Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Gucci Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:28 pm

So this weekend I’ll be writing two of those little “I find X interesting” posts: one for the Nvidia Shield and the other for the GameBoy Micro with the Everdrive.

Having a bit of an issue with the second one. I have the original Everdrive where the cart protrudes out from the slot. I opted to buy the mini version. I had originally thought that I can take the micro SD from the original model and toss it into the mini but apparently I’m missing something. Games are all there but the saves are gone. I pop the SD card back on the original Everdrive and everything is back to normal.

What am I missing? Is it a firmware thing?
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:22 am

My guess would be a different folder structure. In the new device add a new ROM and make a save and see where it lands.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:21 am

Different file system. I didn’t even think about that at all. I’ll experiment with that.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm guessing it either uses a different save file naming scheme or just puts them in a different default folder.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Well this is awkward. It looks like the issues sorted itself out. Here’s what I think happened.

The Everdrive, from what I can understand, takes a game and loads it to memory every time you select a game. It loads the rom and, I believe, the save data. When you cold boot the console and you press Start on the Home Screen, it’ll recall the last selected game and load in faster (presumably because it’s still in memory).

So what I originally did was do the SD card swap and pressed Start on the Home Screen with the new mini and while it was able to recall the last game correctly (somehow), it did not have the ability to pull up the save data. That led to me thinking I did something wrong.

Just now, I started to select games I knew had save data. The saves started showing up. I then selected the game that started all this confusion and the save data and suspend data was present. I double checked the games I have for the GB/C using the Goomba emulator and everything is good there too.

Hopefully I didn’t sound confusing.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Will probably leave the Zelda discord because it turned into this strange world where they're all playing Skyward Sword and calling it one of the best Zelda games. I noticed that the critic scores are fantastic as well. I really don't know what I'm missing out on, because the game has even more unnecessary padding than Paddington the Bear.
opa
128-bit

by opa Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:54 pm

It's legit the worst mainline zelda. I will say it had a couple of really cool dungeons but that doesn't make up for the other 90% of the game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 pm

I'd like to remind you that Zelda II exists.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:36 pm

It's just a further continuance of the 'Zelda Reevaluation' pattern. Nothing new to see here, folks. Just Zelda fans being their usual crazy self.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Remember when Majora's Mask was hated and then loved? Remember when Windwaker was hated and then loved? Remember when Zelda II was hated and then loved?
Return to General Gaming