Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PretentiousHipster Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:01 pm

Well, now we know which video games are the best ever.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1442549731893202947?s=19
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:58 pm

Gucci wrote:One thing I started to appreciate while playing Far Cry Primal on the Xbox is the achievement percentage system. I love the fact that it tells you how many players unlocked that achievement.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but about 85% of players of that game unlocked that first achievement. That most likely means that 15% of the players didn’t even bother finishing the first mission.

That works for Steam Achievements too. My friend is obsessed with Final Fantasy VII and has bought multiple copies of the game. Well, he bought the Steam version and there is an achievement for winning your first battle. It happens only a few minutes after starting the game.

Less than 10% of the people who bought the game got that achievement.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 am

I won't say the name of the discord server, but I rejoined one despite the admin being an asshole because they deal with dos games. Literally the first convo I see in it was gatekeeping. Hating "hipster kids for using original hardware without being knowledgeable enough". I don't care that they used hipster as an insult since my username is tongue-in-cheek, but goddamn lol. Makes no sense to me too because I thought they would be happy that people have a vested interest in games of that era.
marurun

by marurun Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:27 am

We're all about some gatekeeping in this hobby, sadly, intentionally and unintentionally.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
VG_Addict
16-bit

by VG_Addict Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Beating a bunch of NES and SNES games this year has made me realize that most NES games, and honestly, a lot of SNES games, are short.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm

The length lies in them being super hard so you have to replay them a million times.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Markies wrote:
Gucci wrote:One thing I started to appreciate while playing Far Cry Primal on the Xbox is the achievement percentage system. I love the fact that it tells you how many players unlocked that achievement.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but about 85% of players of that game unlocked that first achievement. That most likely means that 15% of the players didn’t even bother finishing the first mission.

That works for Steam Achievements too. My friend is obsessed with Final Fantasy VII and has bought multiple copies of the game. Well, he bought the Steam version and there is an achievement for winning your first battle. It happens only a few minutes after starting the game.

Less than 10% of the people who bought the game got that achievement.

Curious: does that include all owners of the game, or does it count the people who added a second to the time clock that Steam tracks?
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:43 pm

VG_Addict wrote:Beating a bunch of NES and SNES games this year has made me realize that most NES games, and honestly, a lot of SNES games, are short.

IMO, that's not a bad thing.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:02 am

I’d imagine some of the RPGs of the time were the heavy hitters of “time to beat” which is something that continues to this day.

How Long to Beat pegs the two Lufia games on the SNES at nearly 30 hours with story + extras. Mario RPG is at nearly 20 hours.

Regardless, as we all know, time does not equal quality all the time. I had a wonderful time with the 10 to 11 hours I spent on South Park: the Stick of Truth, which was probably the shortest time I spent on an Obsidian game from New Vegas and onward.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 am

Speaking of SNES and NES reminded of the joy of beating a level only to see whats waiting for you on the other side, or meeting a new boss. There was no internet to tell you whats next or see a full play through. It was an excitement discovery and reveal of the unknown in that cartridge.

SamuraiMegas wrote:The length lies in them being super hard so you have to replay them a million times.

and no saves....so you have to redo the whole effort all over again.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
VG_Addict wrote:Beating a bunch of NES and SNES games this year has made me realize that most NES games, and honestly, a lot of SNES games, are short.

IMO, that's not a bad thing.

its bad when you paid $60 for and beat it in 2 hours. Like 90% of people, I am one of those who probably couldn't go more than single digital levels in games, especially platformers.
Return to General Gaming