Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

This post has made me re-consider the Jaguar. SNES competitor and released in 1993, its pretty impressive for the time. The library is quite unique. Not sure how it compares to the 3DO. One thing that got my attention the Jaguar CD accessory sold for $300 fixed for inflation. I mean seriously, who buys these expensive toys? sounds like a Richie Rich thing.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Same as the CD-I and the PC Engine CD-ROM / TurboGrafx-CD. I had friends here in the west-coast of Canada that had relatives that owned these early-on while the other 16-bit gaming systems were not fully winning the console wars. I played games on them in the wild. It was in mind "rich-people toys" that were shown off, and I was blown away - I was totally impressed and always tried to get invited back to my friend's relatives houses to play them again. Compared to the early Genesis games, the 60fps with anime cutscenes and CD music, the games were totally superior. I was really jealous.
I try to do this now with my dual-screen 65" gaming PCs with two Steam accounts. My nephew has his friends over every weekend to sleep over and game on my systems. The kids love co-op gaming on the survival-horror crafting games. Earlier this evening, because my nephew's friend is not allowed to play violent or gory games, they played Grounded, Raft, Terraria, Crab Champions, and Small Land.
I always remember those cool uncles, and try my best to be one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I had a friend who had a 3DO in like 93/94. Compared to SNES, it felt like some rich people super machine from the future. Playing in FMV made your mind melt in awe. Mad Dog McCree still etched in my brain.

--
Speaking of kids playing videogames, I don't get this generation. When we were in elementary, games were simple with D-Pad and 2 buttons. Now its a huge 3D space with complex menus. I have to read the manual to figure out it. I am not sure if those elementary kids just bash the buttons and enjoy their time. I wonder if they still get excited to figure how to do something in a videogame with the internet. I remember it was like making a scientific discovery if we find a secret or a special combo.

Another weird thing with this generation is that they seem to enjoy watching someone play Minecraft on youtube than them actually playing the game.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I've had a Jaguar since the late 90s when I bought it from someone selling them at closeout prices. I've owned most of the most notable titles, selling them off bit by bit when I needed money. I sold this last few that I wanted to part with in 2020/2021 with the idea of using the money I got from those sales to fund the purchase of the Game Drive flash cart that was being worked on, but now that the Game Drive is available and apparently works well I just don't think I can justify the purchase of one. The games are just not there. I might buy a few cheap repro cartridges of games I'd like to play (Protector, Battlesphere, Power Drive Rally) and call it a day. There are a couple decent homebrews I might get, but those I'd buy boxed copies of to the support the developers.

I kind of wish I'd bought the Jag CD add-on when it was selling for cheap though. This is an insane wish because unlike the stock Jaguar which has a few good games, the Jag CD has zero (0) good games. The reason I'd want it is to play around with the cd system's VLM (Virtual Light Machine) music visualizer. But I don't think I'll be paying 700 bucks for that. It'd be cool if the hucksters that own Atari now teamed up with Jeff Minter to put out a new incarnation.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I can barely contain myself bros.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Image

I can barely contain myself bros.

STOP…Seriously, that’s enough D4. My body can only take so much.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes I know they're "just" a publisher now, but modern Atari (since 2018) has been awesome: Tempest 4000, Pong Quest, the qomp duo, the Recharged line, Atari Mania, Akka Arrh, Mr. Run and Jump, Haunted House, the recently released Lunar Lander Beyond...... Next up is a new "Sprint" racing game and, I kid you not, a "Yars" Metroidvania developed by WayForward. Ataribros, we are so back.