Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by Ack »

Raging Justice wrote:I wouldn't recommend anyone play Mega Man 9 unless you can do it on an emulator with save states. Dying to all of its cheap bullshit will sting a lot less.

I don't know what you mean, I beat the whole thing my first time through just using the basic mega buster on bosses. I remember we had a few folks here even manage the no-hit achievement. It feels like the original NES games to me.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Anapan wrote:Posted in the right topic, and I can see where you're coming from.

I see it as a natural progression to add to the play mechanics - there was only two buttons, so they upgraded the attack button's function.
I like it! Holding the button is natural feeling to me (tho I guess I grew up with it after only a few years of going without). I feel the levels/enemies were built to expect you will charge it up and use it to deal with the wave of enemies (It penetrates - eliminating groups), and you're expected to charge your weapon while avoiding attacks, waiting for the right time to strike with 3+1 damage when the tough enemies arrive or you've dodged an attack.

Did one of the compilation ports add in an option to auto-charge? I don't think that's a good solution.
Here's a better solution - Mega Man 4: Free of Charge

I totally see the progression in gameplay. And I like the charge beam! It's pretty cool. I'm just not a huge fan of it. Granted, I'm not that big into the Mega Man games (I'm a scrub, as the kids would say (is that still the lingo?)). I'd like it better if the default beam just upgraded as you beat robot masters. I think that's a fair compromise. (Does MMX series do this? I don't remember)

I'll check out that rom hack when I get the chance. Thanks for the link!

edit:
I just played a little MM9 on the Wii. Seems okay? Yeah, some b.s. level design... but I'm not familiar with the stages yet. Seems pretty par for the course with Mega Man.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Yeah, I'm kinda torn on MM9; I think they got a lot right, but I agree the level designs could've been more inspired. All-in-all I enjoyed it. It was a challenge to make it look proper on a CRT even through emulation, but I got it locked-in.

I don't know if it applies to this crowd, but I've never liked Minecraft. I just can't see the appeal. I understand how the Lego enthusiasts like it. I understand that it's so moddable that it can be any game, but why build onto it as opposed to any other game - Garry's Mod, VR Chat, etc? I guess it's the community? Everyone plays it, so at least there'll be people there?
I also can't understand how kids instead of playing it, just watch fully-grown adults play it like they're playing with dolls in a doll house and voicing the characters... I just am blown away how they are getting paid for this.

I bought the best mods for realistic water, and the most high-def textures with raytracing. Bought some level packs, and skins. Just want to see what it could be, using community suggestions to beef it up fully using my new computer. It crashes. Cool.

I did get a laugh out of that machinima "Hazbin Hotel Animation in Minecraft" but it's all AI and so offensive and cringe. Those guys are either in high-school, or really good at using AI and just content farming as well as can be done with 0 budget or effort. AI script, AI voices, and a few people wiggling models arms in minecraft. Still funny.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I love Legos, I don't care for Minecraft at all. Completely missed me on that. I just chalked it up to "dumb popular thing kids like," for Fortnight and Limp Bizkit and Slap bracelets.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I like Minecraft but I have to have an objective or goal to reach towards. I guess you can fight the dragon at the end but... you don't have to? You're just plopped into a world and told to have at it. I suppose that kind of freedom would have been cool if I played it as a kid.

A game that does the whole surviving/crafting thing better is Dragon Quest Builders. You have a main goal to revive the land you're in and other NPC's to interact with. The building aspect is kind of minimal but it works.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I watched a highlights video where someone deconstructed the terrain, and rebuilt it into sedimentary layers. IMO he won.

It's totally impressive when someone builds a craft that consumes terrain and moves on its own.

Someone make a working Atari 2600 emulator that takes big chunks of terrain as cartridge data, and displays the image as a scanline built raster display.

That's cool, but not a game.

If you put a slap bracelet on the ground a cat will touch it.

I bought Dragon Quest Builders for my nephew when it launched in North America. I asked him just now if he liked it. He says it's still in plastic. He heard from some of his favorite youtubers that it's bad, so he won't touch it. I let him know he can trade it for cash, and he says he lost it. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:I wouldn't recommend anyone play Mega Man 9 unless you can do it on an emulator with save states. Dying to all of its cheap bullshit will sting a lot less.

I don't know what you mean, I beat the whole thing my first time through just using the basic mega buster on bosses. I remember we had a few folks here even manage the no-hit achievement. It feels like the original NES games to me.

I think it was Gunstar who receives the “Mr Perfect” achievement. I’m not THAT good (or patient), but I really did enjoy MM9. MM10 and MM11 we’re both fine, but I don’t think any of them captured the old MM feeing like MM9.

opa wrote:I like Minecraft but I have to have an objective or goal to reach towards. I guess you can fight the dragon at the end but... you don't have to? You're just plopped into a world and told to have at it. I suppose that kind of freedom would have been cool if I played it as a kid.

I’m the same way. I need to be working toward a well-defined goal. My son put, like, 500+ hours into that game, though. He beat the dragon and “beat” the game dozens of times, but most of his time was spent goofing off with his friends.

The whole experience followed the beats of a childhood friendship too. He and his buddy would be so close, then one of them would be too “bossy” about what they were building together, and they’d have a falling out. They’d make up and be friends again, and then one of them would do something that “ruined” their base, and they’d be mad at each other again. They’d make up, obsessing over the game again, and the cycle would repeat. It was very cute. (He’s kind of ages out of Minecraft now, though, and he now plays mostly Halo Infinite and Fortnite.)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'll throw some stellar corona temperature takes into the fire.

1. The PS2's composite video output is so bad that it's virtually unplayable for me without YPbPr
1.5. Genesis isn't much better
2. The PSP, despite having a great game library, is a horribly overrated piece of hardware with a shit plastic shell over the screen that scratches way too easily, an obnoxious nub for a control stick, and an asinine decision to put an optical disc drive in a turn of the century battery powered handheld
3. Devil's Third is a Wii U gem that exemplifies "so bad it's good" and all of the hate for it is from people who either never played it or never played more than the first level
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@ElkinFencer10
Those are all just fact.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

@ElkinFencer10 Yeah, those are pretty solid truths I think. Only point I would make in favor of the PSP and UMDs would be portable full-length movies before streaming was a thing. It at least gives you a glimpse on WHY Sony went that direction. The execution was definitely not ideal though and I think helped drive CFW.