Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Ah, awesome. I forgot there was an NDS port. Being able to put the system into hibernation might actually help.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Ack wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:It's not the tank controls, that I really don't mind. And it's not the PS1 graphics, because I actually really like the pre-rendered background with the very cinematic camera angles. I first tried playing the Wii version of Resident Evil Archives. Then I tried it again when the HD version was on sale on Steam.

I must admit, some of the puzzles piss me off. I eventually throw my arms up and say, "I don't know what the fuck you want me to do!" But what really frustrates me is the limited saving. Maybe if I was still in high school this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm an adult, I need to be able to save every 5 minutes if need be!

The puzzles are silly, yes. Think of them like adventure game moon logic. As for saving...well, it's supposed to make things harder by limiting resources.

The difference between RE puzzles and adventure game puzzles is the logic in RE games is generally obvious from the get go due to the sheer amount of broken bridges that keep you from acquiring too many items to rub together. Also, the general fact that the only time you combine items is when it's obvious, like item with a socket and item that fits in socket. RE is a long series of put item in the only slot it fits into, with the biggest challenge coming from the limited inventory space and every so often not realizing that there is an interactable slot to put something in.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 pm

And don't forget the pushing puzzles, Popo! Those statues ain't gonna push themselves!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:50 am

I found RE to be great fun, I really like the setting and mood. It really feels like you are in a good horror film. I didn't play the original PSX one, but RE2 and RE3 and RE remake, my understanding they all work the same except for better graphics and faster loading times.

The bad part about RE is that if you don't know what you are doing its frustrating to go through all the loading screens and doing all that back tracking because you didn't pick up item X that was on the table in room 3 on level 4 in the mansion.

Ziggy587 wrote:I must admit, some of the puzzles piss me off. I eventually throw my arms up and say, "I don't know what the fuck you want me to do!" But what really frustrates me is the limited saving. Maybe if I was still in high school this wouldn't be an issue. But I'm an adult, I need to be able to save every 5 minutes if need be!

This is funny coming from a retrogamer, where you can die on the before last level of Sonic and now you have to start from level 1. My strategy is to play a game, if I get stuck I look up the guide on GameFAQs. Many times I find myself saying "ok, I wasn't going to figure this on my own".

The internet was a big reason why I came back to videogames, in the 90s and as a kid I just couldn't complete games there was a lot of things that I didn't know how to do or where to go. If things get too difficult I am no longer shy of using cheats to get on with the game, extra frustration is not welcomed.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Hey, you know what's another game that I wish I liked but I just can't get into? Super Metroid. SNES is my favorite console, and Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games. So why don't I like Super Metroid? When the SNES Classic came out, I was playing it on that and got the furthest I ever have in it. But I eventually lost interest and stopped playing. But why? I love everything about the game, except playing it.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Hey, you know what's another game that I wish I liked but I just can't get into? Super Metroid. SNES is my favorite console, and Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games. So why don't I like Super Metroid? When the SNES Classic came out, I was playing it on that and got the furthest I ever have in it. But I eventually lost interest and stopped playing. But why? I love everything about the game, except playing it.

I've found that there are tons of beloved games that I just can't get into. Resident Evil is one of them. Heck, I recently went back into the old "unpopular opinions" thread and was nodding along to everything I said in there. But the upside is that I was able to make a quick buck selling the high profile games that I didn't like and the result is that I have a slimmer, more manageable, better collection, but I only have what I like. It's more a reflection of me rather than some random Pokemonified lists that still continue proliferate on the internet.

Super Metroid is a masterpiece, though. You're crazy! :lol:
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Super Metroid is a masterpiece, though. You're crazy!

Just to prove to you how much I WANT to like this game... As far as selling my collection goes, how I determine what I'm keeping and what I'm selling is by first making a list of every game I own. Then I rate them. 1 means I definitely sell it, 2 means I'm not sure, and 3 means I definitely keep it. Super Metroid I marked as a 3 and I'm keeping it that way. THAT'S how much I want to enjoy this game. :lol:

opa
64-bit

by opa Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Super Metroid isn't even that long of a game. Next time you pick it back up try to stick it out to the end (it's awesome).

edit:
re: Resident Evil statues - If I were wanting to keep people out of my secret lab I sure as heck would make you have to move a three-hundred pound statue across a room and kill a giant snake for an oddly shaped key.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Super Metroid is a masterpiece, though. You're crazy!

Just to prove to you how much I WANT to like this game... As far as selling my collection goes, how I determine what I'm keeping and what I'm selling is by first making a list of every game I own. Then I rate them. 1 means I definitely sell it, 2 means I'm not sure, and 3 means I definitely keep it. Super Metroid I marked as a 3 and I'm keeping it that way. THAT'S how much I want to enjoy this game. :lol:

I think I do make a distinction between games I don't like and games I just can't focus on. Coincidentally, for me lately it's the GBA Castlevania games. There's nothing bad about them, but there's no draw right now. But maybe I'll cycle around and like them in the future.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 pm

I couldn't get into the Castlevania GBA or DS games. Again, SotN being one of my favorites, as well as Castlevania being damn near my favorite franchise.

I always circle back though. There's been games I hated but ended up liking a lot MGS on PS1 for example. Bought it, hated it. Tried it about 10 years later and loved it.

Return to General Gaming