Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Luke Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:44 am

Gamerforlife wrote:You know I was going to create this thread myself, but I noticed the last two or three we had were created by Luke. I thought it was a tradition or something

It was until I stopped maintaining a decent list.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 am

First beaten!

Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead (expansion pack) - PC

Shorter, but tough!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 pm

1- Gravity Rush - Vita
2- Erst Kerf - PC

Gravity Rush is one of the most fun games I've played in a quite a while. While I never quite understood the story (as some parts get rather vague; especially towards the end) I found the action to be satisfying. Gravity Rush has the best use of gravity effects in any game I've ever played. You alter gravity to not only travel but to fight as well. Gravity attacks get some getting used to but they functioned as they should. Land combat, however, was disappointing because all you do is hammer the square button to chain kicks. Disappointing move variety and the occasional framerate drop hampered the experience. BUT, the game was fun and holy crap, an original IP for once. So, yes, I'd probably recommend Gravity Rush if you own a Vita.

Erst Kerf is a doujin bullet-hell shmup mixed with a dungeon crawler. As you replay the game your weapons level up and you can spend experience points on upgrading your health, attack, etc. There are also hidden weapons to discover in secret passages in levels so the game doesn't feel as linear as it actually is. The difficulty in Erst Kerf gets increasingly difficult as you progress through each stage. Which is good because I hate when games fall apart at the end. The soundtrack is also worth a mention because I found some of the tunes to be very memorable. If you like doujin shmups it is definitely worth looking into... that's if you can find a copy.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm

And here we go! Goal is to get through at least 25 this year. Only 4 more than last.

Company of Heroes

It only took me around 6 or 7 years to finally get around to beating this gem of a strategy game. It's a bit imbalanced and a bit buggy. It also has obnoxious DRM. It's also very easy to look past all of those things since the game was just so damn good. I don't know that I want to play through the two expansion packs, since they're a bit more focused on multiplayer, but I'm definitely eager for the sequel. The campaign took about 14 hours to get through and every one of those hours was filled with strategy goodness. The last 5 missions or so though felt a bit thrown together and rushed unfortunately, but, they were still enjoyable.

Up next, not sure if I'll finish Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Far Cry 3, or Valkyria Chronicals first.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
flex wood
Next-Gen

by flex wood Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I think it'll be good for me to keep a list this year and see how I do. I'm going to try to save some money this year for a PC by clearing my backlog and not drinking so much so I should be playing a ton of games.

Assassins Creed 3-ps3
I didn't really like the game that much the stealth felt very broken and the main character was dull and just came off as very stupid. I did have a great time and some laugh out loud moments from doing stupid things in the game.
Post game spoiler
after you beat the game and have to sit through about 20 minutes of credits you can go and watch 3 pointless cut scenes. One of which is of the British leaving the colonies. While all the people are cheering and talking about how free they are Connor watches a slave auctioneer trying to auction a family, me thinking that everyone should be free, I go and kill said auctioneer not expecting much to happen maybe a thank you or something. What do I get as I laugh till my sides hurt? Nothing, no thank you for freeing us and saving my family. Those jerks just stared at me and screamed for help. Ungrateful I tell you. At least I laughed till I cried.

Wouldn't really recommend the game to anyone except fans of the series to be honest. Or anyone that wants to do what did in the spoiler.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution-ps3
Fun game. Not what I expected though. I wasn't really expecting the game to push you to be so stealthy but I enjoyed it for the most part I just wish it was longer. Nickel for every time I've heard that though am I right?

Dishonored-ps3
By far my favorite game since Journey and before that Dark Souls. Just such a great game. It makes me wish every first person game had sliding. The story just sucked me in and made me want revenge and the awesome game play kept me playing. It was just fun to sneak around and blink up buildings. I actually felt stealthy while playing and most stealth games I just feel weak and that I need to hide. In Dshonored I knew I could kill everyone in open battle but I didn't want to because that's not what my character would do.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 am

I think I'll try this out this year. I've decided to really dig into the NES library, as I've played very little of it, and it probably has the widest range of games I know I'd love but have never played. Plus, the difficulty in this era is legendary, and I love a good challenge.

1. Mega Man

Mega Man: Shockingly, I had never really played (at least, more than a random stage or two) any of the NES Mega Man games. The Game Boy Megaman was my first, followed by Megaman X, which is one of my favorite games ever. I plan on playing through each one, and figured iI'd start at the beginning. I really had fun playing this. Not a perfect game by any means, but it has a lot of charm. The game was not a cakewalk either. I spent quite a lot of time stuck on the first Wiley boss, and at the last encounter. Overall, I enjoyed the game enough that I would replay it. There were a lot of memorable spots in the stages that I spent some frustrated moments with, which makes replaying through and man-handling the stages all the more fun.

Now, to decide where to go next....
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 am

R-Type Leo (PC) 1/3

This was just a quick credit feed win. I didn't go for a 1cc or anything like that. It was fun and fast, but a pretty by-the-numbers shmup. Not as cool or as challenging as R-Type, Super R-Type, R-Type Delta, or R-Type Final (I'm not personally familiar with the rest of the series).
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:Now, to decide where to go next....

Obviously, Mega Man 2!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 am

1. Thomas Was Alone - PC
2. Sam & Max Save the World Episode 3 The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball - PC

Another solid Sam & Max game. I love this duo. This one seemed easier than the first two episodes, but it was still fun. I'm amazed at how many more laughs I get out of these games than the Tales of Monkey Island games, which I may not even continue playing since one of the puzzles in episode 2 pissed me off (the one that involves distracting two pirates).

That's the thing bout the Sam & Max games, they're chock full of smart comedy, and the puzzles don't piss me off. I still totally love Sybil and Bosco
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 am

I beat MW3's campaign mode yesterday, in one sitting (excepting a short break for lunch). While it maintains the usual high production qualities, smooth graphics, and solid gameplay mechanics, the overall fun seemed to take yet another step down just like MW2 did before it. It seemed like IW and Sledgehammer decided the game needed to take place in a whole bunch of exotic places, then contrived reasons to teleport Price and his immortal* globetrotting friends to said locations. Same ludicrous storytelling as MW2. And of course, the scripted events and set-pieces are less cool and have less impact with each passing game. The COD series is still good, but the glory days are certainly behind. If Activision doesn't watch out they're eventually going to repeat Tony Hawk's and Guitar Hero's mistakes.

Here's how I'd rank the modern COD games I've played at the moment: COD4 > W@W > BlOps > MW2 > MW3.

*except in scripted sequences
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Return to General Gaming