Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by MrPopo Thu May 05, 2022 2:00 pm

It's been ages since I played vanilla Quake, so I'm really not sure. Though it says something that the premier source port for Quake 1 (which is what I use) is called DarkPlaces.

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu May 05, 2022 2:09 pm

marurun wrote:
MrPopo wrote:There should be brightness and contrast options available, but Quake 1 definitely is on the dark end of things due to the choice of everything being shades or brown. Quake 2 is better in that regard thanks to them wanting to show off their new colored lights tech.

Did Quake 1 have a gamma option? It must have because I remember having to crank up the brightness BitD.

i tried to increase brightness but all it does it turn blacks into greys
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 pm

double barrel shotgun animation in Quake must be one of the worst and least satisfying gun action in any game in history. It was totally fun shooting enemies using the Shotgun in Doom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon May 16, 2022 4:29 am

Guy on twitter posted average games sold to Nintendo console ranging from the least NGB 4.2 up to most Wii at 9.1 . Thats very low number, am not sure if 5-10 games is worth investing in a console for especially considering the length of the generation being a minimum of 4-5 years. Add in there that a console can be used by more than 1 member of the family, so each might have his own game/s any way. My only guess many people buy consoles as toys for their kids then give them 2 or 3 games for them and soon their kids outgrow them. Just a guess...

link to tweet:
https://twitter.com/NintendoMemo/status ... 5778957313
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 am

Honestly, consoles with an attach rate of 8-10 are generally doing really well. The PS4 has an attach rate of 8.76 too, so it's not just a Nintendo thing. There's not many major consoles who mange to go above 10 software sales per console sale!

Not only is there the case of kids owning consoles without many games like you said, but lots of other factors too. Plenty of consoles are sold to adults who basically use them for a handful of games - Fortnite, COD, FIFA etc. Attach rates also only account for new game sales - people with bigger collections may be buying lots of the titles second hand as well.

Thinking back to when I was a teenager, as someone super invested in gaming, I still only owned about 12 GBA games and 20 Gamecube games. Many of those were second hand purchases too - I probably only skewed slightly above the attach rates overall. And I had a paper round and put most of my money towards gaming purchases - there's plenty of kids and teens without that level of disposable income, and plenty of adults who can't afford to spend much on games too.

I'd actually suspect you see a lot of people with very large game collections being counteracted by even more people who only have a handful of titles at most.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 am

Yep, this was me as well. Between renting and yard sales, I never needed to buy a whole lot of games new. Those were special occasion purchases. I also worked at Blockbuster in the early 00s, so I could rent any PS2 and Xbox game I wanted for free (and even some N64 and PS1 ones still), or buy them for cheap when we sold our stock. The used market was huge.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue May 17, 2022 4:23 am

Good call on the second hand games, that explains it. 10 new and maybe another 20 in used games make sense. Everyone playing more games, its just circling between them and that includes me. Also the fact that some people buy a console dedicated for one game or two games makes sense. I know people who will get PS just for CoD or some sports game I just didn't imagine they would be a significant number since (imo) they should enjoy other games too. I remember group of people who had a NGC and play Smash Bros. daily for months and nothing else.

I kind of read it more like "each console owner has only 9 games/console" , its more "9 new games sold for each console" .
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue May 17, 2022 6:20 am

In the 80's and 90's, I think you were lucky if you owned 10 games during a console's life. And that's including used.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 17, 2022 8:22 am

Ziggy587 wrote:In the 80's and 90's, I think you were lucky if you owned 10 games during a console's life. And that's including used.

Right. They were insanely expensive back then, and you definitely rented more than you bought.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue May 17, 2022 8:30 am

Ziggy587 wrote:In the 80's and 90's, I think you were lucky if you owned 10 games during a console's life. And that's including used.

But that's how you get so good. Just hope that all the games owned are at least better than mediocre, and you got yourself a fun time.

Add in friends and renting and you get exposed to a variety of games, but it's crazy to compare collections then and now. Child me would lose his mind.
Return to General Gaming