Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by FerretGamer Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Finished my first game last night! :)

January:

1/2 - Spec Ops: The Line - PS3

I purchased the game from the Gamefly end of year sale based on a lot of positive feedback from the CAG community. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the game. It's nice to see a different approach story-wise for this genre. I also happen to be a big fan of third-person shooters.

The soundtrack is just plain awesome and I was bobbing my head throughout while maneuvering like a pro and taking out baddies with ease. The controls are fluid, responsive, and work well for this type of game. In addition, the voice acting is top notch and the sound design overall is very good.

The story falls into the mindfuck category of games. I won't spoil anything story wise in here. The graphics are above average and in many areas I paused to take a look at the environments. There were some very fun/memorable segments in the game and I think it was well worth the $15 even though it is quite short.

I think if you're itching for a shooter that isn't:
1. Call of Duty
2. First Person Shooter
3. USA vs Some Middle Eastern Country/China/North Korea

Then give this game a try especially if the price is right. (< $15) It is far better than most of the professional reviews and deserves the designation of the game that no one played last year.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

FerretGamer wrote:Finished my first game last night! :)

January:

Great game! Well, interesting anyway. Gameplay was a bit weak, but seriously, how many games have a load screen that gives you a definition of "cognitive dissonance"? This is a unique shooter that will unfortunately be missed by a lot of the audience that would most likely appreciate it because that audience doesn't tend to pay attention to shooters.

We need a spoiler filled thread for this game because the story is a pretty cool take on Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now and I'd like to talk about it in more detail. It's also weird to have a game that basically hates you for liking it.

This video captures a lot of my thoughts on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBrenhzMZI
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:Now, to decide where to go next....

Obviously, Mega Man 2!

I went on to this one pretty much immediately, and got to the Wiley stages. But, I decided to not rush through the series, so I am going to stagger the MM titles with other games.

1. Mega Man
2. Kirby's Adventure

Kirby's Adventure: Another case of me growing up with the Game Boy version. I did get to play this one once as a kid, and back then it blew my mind that Kirby could actually swallow his enemies and steal his powers. Made the GB game feel so shallow. So I was looking forward to coming back and seeing all this game has to offer. I loved the Sun&Moon boss, the tunnel-clearing boss, and of course, the throwback to Kirby's Dreamland stage! The graphics are insane for an NES game. It was a bit on the easy side for a first play, and I think with a replay I may get bored, now that I know how to do each boss. However, there were bonus stages I could not find, so I may revisit it.

There were a few things that kept reminding me of another Nintendo title from around the same era, as they happen to both feature:

-Giant switches that unlock other stages from within stages
-Stars that let you quickly travel
-Zones named after food
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice to see you back on the NES doing non shmup games! Also nice to see you posting these games you're beating!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:15 pm

ExedExes wrote:Nice to see you back on the NES doing non shmup games! Also nice to see you posting these games you're beating!

Thanks! :) Yeah, I was playing some SNES a few days ago, and realized that most of my favorite games for the system are sequels of NES games that I had never played. :lol: I think I'll do one more game before going back to Mega Man 2, just to savor how damn awesome that game is.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 am

1. Thomas Was Alone - PC
2. Sam & Max Save the World Episode 3 The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball - PC

Sam & Max Save the World
Episode 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die!

WOW! This blows away the first three episodes! This is the funniest one yet. Plus, it's longer than episode 3 and the puzzles were much more interesting and challenging. With this episode, I see an upward trend in quality, not that the first three were bad, but it seems to be getting better. This one was noticeably stronger than the first three, yet also built nicely off of what was established in those first three entries.

I'm so happy I got all the Sam & Max games during the Telltale sale at GOG. I'm having a blast with them!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:23 am

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD

Well those were easier than I remembered.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 pm

New games in bold.

January:

1/3 - flOw - PS3
1/4 - Flower - PS3

flOw:

I decided to finally open the seal on Journey: Collector's Edition. I had already owned and played through flOw when it came out many years back. Therefore, I knew what to expect with the game. In 2007, this game blew my mind. My friend and I played through the entire game from start to finish without pausing. We spent a lot of time discovering what each creature was capable of as well as learning about different strategies and tactics. It was an experience of discovery and wonderment. flOw left a wonderful and memorable impact throughout the years. In 2012, most of the impact is still there; however, it has lost its initial wow factor because of my second play through. The controls are a little annoying at times but it was still an enjoyable and relaxing experience. I really just wanted to play through it so that I can experience the evolution of thatgamecompany.

Flower:

The magic is back from 2007. WOW.
I know that this is just the first playthrough excitement and hype but goddamn it thatgamecompany has managed to create the same sense of discovery and wonderment as in flOw. However, if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Flower. From the moment you are in that first field, you know you are in for something special. Did I mention that grass? Oh man that grass. Awesome. :lol: Every piece of this game was so thoughtfully created and put together. I think a game like Flower certainly shows the capability of video-games as a medium for artistic expression. I really don't want to talk much about the actual "game" since it really should be experienced. I'm just upset that I waited this long to enjoy it. I can't wait to play the third game in this set, Journey. :D
NihonRobot
24-bit

by NihonRobot Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 am

Even though I've recently started Dragon's Dogma, Professor Layton and the Last Specter and Liberation Maiden, I bet the first game I beat this year is going to be Anarchy Reigns. But I guess we'll see...
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 pm

NihonRobot wrote:Even though I've recently started Dragon's Dogma, Professor Layton and the Last Specter and Liberation Maiden, I bet the first game I beat this year is going to be Anarchy Reigns. But I guess we'll see...

I can't wait, only a couple days to go.
Return to General Gaming