Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by mobiusclimber »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Apparently I'm consistent in this regard:

https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtop ... 59#p518359

It's funny that someone described CT as a game with no padding when it really feels like most of the game is padding to me. You're menaced by goblins half the time (to quote the shortest song in existence, "but why?") and stupid cult members whose leader is kind of on the same side as you. All so you can travel back in time to stop a slug alien from ... stealing DNA in order to reproduce a billion years in the future? Um wut? Around 20 hours into the game you could go fight the slug and lose or you can go through different time periods in order to get stronger. The game goes on for another 20 to 40 hours of this.
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Someone clarify/remind me: wasn't Lavos there to just suck out the planet's energy, grow, and leave? (wash-rinse-repeat)

I don't recall some grand evil scheme. It'd probably consider the humans as pests.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It was slowly cultivating the Earth. And having babbies.

mobiusclimber wrote:(to quote the shortest song in existence, "but why?")

:lol: :lol:

tabs plz
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I found Lavos to be one of the more interesting elements of the game. Okay, not the character itself, as it doesn't possess much sentience, but the reactions to the existence of Lavos. He's like a malevolent god, and the time periods are distinguished largely by how the populace reacts to Lavos' existence: whether he's condemned or revered or outright ignored. It's like watching a strange religion ebb and flow and play out over, ya know, time.

That's a really interesting take on it. Maybe I just needed a finer point put on it, but it's one of the things that really bothered me after beating CT. I just never got the connection between what was going on with your party and the weird alien slug that you have to defeat. I guess if I enjoyed playing the game a bit more I'd have beaten it over and over and eventually figured this out. I think one problem I'm getting into in my old age is not having the time to replay games so sometimes subtlety is lost on me.
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

The gun charging mechanics in the Mega Man games are stupid. It makes the games less fun to play. The enemies just become bullet sponges.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

opa wrote:The gun charging mechanics in the Mega Man games are stupid. It makes the games less fun to play. The enemies just become bullet sponges.

True! Constantly holding down B is also annoying.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Posted in the right topic, and I can see where you're coming from.

I see it as a natural progression to add to the play mechanics - there was only two buttons, so they upgraded the attack button's function.
I like it! Holding the button is natural feeling to me (tho I guess I grew up with it after only a few years of going without). I feel the levels/enemies were built to expect you will charge it up and use it to deal with the wave of enemies (It penetrates - eliminating groups), and you're expected to charge your weapon while avoiding attacks, waiting for the right time to strike with 3+1 damage when the tough enemies arrive or you've dodged an attack.

Did one of the compilation ports add in an option to auto-charge? I don't think that's a good solution.
Here's a better solution - Mega Man 4: Free of Charge
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

It was a little inconvenient to constantly hold down the button and the charge noise is really annoying, especially on NES. But it’s also a fun mechanic to use that makes you feel powerful. So I think a no hold charge with a much less annoying sound is a good compromise.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Been playing through the Rockman collections on the Switch and I have to say, the MM series went the same route as the MM X series in that the latter entries kind of suck. I'm playing through Mega Man 9 and it has the most trash, blatantly cheap level design and enemies. Mega Man 11 isn't too great either with its stupid, gimmicky gear system. I like MM 8 though, the last good MM game.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I wouldn't recommend anyone play Mega Man 9 unless you can do it on an emulator with save states. Dying to all of its cheap bullshit will sting a lot less.