Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by marurun Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Yeah, this isn't some weird change. It's just selective memory.

The only movies I remember based on videogames were Mortal Kombat, Mario Bros, Tomb Raider, Double Dragon, and Street Fighter but the games based on movies were a lot. Now its flipped over, I do not see much games based on the movie but there is a lot of tv/film based on videogames like:

Resident Evil
    Prince of Persia
    Max Payne
    Doom
    Assassin Creed
    Warcraft
    Witcher
    Monster Hunter
    Rampage
    Sonic
    The Angry Birds movie

and things seem to be pushing more towards that direction

Again, selective memory. There are still crap-tons of licensed games. Look at al the Lego titles, the Star Wars titles, the Marvel titles... There are even still Aliens-licensed games. There's Batman, there's Game of Thrones, Hobbit/Lord of the Rings still... Telltale games alone produced a ton of licensed properties.

Here's a Wikipedia article with a list of movies based on games. Notice the release timeline. Did the number of movies released based on games increase? Yes, because there are more games featuring stories adequate to base a movie on. That said, the numbers still aren't that different. The rate of increase is large but that's only because the numbers overall are so low. In the grand scheme of things it's actually not that dramatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ideo_games
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:22 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, Super Mario Bros. is the oldest US video game to movie that I can think of, since it was 1993. Double Dragon and Street Fighter were 1994, Mortal Kombat was 1995.

I've never seen that Double Dragon movie. I gotta watch that, even though I'm sure it's gonna be a mess. Lol.

I remember liking the Street Fighter animated movie though, I'd like to watch it again sometime.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 pm

I'm a fan of the Double Dragon movie. It has a lot of really fun set designs, special effects, and costumes. The storyline is cheesy but fun, and if you have a taste for bad movies, it's a good time! It's kind of dumb and definitely not for everyone but if nothing else, I think it's at least as good as the first Street Fighter movie.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:10 pm

Playing Yakuza 0 for the first time. First game in the series for me too.

Anyway, I’m big into Japanese whiskey and I got a kick out of one of the items being a real Japanese whiskey: Suntory Kakubin. Now I have to seek out a bottle!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:35 pm

Nemoide wrote:I'm a fan of the Double Dragon movie. It has a lot of really fun set designs, special effects, and costumes. The storyline is cheesy but fun, and if you have a taste for bad movies, it's a good time! It's kind of dumb and definitely not for everyone but if nothing else, I think it's at least as good as the first Street Fighter movie.

Was Double Dragon popular enough to make a movie based on it? Or was it a good premise to make a martial arts action film that was very popular then?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Honestly, it's kind of baffling that it got made: I assume some movie studio was able to license it on the cheap when they heard they were making a Super Mario Bros movie and people where thinking that video game movies might be a big thing.
Double Dragon was a big arcade and NES hit in the late 80s but by the early 90s, the series was in a weird position where they were were still churning out some poor-quality games and it had an animated TV series, but I don't think any of those did especially well. The premise for the movie has almost nothing to do with the games and is very much its own strange, very 90s thing.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 pm

I think we are seeing the beginnings of a series of decent-to-good live action video game movie adaptions that will hopefully lead to some stellar live action adaptions. To make a direct comparison to super hero movies, I think we are around Blade (1998)/X-Men (2000) era of quality for the most part. If Hollywood moves at the same pace, that means we are about a decade away from some really good adaptions! :lol: In typical fashion, animated movie and tv adaptions are vastly ahead in terms of quality. Much like Batman the Animated Series was in its day.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:21 am

I remember Double Dragon being pretty prominent even without the advertising (tho being subscribed to multiple gaming magazines definitely influenced my opinion). It was more popular among the arcade crowd, but the home rental was also very successful, and I rented some of the home console series multiple times for the 2 player side scrolling beat-em up experience. My younger brother even traded a game cart for DD2 so we could master it.
I remember when we rented the movie. We already thought it looked "lame", but when we watched it, it was a good movie, and not as crap as we expected. It had the feel of an afternoon high-school sitcom, but we watched that crap daily anyway, and it was not out-of-context for us, the audience.
doubt I could enjoy it now, but it was actually on point for the time it came out.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Nemoide wrote:Honestly, it's kind of baffling that it got made: I assume some movie studio was able to license it on the cheap when they heard they were making a Super Mario Bros movie and people where thinking that video game movies might be a big thing.
Double Dragon was a big arcade and NES hit in the late 80s but by the early 90s, the series was in a weird position where they were were still churning out some poor-quality games and it had an animated TV series, but I don't think any of those did especially well. The premise for the movie has almost nothing to do with the games and is very much its own strange, very 90s thing.

I remember DD being popular just not popular enough to be a culture icon so much so to build a movie upon it like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. As for the premise, you don't need much for a 90s martial arts one: 2 brothers fighting an evil boss/corporation , thats enough!

bmoc wrote:I think we are seeing the beginnings of a series of decent-to-good live action video game movie adaptions that will hopefully lead to some stellar live action adaptions. To make a direct comparison to super hero movies, I think we are around Blade (1998)/X-Men (2000) era of quality for the most part. If Hollywood moves at the same pace, that means we are about a decade away from some really good adaptions! :lol: In typical fashion, animated movie and tv adaptions are vastly ahead in terms of quality. Much like Batman the Animated Series was in its day.

I find many videogames have better storyline or premise than many movies and deserve to be a movie on its own. GTA, Uncharted, Dead Space, RE, FallOut, the Last of US I can see them all made into enjoyable movies for people who never even heard of the game.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:18 am

RCBH928 wrote:I find many videogames have better storyline or premise than many movies and deserve to be a movie on its own. GTA, Uncharted, Dead Space, RE, FallOut, the Last of US I can see them all made into enjoyable movies for people who never even heard of the game.

I hope the upcoming Uncharted movie does well so that Hollywood will look at Amy Henning's other big franchise. I would be down for a Legacy of Kain movie and/or tv show.
Return to General Gaming