupid bullshit that I didn't have to worry about last generation. That was shit that I associated with PC Gaming, not with consoles. With consoles, it was a matter of simplicity and stability over capability. Now, I just feel a bunch of restrictions and limitations with no sort of benefit in exchange.
I think that describes the current console situation perfectly. It's pretty crappy. My non-retro PC gaming tapered off because of DRM frustrations and my console gaming may follow the same path soon.

The only console of the new generation I have much chance of buying is the Wii U. Odds are that purchase is several years off, unless unless something amazing happens for the platform.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 am

GSZX1337 wrote:So in conclusion, I think that I'm going to be PC only this generation.

I was PC only last generation, aside from a short stint with an exploited PS3 to play a few backups for a few months. I have no regrets. I just recently hit 666 (it counts DLC separately) games in my Steam account. Metal. It says I've only spent $1336.43 since 2004, with a current account value of $4834.79. Not a bad price for basically a lifetime supply of games. I'll never get caught up.

Unrelated: Was anyone else bummed out by how the Dog Model meme from the XB1 reveal didn't take off nearly as hard as Sony's Giant Enemy Crab?
Retronomy
32-bit

by Retronomy Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am

I'm so disenchanted with this generation of consoles. I can't help but wonder what incentive I have to purchase these systems when my PC is already capable and more convenient.

The only system I have any interest in this time around is the Wii U, and I'll probably end up picking one up once the system is dead and 100$
http://retrofiends.com My terrible retro video game reviews blog.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 am

I never planned on a GCN, oXbox or PS2, but bought them all.

I saw no benefit to the Wii, PS3, or 360 and swore i'd never own any of them. I own them all and think the Wii has the best library since the SNES/SATURN.

I have no plans to buy WiiU, PS4, or X1, but in 4 years I bet they're all in this house.

It only takes one good exclusive game or one game yr buddies all want to play either with you or online to make the investment make sense.

Zenerik is spot on.
Return to General Gaming